Need Opinions

johnboy89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Here's the story on a recent transaction for an engine that I bought for my GM vehicle. NOTE: Not anybody on this forum!!!

I would like some opinions on whether the seller has any responsibility on his part to make good on the deal.

The engine (long block) was described as a 70k engine maybe less but no more than that. That was all the info. I was given on it. The seller buy/sells parts for these vehicles.

I traveled 12 hours total for this engine and was expecting an engine that might need rings, bearings, etc.... or be used as is after inspection.

Well after tearing into the engine the bearings were shot wrong pistons, crank had already been turned and appeared n/g. The machine shop's evaluation determined that it needed to be decked, bored, line honed and maybe not worth using.

Now I feel that there is some fault on my end as maybe I should have inspected it before I bought it, but feel the buyer should have represented it better.

At this point I'm starting from scratch possibly and am out close to $1,000 including my travel time and tolls.

Thanx:)

Sorry to hear you got taken on this deal.
It is one more bit of evidence that buyers need to be more persistent when inquiring about something they are going to purchase.
Obviously the seller was not upfront on it's condition.
You have no recourse but, learn from this.
Use it as a yardstick on anything you intend to buy in the future.
Ask questions, and if you don't get straight answers, walk away from the deal.
Bob.

+1-

I learned a long time ago that if I walked away from any deal I had the slightest doubt about, I was no worse off then when I arrived-sellers will (in most cases) say just about anything to unload their stuff on unsuspecting buyers, YOU have to do the work to decide if there is any validity to their claims.

Worst case, you could try small claims court or have a letter sent by an attorney, it does work sometimes.

Have you talked to the seller about this? Everybody's jumping to the conclusion that he's trying to screw you, but it's entirely possible that the engine was misrepresented to him, as well, and he'd be willing to work out something with you.

Have you talked to the seller about this? Everybody's jumping to the conclusion that he's trying to screw you, but it's entirely possible that the engine was misrepresented to him, as well, and he'd be willing to work out something with you.

I probably should have mentioned this in the first post, but I have talked to him and he is willing to work something out. I don't think I will get what is needed back to make the deal fair though, we'll see.

My whole reason for the post was a part of me does feel that I should have dug further on it, but there was misrepresentation on his behalf also.

When I sell something especialy if it's pricey I want the buyer to be well aware of anything that is not right with it. There are times when I don't know much about the item I'm selling either, but the buyer will be made well aware of that especially if he/she is traveling a great distance to get it.

you should have asked more questions you need to at leas ask
the basics like is it stock
I am sorry but your only option is to take what he is willing to give

Members online

No members online now.
Back