need help VIBRATION Lincoln LS 2000

F

FIRE666

i searched the site earlier and found some things helpful but the thread starter never said if he solved his prob. ive had a small vibration for the whole time ive owned my ls and at only high speeds 80+. Now its developed into a real pain. the vibration gets heavy around 40mph and above. my tires were pretty well shot from donuts and 20000 miles worth of wear. so new tires balanced and vibration seems to be worse. please need your comments before i take car to stealership so i can have some good knowledge going into it thanks

do you happen to have chrome wheels?
on mine, the chrome lets moisture in behind it and then the aluminum swells. this creates a nightmare when trying to balance. you have to make sure that the wheel opening where the center cap fits its cleaned up, round, and concentric with the outside diameter of the wheel/tire. many tire shops use a cone to clamp the wheel into the balancer. if you dont do this, the wheel gets balanced off center.
i had 4 new tires put on and it was HORRIBLE. I cleaned up the wheels with a file (draw filing) and had them rebalanced and while not perfect, it is liveable. File the face that sits on the rotor with a flat file (most files are curved to a small extent) and the center cap opening with a round file.

also make sure your car is aligned. have them check tie rod ends (inners and outters) and ball joints... all the usual stuff that goes on these cars. even shocks are a possibility with miles on a 2000. the wheel may continually just bounce.

if you drive too long like this on the new tires, they will be junk and never ride smooth so dont delay in getting this fixed, or at least reduced if its the wheels and you cant afford new ones.

one last note, make sure your wheels sit flat before torquing down at all. i usually go all around in a star pattern until all bottom, then go finger tight, then go finger tight again as i tap the wheel. then snug with the lug wrench holding close to the nut, then again holding out at the end... you get the idea... until finally torquing with a torque wrench. i also put antisieze on the inside part of the wheel to prevent further damage.

My stock wheels gave me a shimmy at anything over 80. They were bent like mofos that road force balancing couldn't help. If you have stockers, either have them road force balanced or see if the wheels are really bent up in spots. If they're not stock wheels, make sure you use a hubcentric ring to center the wheel on the hub.

bad VIBES

what is hubcentric ring?? also i have 20 inch rims had no vibrations last summer. took off rims in winter for stockers. recent work ive had done is new rack 4 months ago new steering knuckles last year so i have a pretty fresh alignment. I noticed the tire people used a lot of weight to balance my tires and there wasnt that much before., no where near as much. i will keep all of your comments in mind and i will check this more to see any new ones you may have thank you

mine had a lot of weights as well until i touched up the wheels. once it seated properly on the balancer, it was fine. i get a minor shake at 90 that quickly goes away. i also have a bad hub/bearing assy thats getting replaced next nice weekend. i dont expect that to make too much of a difference, but it will be quieter. i'll also be able to hear if another one is going.

Vibbbbbbbbbbbbbbes

so should i treat the wheel guys like complete morons and tell them how to do their job. you said wheel tweaked?/ ive thought of the possibility of a bent rim but it got worse all of a sudden with out hitting a huge pothole or something that coukd have damaged the rim. Im running Wanli 1089 s , not my first choice but had to get something cuz old tires were almost smooth. thought the new tires would fix the issue. Also thought of the wheel bearing issue. I had replaced the pass side one about 4 months ago. probably should have did both then but didnt. driver side will be replaced tomorrow or next day. the virbration seems to come from driver front but i did notice when i had my back seat down the vibration would cause almost a helicopter sound. this sucks i love my car. I would love to think that the prob is a bad seating issue but i would also like to think that the tire people know how to put a tire on. thoughts ???????????? thanks again

Hopefully this is not sounding harsh but I bet doing line locks ( not to be confused with burnouts ) has everything to do with it along with giving the fact that you have 20" wheels.

Only one wheel spins on the LS. I'm not saying this is 100% possible but have you considered something being bent or twisted some where in the suspension?

Just some thought.

Helicopter noise would be the tires most likely. The tread patterns in some tires tend to resonate at certain speeds and when two tires get out of resonance slightly the sound waves that you hear will cancel each other out. Google "sound cancellation" and you can find out more about it.

Try better tires.

Does the steering wheel shake any when this is going on? That would be an indication of a wheel out of balance, or even a bent wheel.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yep slight steering wheel wobble. didnt have tome to replace bearing today. could i use some sort of tool to check if a rim is bent?? visually they seem perfect. i guess i should just get new bearing new rotors new pads re balance and new alignment. i hate this :q:q:q:q. if from illinois and the dealer here is of the sort who just tries changing this or that to fix the problem rather than diagnosing correctly and solving it in a timley manner.. maybe ill put my stockers back on to see if the vibration is the same.. oh outside tread on rear stock wheel is worn significantly more than inner tread...could this matter

Uneven tire wear could indicate a bad alignment.

To see if the wheels are bent just jack up the car one corner at a time, and spin each wheel.
To do the back it might be easier to put the back end up on jack stands and just put the car in drive.
Then watch the edge of the rim for side to side or up and down movement.
It really doesnt take a lot of movement to throw a wheel way out of balance. I have about 260 grams of balance weights on one of my wheels because it has just a very slight wobble to it. The edge of the wheel moves about 2mm up and down when I watch it spin.

My car has had a horrible vibration for the past 20k miles and the dealer blamed it on my Tires... I honestly gave up. I had both hub bearings replaced, an alignment, road force balanced, new tires and still i get a vibration a bad one at that if I drive any speed above 65mph, and it gets worse the faster I drive. I feel my vibration through the seat, the pedals, the steering wheel everywhere!!! Please if anyone has some light to shine on this situation HELP a brother out!!!

ive got the same thing my friend i work at a dealership and they told me its UNDOUBTEDLY the aluminium on the inside of the rim bubbling, so far corroded are the inner rims that i think the only fix is new rims, my vibration comes after 90kph roughly 60 mph

Members online

No members online now.
Back