*Need some advice*

saint777

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Im new to this forum, but not new to lincolns. I usta own a 97 cont, I am in the process of buying my buddy's uncle's 97 black on black Lsc. The car is fully loaded cd player sunroof etc...
The car also has only 61,000 miles on it. The rear passnger side strut seems too slam every time i roll over a bump, but the car says air ride ok. So whats the deal? The car is in good shape aside from some small inside cosmedics. He wants 4500 and wont budge. Is ths a good deal for me??and how much would it be for me to fix the air stut?? He says he just replaced the frount ones so me converting the whole car to no air struts would be kind or stupid no???? Is there anything in particular a should look for when buying one of these cars????? I know im asking alot of questions thanks.

Fronts are struts. Rears are Shocks.

The rear shock noise is a worn upper shock absorber. Easy fix.

Just replace the rear shocks which are conventional shocks and the upper shock absorbers and you'll be good to go.

Alternately, if you must insist on going with non air, I'll buy the front air struts from you if they are in good shape.

4500 sounds like a good price to me, if the car is in good shape.

New front airsprings and low mileage are some great selling points too.

The rear airsprings seem to last much longer than the fronts on these cars.

Mine are still original on my 94 Marks with 190 and 164 k miles on them.

There's technically not a strut there it's just a shock and an airbag... If it's making noise maybe a shock mount.

Thanks guys, So the rear shock is an cheep fix say like 100-200$ and a few hours of my time? Ive never replaced shocks before is it hard?? and how can i tell whather its the shock itself or the mount???

OK Guys you've convinced me enough, Im def going to get it, i love these cars. and theres so much aftermarket for them! unlike my eldorado, plus i love the fact its RWD, i dont even think lincoln makes a RWD car anymore!

Thanks guys, So the rear shock is an cheep fix say like 100-200$ and a few hours of my time? Ive never replaced shocks before is it hard?? and how can i tell whather its the shock itself or the mount???

If it's the mount you pull the carpeting back to expose the top of the shock in the trunk behind the back seat, or pull the back seat out for easier access. I got a pair of Thunderbird shocks new for about $25 IIRC, they include a rubber mount. If you go this route you'll need a torch to burn out the stock rubber piece from the original mount, then stick the new rubber piece in the original mount and bolt it back in. Took me an hour or two maybe.

Welcome to LvC and it looks like a pretty good deal. Shock mount is a cheap fix, unless you go out and buy a new one.

Take note that if you need any parts that are OEM call Maxx at 5 Star Ford He cuts LVC members a deep discount. Will save you a ton.

Amazing that Frogman didn't tell you to do a search LOL. Inside Joke. There is a nice thread about changing the shock mount I think done by chickenviii and shows the burning out of the stock shock mount. I've just cut the rubber out of mine. If yours is rotted out it should come out easy.

If you are an average size person or nimble enough you can get the mount from the trunk. Otherwise go the rear seat route. Rear seat bottom section pulls out then there are two bolts for the back rest.

Easy access to the shock mount.

Good Luck and stick around for some fun.

Aftermarket parts I am guessing you are talking about Mustang parts. There are more mods for a Mark VIII than an LS... not a ton but you can mod the hell out of a Mark VIII for the right money.

Good Luck.

Thanks guys you are all great help! The aftermarket i was talking about was in the engine department. As compared to my caddy, the lsc opens new doors to me. I had the old 4.9 and wanted to add some power to it, you couldent even buy a :q:q:q:qin cold air intake for the engine, for the lsc were talkin heads, cams, headers, and even superchagers.... its a whole new world for me as far as hp gains with this car. Ya its no chevy small block but it will do fine for me. I dont want to sound like Im suckin up to you guys but Ive gotten more help for a car i dident even buy yet from this place than ive ever gotten from any other forum for cars i do own:) , Yes it feels like a belong here already hay im about to get a Gold membership now before i even buy the :q:q:q:qin car!:eek: Its a Go I'll post some picks after i shell out my hard erned 4500 in a few hours thanks guys your the Best!!!!

Just gave the dude a deposit, I will be picking it up on monday witch is kind of dissapointing:mad: I was looking foward to shining her up cruzin today its like in the 50s today here in Boston, oh well I'm part of the crew now guys thanks a bunch!! I'll post some pics as soon as a get them :) :)

There is a nice thread about changing the shock mount I think done by chickenviii and shows the burning out of the stock shock mount. I've just cut the rubber out of mine. If yours is rotted out it should come out easy.

not me rich, i bought the mounts, then i read the post, but lucky me when removing the pass side mount the stud broke off, so i would of needed to buy new mounts anyway

by the way welcome to LVC, yet another gen 2!!!!!!!!!

Hell, motor mounts are relatively easy. Just make sure you have a cherry picker to lift the motor a bit, and air tools.

A can of penetrating oil helps too.

?huh we were talkin about rear shock mounts? did i loose ya frogman?

Members online

No members online now.
Back