need opinions on chrome trim

lsscott

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i got to thinking about what i can do on my gen1 non-sport chrome trim and the idea of instead of painting to match the car (goldish tan) i can paint it with the tint paint that you use to do tail lights lenses and what not to give it that "black chrome" look. just wanted to see what you guyts thought.

You may want to buy a used chrome strip and spray it and see what you think of it. My initial thought is that it may look pretty good, but the contast on that color may be a little too much.

I thought that too and that's a good idea. I'm just worried that the I won't be able to match the paint on the car seeing as how it's over 10 years old and we get a lot of sun here in texas

Is the chrome in good shape? I think the chrome on that particular color looks pretty good.

It's actually in really good shape. Plus I have the factory 16" chrome 5 spoke wheels. I just hate chrome. Plus I don't want it looking like grandmas car anymore

try color-matching the chrome. If you don't like the chrome, I'm sure you'll like the color matched look of your car better.

As far as getting it perfect, i don't think you'll ever be able to do that, not even a pro shop, but you can get pretty damm close. I recently color matched my rear surround and stock grille and it came out pretty good, for having no experience.

I'd say give it a try. Check out paintscratch.com for paint supplies. GL and report back

i have thought that too and i agree i like the color matched look much better but at the same time if i do that then its not any better than if it was a sport trim package. the goal is to be subtley different but not gaudy. im going to see if i have any chrome trim laying around the shop or at home and try that first. if i can find something i will paint it and lay it on the front bumper then take a pic and report back.

ok guys here is the report back. i also did the tail lights while i was at it. i just did the license plate surround to see how it would come out. dont know yet if i am all that happy with it. i did this with the vht night shades rattle can. the lights did ok but i dont quite think this will work on the chrome cause you can get a smooth single coat. might work better if done with an actual gun but hey it was worth a try. im going to leave it for a couple of days and see if it grows on me.

http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/tt120/irocscott/2001 Lincoln LS/

I might invest in some brighter bulbs for your tail lights now. Save yourself from some future troubles if they ever arise

yea it is on the to do list. what do any of you guys recommend. keep in mind that im on a pretty tight budget.

Maybe its the quality of the pic but it looks like you may as well just pant it black. Looks way to dark. Use Plasti-Dip if you do that way you can just peel it off cause you will probably get tired of it.

I personally feel that the whole matching the chrome with the body color is pointless unless its a black car (black blends away better). You still have this funny looking raised object in its place. It does look better than chrome but still looks off. Keep your eyes open for a LS your color being parted out with the sport bumpers and do the swap.

VHT does work on chrome and it works great if the objects small enough to fit in the oven between coats. I seen light coats VHT used on chrome headlight shrouds so light can still reflect but appear "blacked out yo!" or "murdered yall!". Both black and yellow are popular colors with BMW owners in the headlight shroud/bowl things so I know it works. The stuff is funny though, you have to use very thin coats. Im talking like dusting. The oven helps get rid of bubbles and orange peel if done right and helps a lot cause the stuff is watery. All it really is, is stained glass paint, and you can find it dirt cheap at Craft shops but black is one thats hard to find.

For bulbs like the tail lights I would use the Polarg brand in hyper white. They are the brightest and are cheap. Any that cost less really isn't worth it.

It's not the quality at all. It did cone out pretty dark. I'm going to wait to for a sunny day and see what it looks like then. I can always buff it off with sone compound later or just paint it to match but I do agree with you eles on the raised part. I just can't see spending the money on a whole bumper when ther is nothing wrong with mine except that I don't like the way it looks with a chrome strip. Maybe if it was damaged

. Maybe if it was damaged

So next time Mr. Softy the Ice Cream Man is on the block just pay some little kid with a soft serve twisty cone to kick it hard.;)

Oh, and you can always use Plasti-Dip as a primer if you wanna color match it or something. Like I said, Plasti-Dip just peels off so if you dont like the color matching it will all just peel right off.

Rofl. But what if I do like it. What is to keep from peeling off when I don't want it to

I always wondered that myself but I dont know of anyone to ever have a problem with it chipping or peeling.

You could just peel it off if you like it and do it up again for good but it holds trust me.

Members online

Back