need radio install help...please

Archangel

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps,
I have an 05 LS8 with the factory radio and I'm looking to install an aftermarket NAV unit.
The stock radio is the alpine with many speakers...This car also has lifetime Sirius hooked up to it. I'm the second owner and the 1st owner told me that the Sirius part of the radio was Factory/Dealer installed; came with the car when it was new...Antenna/receiver/wiring...etc

What I need advise/help with is or is there an adapter to buy that will allow me to use the factory Sirius equipment on a new aftermarket NAV radio? I know I will need some factory to aftermarket adapters for the install of a new NAV unit...Done this before on another vehicle.

I would really like to keep the life time subscription...I spoke with Sirius/XM and if I have to buy a new Satellite tuner due to a new NAV unit not being compatible with the satellite receiver from 2005 era, then I would have to purchase a new subscription.:/

Thanks,

...What I need advise/help with is or is there an adapter to buy that will allow me to use the factory Sirius equipment on a new aftermarket NAV radio? I know I will need some factory to aftermarket adapters for the install of a new NAV unit...

I seriously (or is that Siriusly) doubt it.

I dont think I have seen any adapters to use a OEM sat tuner with an aftermarket radio (at least with a ford/lincoln)

siriusalpine.jpg

This is what is installed in my Lincoln...I think and I say this because this is what was selling back around 2005...Wondering if anyone knows for sure if this will fit on a new aftermarket Nav unit.

Looking at the back of the factory radio...somewhere in the car is where the sirius receiver wiring gets transitioned over to the Lincoln wiring...Prolly in the trunk area...
Joe, I'm sure you can appreciate a guy trying to do his homework before he tears into the molding and dashboard.

I can put the NAV unit in, no problem...I would just hate to have everything torn apart and then find out I can or cannot do something without ordering more stuff or just calling it a day..I'm just trying to get all this right before dropping the dollars and committing the time to have my vehicle down.

thanks

siriusalpine.jpg

while that may have been installed by a dealer (doubtful) it surely wasn't installed by the factory.

it is an aftermarket sat tuner made for aftermarket alpine radios (Ai-Net enabled), and for it to be used with the factory radio, there should have been a translator module that converts from the Ai-net connector to the factory connector (also usually handles all of the data translating).

unfortunately, a few years ago after the merger, now there is a different manufacturer making all of the sat tuners, then now all use the same connectors and each radio "speaks" the same language. this will not work on any recent models released with in the last few years... the only radios this would work for would be any alpine radio with Ai-Net connectors and the "Sat radio ready" logo and wont work with any radios with the "XM Ready" or "SiriusXM Ready" logos

Gotcha...I figured it wouldn't be a plug and play easy job that would save some penny pincher like me a few bucks.

Thanks

It's very unlikely that what you have pictured is what is in your LS if it was dealer added and you have the factory radio.

Joe, would you happen to know what component might be installed and where it might be?

Thanks

so then, did any LS ever actually come from the factory with Sirius? I have never seen one with a non aftermarket antenna (ford factory antennas usually require a hole in the roof)

so then, did any LS ever actually come from the factory with Sirius? I have never seen one with a non aftermarket antenna (ford factory antennas usually require a hole in the roof)

I think it my have been a dealer installed option.

I believe you and Joe are right...that what I have is not factory installed...but more than likely dealer installed or the dealer had a contractor come out and install it for them and the dealer purchased the lifetime subscription.

This is what is installed on the top and rear of the trunk lid.
Having the Sat radio is pretty cool on those long trips...just press the sat button on the radio and tune in to your favorite station.

antenna.jpg

antenna.jpg

If the stereo is working and you are only wanting to add navigation, why not just use your phone or get a standalone that mounts to the windshield? I mean, so many people spend a buttload to install a navigation system on their car, but where do they ever go that they really need one? How often does one really need a box to tell them where they are going? Most people go to work, the grocery store and visit friends and relatives, and that's 90 percent of their driving and you should know the way by now. You say you are a penny pincher, yet want to put a navigation system in your car? Obviously your car, up to you to do what you want, but this is something to think about. I've never had a navigation system attached to my car, just grab the phone and have it show me the way. Personally though, I really prefer an old fashioned map.

