Need opinions on this stereo setup

seanklsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying not to spend too much time on this decision because I don't want to get too crazy and I know anything I choose will be much better than my factory setup anyway.

So here it goes: I don't want to use a comp system because it's too expensive, I'm gonna replace all the wiring, swap the 5x7's, and probably leave the "tweeter's" in the doors but disconnected. I'm also gonna remove the stock amp cause who wants the extra weight in the trunk?

(4) INFINITY REFERENCE 6802CF 2-WAY 5x7/6x8" 180W
(1) MTX Thunder 564 4 Channel Amplifier 70 watts RMS x 4

I have a feeling the bass isn't going to hit hard enough with this setup. In that case, should I get a 5 channel amp and a single 12" sub w/ enclosure? It's something I could worry about later, I guess.

Whats up? Honestly,(Depending if you have the JBL, and the speakers work good.) I would keep all the factory speakers, and amp. But I would get a new deck, and just run a single channel amp, with 2 12"s. It's easy and it will sound great.

Thats what I did, I got a brand new Sony deck ($200), A 800W amp ($150), two brand new MTX Thunder 8000 15's ($300!!!!!!!!!), A ford premium sound connector ($4), and a new amp wiring kit from wal-mart (about $25). And you wouldnt have to spend that much on subs, really.

I did that, wired the new deck to the factory speakers, and used the factory amp, and it sounds EXTREMELY GREAT. Those two 15's POUND in the mark 8

PM me if you want more details.

94_Linc_mk8 said:
Whats up? Honestly,(Depending if you have the JBL, and the speakers work good.) I would keep all the factory speakers, and amp. But I would get a new deck, and just run a single channel amp, with 2 12"s. It's easy and it will sound great.

Thats what I did, I got a brand new Sony deck ($200), A 800W amp ($150), two brand new MTX Thunder 8000 15's ($300!!!!!!!!!), A ford premium sound connector ($4), and a new amp wiring kit from wal-mart (about $25). And you wouldnt have to spend that much on subs, really.

I did that, wired the new deck to the factory speakers, and used the factory amp, and it sounds EXTREMELY GREAT. Those two 15's POUND in the mark 8

PM me if you want more details.

Amen to that. I have the stock JBL speakers, and just got a new head unit and put in 2 12" subs (phoenix golds) with a 750 watt Viper amp. I couldn't be happier with the set up right now. They POUND and the sound quality is pretty good to

Ehh sorry but I really don't want the factory speakers. One is blown anyway from my current setup, if that makes you feel better. It couldn't handle the power from the Pioneer hu and the jbl amp I guess.

Doesn't anyone have any opinions on those Infinity Refs?

My 2 cents would be that you can't go wrong with Infinity. I had Ref's in my truck years ago and I had no complaints. The speakers are only part of it though. I wouldn't go with the MTX amp, but that's me. If you want it to hit hard, you're gonna need subs. I'd go one amp to the 4 Ref's and one to the sub(s).It's easier to tailor the power and sound that way.

Yeah I should probably get 2 separate amps. I didn't want the extra weight in the trunk.

What kinda amp should I get instead of the MTX? I know theirs isn't the BEST, but they're not a no-name brand and their stuff isn't very expensive like Rockford or JL.

Go to CBR Stereo their prices are pretty good. If you ask me you can do WAY better than Infinity, but to each their own.

I have Diamond audio in my doors, and I have JL's for the rear. I got the Diamonds from ebay, and the JL's I had for a short period of time. I am running 2 Kicker Comp SVC (freebies!!!) 10 inchers. I bought a Rockford Amp for the subs from CBR Stereo it is Model number 551S and puts out like 550W bridged at 4 ohms.

Their prices are pretty good, and their service is not that bad...not that great, but not that bad either.

Also, I would purchase round speakers vice the oval speakers due to sound quality. You can purchase some speaker rings from here and install regular round speakers in the locations.

My front stage is Diamond Audio M361i's (components....tweeter molded in the upper most panel on the door), and the rear stage is JL Audio VR-600 CS. They are older versions of what is out now, but those same speakers are not that expensive, and you can go cheaper by going with the non-component versions of both. CBR Stereo has pretty decent prices on those.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I would go check out CBR Stereo, see their prices and then compare between Infinity, and what they have there.

