Need Help- Rear brake and parking brake question

Well, still no luck. I noticed today that when I hit a bump it feels like one of the brakes is grabbing real hard even without the brakes pushed in. I still think it is something with the parking brake. Looks like I will take it to someone else on Monday.

Owlman, tried what you said and I am not sure if it helped. I can hear the brake set and release but this has been the case all along. After doing this three times, I got the service brake message. Turn the car off and it resets.

Drove the car home tonight and the brakes did not get hot. However, it feels as though the car is being restricted somewhat while driving. I am truly at a loss on this one. I have had 2 people look at it now and it has all of us stumped. I am going to try driving it around tomorrow and hope that nothing burns ups.

Is the parking brake located inside the drum or is it part of the caliper? If it is part of the caliper, might be best to just replace them. Also, someone mentioned disconnecting the parking brake to see if that is the problem. Is this easily done? Once again, thanks to everyone for your help.

What drum? There is no drum on the LS. The parking brake is that big cable that attaches to the bottom of the rear calipers. The rear brake pads are used for the parking/emergency brake. Disconnect the parking brake cables from the calipers so that you will see that you are blaming the wrong thing. This isn't a parking brake problem. It is a rear brake problem.
Either...
1. The pistons weren't turned all the way in and then the notch aligned.
2. The calipers are damaged and the pistons are sticking.
3. The calipers are installed on the slides incorrectly.
4. The wrong pads or rotors were used.
5. The rear check valve in the master cylinder was damaged when you pushed the pads in.

These things are reasonably easy to trouble shoot. Once you've convinced yourself to stop blaming the parking brake, we can start that process.

I htought that might be the case as well but we broke it down again and made sure everything was lined up. Oh well, the car is going to another service guy tomorrow to get his opinion. I really appreciate everyones help.

Took it to another guy (former Ford service tech) and he has no idea. He reinstalled new pads yet again, turned rotors and put everything back together. Both rear wheels still get hot, not to the point of smoking, but too hot to touch after 25 miles. Jacked the car up and wheeks spin freely an stop with both brake and parking brake. Once released, spins freely again.
He is saying it is b/c the pads are new and need to break in.

Looks like I am just going to buy 2 new calipers and start there. Any suggestion where to buy and what brand?

Once again, thanks to everyone who has tried to help out.

Members online

Back