Need new tires sometime soon

Dmaup

94m5 wanna be
Reaction score
Well, here's the deal. I'm gonna need new tires sometime soon. Im gonna try to make it through winter, but if I feel that they can't do it I'm gonna need to get some new ones.

I was wondering what everyone recomends, I have the stock rims and the search that I did showed that people like the:

Yokohama YK 420's
Falken Z 512

Are these tires good for performance all-season? On the Grand Prix I had I put the Fuzion HRI's on it and I liked them in the rain and dry weather but never had a chance to drive them in the snow. I have goodyear assurances on it now and they seem ok. I just don't care for goodyear.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Well, here's the deal. I'm gonna need new tires sometime soon. Im gonna try to make it through winter, but if I feel that they can't do it I'm gonna need to get some new ones.

I was wondering what everyone recomends, I have the stock rims and the search that I did showed that people like the:

Yokohama YK 420's
Falken Z 512

Are these tires good for performance all-season? On the Grand Prix I had I put the Fuzion HRI's on it and I liked them in the rain and dry weather but never had a chance to drive them in the snow. I have goodyear assurances on it now and they seem ok. I just don't care for goodyear.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

I was going to suggest goodyear assurances. They have a decent wear rate, and you can get them in "performance" ratings to satisfy the speed rating from the factory, which as I recall is H. The benifit of the assurances over another type of "performance" tire is if you wind up with a true performance tire(summer only), youll be kicking yourself in the winter weather (unless you get a set of summer tires and winter tires). It depends on what your trying to get from your ride. Tires really make a big impact on how your vehicle rides. Are you looking for comfort, or high responce/feedback, economy of price, or longevity, maybe something else? Tires, as with automobiles, dont allow you to have everything you want all in one. If your not a fan of the assurances, the Goodyear Eagle GT-HR might be the ticket. ($85 a pop on tirerack) But hands down, id go with Michelin Primacy MXV4 (which replaced the Energy MXV4/MXV4+ earlier this year) if you want to keep that blend of comfort and performance. They are a little more spendy than the Eagle GT-HR at $127, but Its a very economical tire as far as price:life is concerned.

I ONLY get Potenza RE950s. They are almost better on wet roads than dry! But in the snow, forget it :(

I ONLY get Potenza RE950s. They are almost better on wet roads than dry! But in the snow, forget it :(

Yeah....I have to have something that goes in the snow as this is my only car.

As far as what I want out of my tire. I want a decent mix of performance and ride quality. Although I want something more towards the performance but still a all-season tire.

There is nothing wrong with the assurances that I have. I really like them, it's just I've always put Firestone stuff on my cars. If I could get something similar to them that would be great. I have heard good things about the yokohomas that some of my friends have run.

I have Yokohama AVID V4S and I like them pretty well. IIRC they were decent in the snow, good enough for me to get around in the winter, but I didn't drive it a whole lot in the snow tho.

Yokohama YK 420's
Falken Z 512

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

I have the Falken on my 94 and 95 and I like them alot... great price... good handling in all weather even snow.

Yoko's are always a good choice.

Not all of us can afford to put on Top Dollar Tires but if you have the money and don't mind spending it go for them... Still there are very good lower end tires. So don't let anyone steer you in a direction you can't afford.

Also remember... If you like to spin the RWD a little those top end tires cost a lot more....;)

I have falken ze 512 255/50/16 in the rear they have been good but i will see if they do good this winter they have a lip to prevent curb rash and i think u can run that size tire all around but they have a 30,000 mile life span which is so so i also notice a pick up in mpg.They are like a $100 a piece for this size

I have falken ze 512 255/50/16 in the rear they have been good but i will see if they do good this winter they have a lip to prevent curb rash and i think u can run that size tire all around but they have a 30,000 mile life span which is so so i also notice a pick up in mpg.They are like a $100 a piece for this size

There is a Falken has a 245 50 16 tire that has a longer life span I believe 40,000 or 50,000.

And I haven't had any troubles with them in the snow. Taking infact that I was in snow and not driving like I was on clean roads.

I took them out in the first snow fall when I got them... roads not plowed. They worked as well as any standard radial tire for handling.. They are not snow tires but I wasn't all over the road with them and they seemed to stop well. I've driven in snow for 31 year and feel that I have enough experience with snow.

I use Michelin HydroEdge.
They are amazing in snow, rain, and dry streets.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/passenger-car-minivan/hydroedge/

They look sweet too :)

Thats what I would suggest, but the highest speed rating you can get is a T rating, which is int coencidal with the factory suggested rating of H (personally I wouldnt go less than V) which is why I suggested the goodyear assurances, they are almost identical tires other than a slight asthetic design diffrence, and the option for performance ratings.

I have the Falken ZIEX ZE512s on my LS, 235/50-17 or something like that. They were 'ok' in the snow last year. Nothing great. Already blew out two of them from potholes.

I was just thinking, it may not be kosher, but I remember having 245/50ZR/16s on my 95 at one point. If you wanted to go wider for traction (wider will help traction in wet or dry) technically you could fit 245s on there, I dont think its an approved fitment though. Papa Bear said he has 255/50/16s on his rear, thats how I would go, with 245's up front, but then you dont allow yourself that maximum 30,000 mile life because you wont be able to rotate them all arround, just side to side; but if you have directional rims, or if the tires you choose are directional, you couldnt even do that without dismounting/remounting the tires.

I dont mind spending a little more $ on the tires, they are very importnat to the way I like to drive. I've grown up a little bit from the way I used to drive, I no longer play speed racer in all of the corners :D but I still want to be able to do it if the urge strikes me.

As for price I think I may draw the line around $100 a piece.

And I want to stay close to the stock size.

I've got the Falkens. They are very good tires. I bought them off Tirerack.com and had them shipped to Michel Tire who put them on for me. Saved a bundle.

I had the Falken ze 512s before the yokos. I liked them, but the tread wore fast. They were decent in the snow, because that winter we had two heavy snows, and I worked both nights (I delivered pizza, yes in the Mark, no I'm not crazy).

I've had a couple of sets of Khumo Ecsta ASXs that were super. Haven't tried them on a Mark though.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=ECSTA+ASX&tirePageLocQty=

Imo, the ecstas are a great performance tire at an economy price, the tradeoff is they wear quickly. I run the stx line on my truck (275/60/17v) I have gone through a set in one year, not from "manual accelerated tread loss" ;), but rather regular wear. They are cheep enough to not really care though.

Definatly check out tire ratings and reviews at Tirerack.com
There is a lot of very good information on there.
Im using BF Goodrich Traction T/As, dry grip is great, I havent had them out in the rain much but so far they seem much better than whatever junk was on the car when I bought it.

On my last car I had BF Goodrich GForce Sport tires and they were awesome! Made a 2 ton Grand Marquis feel like a completely different car, excellent grip in both wet and dry. But those are summer performance tires so if you live in an area with snow dont bother with 'em.
Also, both the Sports and the Traction T/As are very reasonably priced.

Ebay has 4 tires for $340 and they are falken ze 512 255/50/16 with free shipping i also run symmetrys 225/60/16 i have had these for 5 years and they are awesome in the snow and hook up on the street from a launch. They have a 235/60/16 in the symmetry they might be a little wider but my thoughts on the way the side wall looks is so so

images.jpg

imp.jpg

I like the 235 60 16's better than the stock 225 60 16's The 235 are a tad bigger and look a bit wider.

The 245 50 16's are about the same hight as the 225 just wider.. Look great.

I went from stock sized tires to 245/50/16 Yokohama tires.

My wet traction is many times better with the wider footprint.

Members online

Back