I use my phone exclusively for a nav system and in every car I drive.

but the standard radio would cut it, I need it more integrated as far as the sound is concerned.

I actually got rid of my pioneer nav system in favor of a more simple AV unit, got rid of XM (that I've had since they flipped the switch) and started using Pandora and because of how easier it is to have Pandora (vs XM) on any listening platform in the house. any other music is all on internal storage in the phone. google now is perfect for voice commands. and I cant count how many hours of traffic jams live traffic on google maps has saved me. all comes through the more simple AV system, also since I already an expensive phone that runs everything well, getting a simpler radio with out nav allowed me to get a better quality radio for the same price.

if it ever needs changing, I will almost certainly go with something that has android auto but I dont think that I will ever go back to an internal nav system. its usually to much hassle to keep it up to date

If the stereo is working and you are only wanting to add navigation, why not just use your phone or get a standalone that mounts to the windshield? I mean, so many people spend a buttload to install a navigation system on their car, but where do they ever go that they really need one? How often does one really need a box to tell them where they are going? Most people go to work, the grocery store and visit friends and relatives, and that's 90 percent of their driving and you should know the way by now. You say you are a penny pincher, yet want to put a navigation system in your car? Obviously your car, up to you to do what you want, but this is something to think about. I've never had a navigation system attached to my car, just grab the phone and have it show me the way. Personally though, I really prefer an old fashioned map.

Maybe I should have used a different term than penny pincher...Perhaps CHEAP is the word...When I spend money, I try and get the most bang for the buck. :)

As far as Navigation on a big screen instead of a little phone screen...to me this is a plus...and there are times I very much enjoy being able to blue tooth my phone to my daughters car which has a full NAV radio,... stream that music instead of burning disks...See the weather map on a 7" display...finding the nearest gas stations and restaurants on a big display...being able to park backing in and truly seeing whats behind the vehicle...Sure I can live without these things and thank you for pointing out the practical side of things....

But when the Mrs. drives the car, she needs the NAV...believe me, she is not tech savoy with a phone but she knows how to use a NAV that's in the car...And this is true: before we ever had navigation on phones and in cars, when old fashion paper maps were the way to go...

My wife followed a friend to her house, stayed a while and she left to come home...While on her way home, she got lost and called me on her flip phone for directions to get home...She was less than 2 miles from our house ...

I'm house broken
*owned*

You guys must have really good eyesight. There is no way I could ever use my phone as a NAV system. And just voice control doesn't cut it for me.

And I even use my NAV for local destinations. If for no other reason than to get the time to destination. We also have family and friends all over the place... Explains my annual mileage...

Heh heh, sounds like you have good reasons then. Sorry, can't offer any assistance with the conversion you want to do, good luck with it.

I dont need to see it, I follow directions very well. but if I needed, a Note is never hard to see.

when old fashion paper maps were the way to go...

I decided we'd never be without a NAV system on a trip to Victoria, B.C about 13 years ago. My wife had been my navigator since we got married and had done a very fine job. We got off the ferry in Victoria, I handed the mp to my wife and asked which way we needed to go. She informed me that she couldn't read a map anymore. YIKES!! It took us about an hour and 25 miles to find the hotel that was 2 miles away. I decided then and there we wouldn't be without a built-in NAV on any future car!

You're absolutely correct about being easily able to find hotels, food and gas along the route. I can even talk on my phone while the navigation is still visible.

Yes, it should have been dealer installed only. I looked for a picture of the module most often used, but it looks like all the pictures have been taken down. I think that they were most often mounted somewhere behind or around the glove box.

Two other great things about built-in navigation:
1. When you startup, it already knows exactly which way you are pointed.
2. When you go through a tunnel or if the satellites are obscured from some other reason, it still knows where you are for a pretty good while since it can track movement via the VSS and turning via gyros.

Members online

No members online now.
Back