Hope that helps.
:Beer

ModPWR said:

I would stick with the round versions of those rather than the direct replacement oval versions. You get better sound quality out of a round speaker than an oval one.

I would go with this one from JL it is basically the same, but it is the round version rather than oval.

I personally do not like the MB's due to the fact that their tweeters are way too harsh on the ears.

Another one to look into is the mid line from Diamond Audio. They are a step above what I am using for the front stage in my car, and the ones in my car sound pretty good, so those ones should sound even better. Or you can spend a few extra bucks and go with the top of the line Diamond Audio.

I would go with the JL's if the you are only choosing between the JL's and the MB's, but like I said, you may want to look into the Diamond's. I had the S600s in my brothers truck (bought them for me, but was gonna buy his truck so I put the S600s in) and they sounded AWESOME. You could throw alot of power to them and they still sounded great. I now have the M361i's in my car (for now) and they sound pretty decent (the amp sux).

Hope that helps Jeremi.
:Beer

Beware of compass

Be careful when you install subs with strong magnets on a Gen I. The compass module is in the trunk up by the amp and will react if the magnets are too close. I have 2 8" subs mounted on the rear deck. There are already holes there and you don't have to do much cutting. They also play right into the car so the sound is not muffled like a speaker box in the trunk. But I had to move the compass module to the floor of the trunk.

The head unit is a Pioneer 4400 with a 12 disc changer and a 2X100 Pioneer amp for the subs. Adding the bass to the original JBL speaker system sounds great.

I recently replaced my factory stereo with a Clarion Head unit. The amp is still connected. I know the installer didn't do anything in the trunk. So I assume the factory AMP is still being used. Is the factory AMP hard wired? Should it have been bypassed? The reason I am asking is because I frequently experience my sound going to the left, then to the right, then full. What is going on? Has anyone experied this?

from what i understand if you want to bypass the amp you would have to rewire all speakers as the jbl system uses a special wiring harness. the speakers are wired to the amp the amp then is wired to the deck. if your amp is working ok stick with it, it will sound better than the deck.

seanklsc said:
I'm trying not to spend too much time on this decision because I don't want to get too crazy and I know anything I choose will be much better than my factory setup anyway.

So here it goes: I don't want to use a comp system because it's too expensive, I'm gonna replace all the wiring, swap the 5x7's, and probably leave the "tweeter's" in the doors but disconnected. I'm also gonna remove the stock amp cause who wants the extra weight in the trunk?

I have a feeling the bass isn't going to hit hard enough with this setup. In that case, should I get a 5 channel amp and a single 12" sub w/ enclosure? It's something I could worry about later, I guess.

dont go mtx, if you can find it Zapco, or US Amps are the best, small amps that pack a hell of a punch. jl tweets sound really good too, i fully recomend, dont go infinity, i had thier subs and they clamed to out power my cerwin vegas and blew up, the vegas were barely twitchin

seanklsc said:

Have you ever even installed a system in a car before? Your looking at doing a lot if time and work, if you want to re-do everything. I would get two big subs, and take advantage of the cars accoustic qualities, dont mess around with a single sub, and underpower it with a 4 channel. You wont be happy. BTW, I hope you're joking about the extra weight of a second amp.

I hate car audio. There isn't one single general opinion that any of you agree on, and it's like this on any forum. It's really every man for himself with this stereo install crap, you know what I mean?

Yes I've installed a system before. No I don't want 2 subs. No I didn't say I was gonna underpower it with a 4 channel.

No I'm not joking about the weight of the amp :)

I like MTX, another guy likes Infinity, another likes Vega's... so what... just buy one.

My NEW opinion is you should just do what you wanted to do in your first post, and forget what any of us ever said.

I have a tendancy to drive myself crazy because I want everything to be perfect. I usually have the patience. But not with car audio. I'm not sure why.

I had infinity components in a previous car and loved them....but they are not the brand for bass. I would agree with what most have said and leave the stock amp setup and get a mono amp(i have a sony mono amp and 1 audiobahn 12, and it's plenty for me) for whatever sub you choose. stay away from bandpass, in my opinion.

Infinity make great equipment. That's why they can charge more than other brands and still have millions of buyers. That is also why you don't find Infinity in places like Best Buy.

I used Infinity Reference Series speaker in my 96 Thunderbird. They were great speakers with a nice dynamic range and excellent sound reproduction. That was back in 1997. It's all a matter of personal preference though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back