Need Help With Tire Size!!

jbhd

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Fellow LS enthusiasts,

I am in need of some good advice as to which tire size to put on my stock height 2001 LSV8 Sport. I am purchasing a set of 19x8 wheels with a 48mm offset and can't decide whether I should go with a P245/35-19 or a P245/40-19 tire size. The P245/35-19 is approximately 1/2" shorter in height (diameter) than the stock P235/50-17 and the P245/40-19 is approximately 1/2" taller in height (diameter) than the stock tires. I am leaning towards the P245/40-19 tire, as I don't want to have too small of a looking tire and would like the wheelwell filled out as much as possible without interference. Any help with this dilema or experience with these size tires would be gratefully appreciated. Pictures would definitely help and I thank you in advance.

Jeff

it all depends if you are planning on lowering the car or not? if i were you i would lower the car for better handling. i am running 30 series tires with 20s and a 1.8 in drop.

Broke LS,

By La Grange, do you mean La Grange, Illinois? Your P245/30-20's come out to be about the same diameter as the 245/35-19's. Do you think another 1/2 inch of wheel well fill would look good or are you happy with the way yours is filled out? I drive my LS everyday 60+ miles round trip and have debated whether lowering it would be sensible or not in my case. Believe me, I would love to lower it, but I'm not sure whether this would be wise as a daily driver. Your LS is very interesting and looks to be definitely a work of art. Maybe when I retire my LS from the daily grind, I will attempt some Van Gogh of my own.

Jeff

Look in my photo gallery. I have 255/40/19 in rear and 245/35/19 in front with 42mm offset. You should be ok with either tire with a better offset than mine. Im also dropped 2"

vbpgimage.jpg

02V8Sport,

Do you see any noticeable difference in the 35 series sidewall vs. the 40 series sidewall?

Jeff

i am in lagrange ohio although my car has been in chicago alot, but thats another story, i had 35 series on my lexanis and still had room to drop and inch and a half. i could have dropped 2 inches with what i have now and been fine, i had 2 1/4 in to play with. dropping it did not affect the ride quality, it actually feels better.

02V8Sport,

Do you see any noticeable difference in the 35 series sidewall vs. the 40 series sidewall?

Jeff

I would prefer the 40 series all around just for the cushion. The 35's are very thin. But yes there is a noticable difference between the 35 and 40 series, the back tire looks meatier. With my 2" drop, the 40 series will rub in the front on sharp turns thats why I have 35's in front.

02V8Sport,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be OK with the 40's all the way around on mine, since they are all going to be 245's on 8" rims with a 49mm offset vs. yours on 9" rims with a 42mm offset?

Thanks again, Jeff

02V8Sport,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be OK with the 40's all the way around on mine, since they are all going to be 245's on 8" rims with a 49mm offset vs. yours on 9" rims with a 42mm offset?

Thanks again, Jeff

No problem Jeff, are you going to lower?

I think you will be fine with 245/40 with a 48mm offset

My wheels are also 8" with a 42mm offset, so you are better off than me by 6mm.

If you want to stay away from bent rims, go with the 40's. It will also fill out the wheel well better.

Members online

No members online now.
Back