Need help! please

06LSMero

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 06 lincoln has 52,000 miles, and have run into a major issue... It overheats all the time, did a pressure test and found a leak, and got it fixed..Even with the leak sealed and no coolant leaking the car will over heat and the reserve tank will have the coolant boiling.. *quick note* my buddy was trying to pull out the thermostat and broke it so running the car with no stat.. Would this be the reason why my car is overheating. I have been told it could also be the fact that i did not bleed the cooling system and have air in the lines.But the car will not over heat if I have the heater running ..

Any ideas?

having air bubbles in the system could cause overheating issues, and if you didnt bleed the system after you fixed the leak there could be your problem

and not having a Tstat would not create a overheating situation, but it could cause an issue where the motor doesn't get up to the correct temp quick enough (not your problem)

there are a couple of guys running around with out T-stats, also in hot climate areas

Other than the bleeding the system, are there any other factors that could lead to the car overheating.. My fan is working, there is still pressure in hoses when on, the other thing that has been brought to my attention is a blown head gasket,but no smoke out of exhaust, no rough idle..

So running with no thermostat will not be a factor for it to be over heating?

Other than the bleeding the system, are there any other factors that could lead to the car overheating.. My fan is working, there is still pressure in hoses when on, the other thing that has been brought to my attention is a blown head gasket,but no smoke out of exhaust, no rough idle..

I don't know why you want to ignore the bleeding. It is very well proven that not properly bleeding the air out of the cooling system leads to overheating.

The LS V8 is not known for blowing head gaskets. In fact, I haven't heard of a head gasket failure yet.

Follow the procedure below to the letter, possibly twice.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

Oh most definetly not ruling it out just in the case that it so happens to not be that.. but from what it sounds like that seems to be a common issue with these cars. Also what is that part in the picture that they use so the special tool. And in the tech forum on here they dont use that tool it it highly necessary?

i dont think so, unless the water is flowing too fast to be able to absorb the heat from the metal (which i dont believe this is the case)

Oh most definetly not ruling it out just in the case that it so happens to not be that.. but from what it sounds like that seems to be a common issue with these cars. Also what is that part in the picture that they use so the special tool. And in the tech forum on here they dont use that tool it it highly necessary?

I'm not sure what part/tool you are asking about. A flat blade screwdriver is the only tool required to do the bleeding. This would be to open and close the heater bleed.

RADKITPLUS kit is what the instructions included.. I do appreciate all the help and advice... im hoping this will take care of the problem, driving in a 110 degree weather with the heater onis no fun

RADKITPLUS kit is what the instructions included.. I do appreciate all the help and advice... im hoping this will take care of the problem, driving in a 110 degree weather with the heater onis no fun

Radkitplus is automated dealer equipment. You don't need it.

Oh I see, thats great, so am i going to need anything to catch the coolant that comes out of the heater bleed ?

Oh I see, thats great, so am i going to need anything to catch the coolant that comes out of the heater bleed ?

It's not really practical to catch it. Just hose the area down really good after your done. It doesn't take much anti-freeze to kill a pet, and unfortunately it tastes good.

nope. it'll drain onto the floor. I've never had an excess of fluid come out when I drain it (couple oz MAX, normally not even that).

Are you losing any coolant? Is the level where it should be? HAve you noticed any puddles of fluid behind the driver's side wheel?

im only running water, and my levels are fine and im not losing any.. no puddles behind the driver side. What does it mean when you try to vent the motor and only cold air comes out?

You should run diluted coolant instead of water. And install a thermostat. And refill/bleed the system properly. Should solve your problem.

i havent ran coolant because of the fact when it was leaking i kept losing all my coolant so now im just waiting till this car is fixed.. My buddy told me it could be a resevour cap thats bad, thats why its boiling could that be something or highly unlikely?

I just replaced my entire degas bottle because it was cracked, causing air to enter the system, lose coolant, and overheat.

Since you aren't losing coolant, the cap is a likely suspect. If the seal isn't working properly, the system cannot pressurize. If it cannot pressurize, the coolant will boil at a lower temperature. Since you aren't leaking fluid, I'm assuming that there are no other areas where you are not keeping pressure (I think any of the other places would leak coolant as well).

I still think you need to install a thermostat, refill with recommended coolant at the proper dilution, and bleed the system. Hell, if anything, just bleed the system right now. It's free.

I don't know why you want to ignore the bleeding. It is very well proven that not properly bleeding the air out of the cooling system leads to overheating.

Follow the procedure below to the letter, possibly twice.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

Quoted for truth.

Bleeding the system should be your first step. You are really overthinking the situation. Take a look at the obvious first, then reevaluate. You need to put forth some effort and try what we are recommending.

Ok sorry just trying to get asmuch info as possible.. bought to drop my car off at my friends shop to have him bleed the system, or is it soemthing that i can do quickly in the parking lot at my job?

yep. very easy to do. Just check that link that joe posted. Very easy process. Just make sure you have some extra fluid to fill what is lost.

Ok just finished the bleed, did it 3 times just to check and goes by pretty good till i rev a lil bit and it starts jumping quickly .. Man idk what else it could be

Ok just finished the bleed, did it 3 times just to check and goes by pretty good till i rev a lil bit and it starts jumping quickly .. Man idk what else it could be

Did you get a constant stream of water shooting out of the heater bleed by the end of the procedure? If not, it's still not correctly bled.

I had a faulty cylinder head temp sensor on my LS when it reached about 100K.

Yup i got it to start shooting out water by the 3rd time ... but then again idk if its cause it start boiling or wat.

Yup i got it to start shooting out water by the 3rd time ... but then again idk if its cause it start boiling or wat.

Then, I guess it's time for the usual suspects.

Is the electric fan running at a fairly high speed?

Does air flow freely through the radiator? (A lot of trash can collect between the radiator, transmission cooler, and the AC condenser.)

Is the coolant good looking, or does it have sludge or chunks in it?

Has the thermostat been checked or replaced? Was it reassembled correctly?

I suppose it could be a water pump problem, but that is rare.

You also have an electric aux water pump, but it is mainly for the heater. (That's one of the reasons to set the climate control to 90 during the bleeding.)

Have you measured actual cooling system temperature?

The Fan is working and the speed is high..

How can i tell if the radiator is flowing freely?

No chunks or sludge, but could the fact that I was just using water be a bad thing for the bleed?

there is no thermostat ...

Well when my car has the defroster on to vent the motor is blows cold air I dont know if that means anything ?

How do i mesaure the cooling system temp?

Members online

Back