Need help with Aftermarket Radio Harness, Double Din

iMissMyTownCar

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
New to the forum but have been creeping/searching around the forum learning about my "new to me" car for a few days.

My mint 94 Town Car met a concrete wall at 55 mph last week after a semi cut me off. Picked up a 1996 Continental (Anniversary ed.) over the weekend and have been receiving goodies from eBay and Amazon all week to outfit the new car.

Among those items was a Double Din Kenwood head unit (model DDX372BT) and wiring harness set (Scosche model FDK8B).
I've seen MooJohn and Terrapin88's posts about their successful installs with similar units but have not been able to find what harness everyone is using.

Car is equipped with the JBL system and the Scosche harness that came in wasn't even close for the amp bypass or amp to speaker wire harness. The main power/ground harness fit, however.
I know I have some plastic trimming ahead of me to fit the double din unit, but can't find the proper harnesses for the life of me.
I've tried Crutchfield and SonicElectronix, but to no avail.

Can someone help me out here?

In my experience with Ford premium audio systems, you feed the new radio's speaker outputs into the factory amp's inputs. I looked up a 96 Continental on Metra's website and came up with this:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/71-5600

This kit looks to do the same with RCA level outputs but I've found Ford's amps to not be sensitive enough to use RCA level audio. I'd stick with the first kit & speaker level signals.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5603

Those of us with 98+ cars don't get JBL; we get the "Alpine" system which is just a name stuck onto the radio. The speakers and the sound don't hold a candle to the JBL systems of previous years. The good news is it's a lot easier for us to replace it when it's time for aftermarket.

The dash on a 96 is quite different from 98+ so you've got more trimming to do. It's well worth it if you can make it fit though!

In my experience with Ford premium audio systems, you feed the new radio's speaker outputs into the factory amp's inputs. I looked up a 96 Continental on Metra's website and came up with this:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/71-5600

This kit looks to do the same with RCA level outputs but I've found Ford's amps to not be sensitive enough to use RCA level audio. I'd stick with the first kit & speaker level signals.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5603

Those of us with 98+ cars don't get JBL; we get the "Alpine" system which is just a name stuck onto the radio. The speakers and the sound don't hold a candle to the JBL systems of previous years. The good news is it's a lot easier for us to replace it when it's time for aftermarket.

The dash on a 96 is quite different from 98+ so you've got more trimming to do. It's well worth it if you can make it fit though!

Thanks for the quick response MooJohn - appreciate it. On the town car there was a jumper cable to completely bypass the factory amp. Is that not necessary with an aftermarket head unit on the continentals?

you have 2 options for the 96 continentals

1. use the audio rca output and connect that to the rcu (rear chassis unit) at the trunk, it will automatically feed the signal to the existing amp, the adapter for this will be different since it will use only the rca out and the remote signal. one caveat though is that your new head unit must be able to control the rca out so that you can adjust the volume. this will involve running less wires going into the trunk but the adapter might not be available or you have to create your own. setup is similar to same MY ford taurus where they use RCU for the sound system.

2. use the common adapter and bypass the amp by connecting all the speakers directly to your new head unit. this means running all the wires all the way to the trunk and splicing the speakers connections.

if the head unit is decent enough I would go with option #2.

i have a 98 and it has a jbl system.

you have 2 options for the 96 continentals

1. use the audio rca output and connect that to the rcu (rear chassis unit) at the trunk, it will automatically feed the signal to the existing amp, the adapter for this will be different since it will use only the rca out and the remote signal. one caveat though is that your new head unit must be able to control the rca out so that you can adjust the volume. this will involve running less wires going into the trunk but the adapter might not be available or you have to create your own. setup is similar to same MY ford taurus where they use RCU for the sound system.

2. use the common adapter and bypass the amp by connecting all the speakers directly to your new head unit. this means running all the wires all the way to the trunk and splicing the speakers connections.

if the head unit is decent enough I would go with option #2.

i have a 98 and it has a jbl system.

lincolnelite, thanks for your post. My new head unit (Kenwood DDX372BT) has 6 RCA outs on it.
If you can clarify this for me - the Green adapter that's shown in the Metra 70-5603 model above is supposed to plug into the stock amplifier? If so that would explain why it wasn't even close to the black plug behind the deck.

Also, I've been hearing that if you don't have an antenna cable behind the deck (which I don't), I would need to run all new speaker wires (says Best Buy and local audio shop). Also according to Installer.com (not sure how reputable they are).
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-5603
From their site: "NOTE: Factory radio must have an antenna cable plugged into it, if not use 70-5601 instead"

I'm going to try to include a few photos from my car.
Black plug that's shown is the one behind the stock deck. IMG_1279.jpgIMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Sorry for the sideways photos. They didn't show up that way on my computer. Amp in the back has 4 connections.

