Need help, lost my keys

General Discussion Forum

1. Verluise

Verluise New LVC Member

Hello, I need help! I have lost my key fob from my 2018 Cadillac ATS , contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Call some local locksmiths. One of them may be able to do it for less, and may be able to come to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Verluise

Verluise New LVC Member

yeah, eventually I did just that! Someone replied to my cry for help on another forum that I'm a member of - and they shared a link to a site through which I found a decent locksmith, it took the guy about half an hour to get here, and then another 40 min to make the new key and program it... saved me around $150!!!

• Verluise

Verluise New LVC Member

It was a very nice write-up actually, so I'm sharing it here in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same mess as me...
      here's what they wrote: Well, i know how frustrating that may be! had the same issue about a few months ago.
      Here is what I found out after a long research, helped me a lot.
      I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc. (yours is a key fob)
      Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
      This site helped me save a lot of money.
      Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
      1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
      2. Tow the car to the dealer.
      3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
      Here is the link to read more:
      https://lost-car-keys-replacement.co...ement-car-key/
      If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
      1. Year, make and model of the car
      2. Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
      3. VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
      4. Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.
      Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
      There are 3 main types of keys:
      Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
      Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
      Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
      The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
      Here is the link for some additional information:
      https://lost-car-keys-replacement.co...lacement-cost/

I hope it helps!

• restince

restince LVC Member

Thanks for sharing this!

• Like Like x 1
      • Verluise

Verluise New LVC Member

Welcome , hope it can help for other people in the same situation !