Need Input/Advice

CaddiLvr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing my brother-in-law's 1997 STS. It's got 85,000 miles on it, and is in great condition. The Kelley Blue Book private party price for it is approx. $10.5K - $11K, but he's willing to sell it to me for $9K so it's a very tempting offer.

Anyway, I really want a car that is easily going to take me to 150-200K miles, and I'm just wondering what kind of experience you STS owners have had with high mileage vehicles. One of the problems I've read about on the internet has been oil consumption; however, he's never had to add oil at any time (he has oil changes at regular 3,000 intervals), so I don't expect this problem to be an issue with this car/engine. Again, is it reasonable to expect this car will easily make it to 150-200K miles (provided regular maintenance, of course)?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

I think they are pretty nice cars. I don't own one but I had a friend wholesale'n em for a couple of years. I would say if the worst was having to add a quasrt of oil every 5000-6000 miles, a case of oil for $20 will get you up to 150K. I think there is a little room in the price but that is up to you to squabble with your bro. Otherwise, nice cars that should run up to 150K without major problems.

Remember, piston rings have a tendency to "float" under heavy acceleration so if you have a lead foot, you will tend to burn more oil than a sedate driver.

The only other problem which would happen on any fwd car with a descent amount of power like the sts's have assuming you have a northstar. That is the tranny slipping or wearing out before the engine does. My brother had a 93 taurus ATX sho which had this experience and I'm told northstar cadillacs have it as well, espically if you are heavy on the gas. Though going over 75k-100 on a fwd you have to start looking at the possibility of transmission work. Having the fluid replaced with synthetic tranny fluid say like amsoil is well worth it. You just want to make sure it is a complete change and not just a pan drop which is less thanhalf of the fluid.

taking care of a car right can make it last alot longer. Any car is gonna have problems with it, but doing regular thing like changing the oil will make it last alonger

Ive had mine for almost a year now and had 1 small problem with the spark plugs misfireing. (cost bout 100 bucks) But other than that its been a dream. It does take about half a quart every 1000 miles which is no big deal just got to check it every so often. I also have a very heavy foot (tend to get in races with little rice burners) which is prob. why it consumes more oil than most.

Members online

No members online now.
Back