To help anyone else who finds this thread, hoping to accomplish the same feat, hopefully these will answer your questions.
It took me close to 2 weeks to find out the real answers & order parts (even the Best Buy install bay recommended the wrong part).

1996 Lincoln Continental Anniversary Edition (with JBL premium sound): IF you do NOT have a separate antenna wire behind your factory radio, you MUST buy the wiring harness listed below.

Harness to buy: Metra 70-5601
Installation Dash Kit to buy: Metra 95-5817
Double Din Head Unit used in my install: Kenwood DDX372BT
Backup Camera used in my install: Esky EC135-05

Estimated Time Spent: 7 hours
Difficulty Level: Medium to Hard (with 1-2 additional people to help keep you from going insane)

Quick and dirty explanation of install:

1) Remove stock radio using Radio Removal Tools (a brand similar to the "OTC 7575" will work). Unplug both harnesses - you will not be using the squared black plug with the new deck.

2) Remove "grocery carrier" from trunk (if applicable)
- Remove back seat (upper and lower). To remove the lower section of the seat, push firmly on the front of the seat towards the BACK of the car and slightly UP. Remove the upper section of seat by removing the 2 bolts holding it into place.
-After the upper portion of the seat is removed, you'll see a black rubber/foam covering where the seat was. You'll find 2 flaps/access doors to the trunk within this foam. Flip these open and remove the 2 bolts securing the back of the grocery rails.
-Now, remove the final 2 bolts from the rails near the back of the trunk (back of the car). Pull out the entire rack/rails.

3) Pull out the interior pillar molding from both sides of the car (if installing subwoofers, one side will do). These are held in with clips, be gentle while separating these from the floor panels and seatbelt pillars.

4) Pull down the carpet, plastic molding from the upper lid inside the trunk. This will expose the amp/wiring.

5) Disconnect the black plug on the amp that is directly left of the sticker on the amp. Connect this to the black plug from Metra 70-5601 harness. Disconnect the antenna cable from the amp - and connect this to the antenna plug supplied in the Metra 70-5601 harness.

6) Run the Metra 70-5601 harness above the carpet/plastic molding in the trunk (for a clean install), down to the plastic flaps (to go inside the cabin) where you removed the grocery carrier bolts. Run this harness under the foam in the back seat - all the way to the right side of the car. You will now run this harness under the carpet, all the way to the front of the car (where you will have to remove the corner panel and kick panel). Run these wires up above where your feet would go, into the back of the radio bay.

7) Splice in the wires from the gray plug (Metra harness) to your new radio's harness - red, black, yellow ,etc.

8) Splice in the other wires from the Metra harness to your new radio's harness - green, purple, etc.

9) Connect the antenna cable from the Metra harness to your new radio.

10) If installing a double din, cut out the black piece of plastic at the TOP of your radio bay - you will not be able to fit the new radio without doing this. I used tin snips and cut at the top left and top right corner.

11) If you're not installing subwoofers - plug in the metra harness' gray plug to the car's gray plug in your radio bay. Secure radio into place using Metra install kit (95-5817).

Not detailed subwoofer install:
1) Get your box(es) and amp(s) in the trunk & run your RCA cables down the same side as the Metra harness (step 6 above). Plug these into the back of your new radio when ready.

2) Run your power down the opposite side of your metra harness/RCA cables. Easiest place to start is at the front of the car. You will be running the power wire through the front-left quarter panel of the car. You will see a small hole by the hinge when you open the driver's door. Route your power wire from the fender into that hole, so it comes out under the dash. Run this wire under the carpet, all the way back to the trunk.

3) Connect your ground wire to the bolts where the grocery carrier was mounted (HOW CONVENIENT).

4) Make all your amp connections, etc, etc

I've made some knowledge assumptions in the steps above, so ask if you have any questions. I will not teach you how to install amps/subs, etc, but if you have general questions for relating to where I wired something or tools used, please ask.

NOTE: I did have access to some specialized tools for install (i.e. for running a fat 2GA wire into the interior), so you may need to make due with what you have, or take it to an installer.

99% finished (just need to order an Apple 30-pin to AV cable, then I'll "click in" the metra install kit)

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

That looks great. :)

Been trying to figure out if I want to do this to mine.

I'd like to get the Lincoln welcome page on the screen like MooJohn has on his car. That looks amazing.

That looks great! What a huge PITA it is for cars with the radio's "brain" in the trunk though. I clipped the hands-free microphone to the top of the driver's side A pillar trim. The wire will reach and it works great; people say they can't tell they're on speakerphone most of the time.

Most Kenwood models support a custom boot screen as long as you format the image properly. I will share mine with anyone who wants it!

Members online

Back