Need Help ASAP

CullenShafer

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 3.9L And it needs a new exhuast manifold gasket.
I cant tell if the best way to approach this is from the top or the bottom of the motor.
And if so.
Does anyone know how i can do it?
Need Help

I would imagine that you would have a very difficult time getting it out. You may be able to get some bolts from above and some from below, but honestly, I think it's damn near impossible to do with the engine in the car. For your sake, I hope not. I had to change my manifolds over when I replaced my V6 engine a few years ago. One stud snapped off in the head. Even with the engine off the car. I was not able to extract that stud. so doing this kind of work in the car with the engine installed could prove to be very furstrating. If you look around, you should be able to find the shop manual online from a sticky or something, then you can see what the ford motor company says you need to do to replace it. What is wrong with the old one? Broken catalytic converter studs? I'm just guessing.

That helps a little bit. still confused on how i would go to getting it off. i just need it moved back enough to replace gaskets. I seem to be a little slow at how im supposed to approach this. my bad

That helps a little bit. still confused on how i would go to getting it off. i just need it moved back enough to replace gaskets. I seem to be a little slow at how im supposed to approach this. my bad
If it were me doing this job I'd approach it from the top and bottom as milehighmikey said, there's just not a whole lot of room for this kind of thing with the engine still in the car. However, if you're willing to remove your alternator and get the a/c compressor out of the way by disconnecting its mounting bolts you'd have some more room to get those bottom bolts out.

Hi, I did this job last year and it was not fun
The engine had about 470k and the manifold gasket sheet metal was fatigued and leaked.
The heat was cooking the valve cover gaskets. I just had to get them replaced. The motor mounts were more than flatten, they got replaced. Two studs on the driver side snapped out and had to drill out and tap with 7-16NC tap.if you have this happen i can send you a picture of the manifold I modified to drill out the stud or if you want the manifold I cut up, I can. I used permatex 650°F silicone to seal against the head and manifold. The heat in that tight spotis are not good for any of the components. I had totally insulted the complete exhausst system engine to muffler. I found a little performance gain but better shifting from the servos in the transmission case. Hot or cold, the the transmission performs the same ( AAMCO Lifetime best one out of three rebuilds
20190311_174341.jpg
20190220_160803.jpg
)

20190222_200447.jpg

20190226_151552.jpg

20190301_080212.jpg

20190220_160452.jpg

20190220_160447.jpg

How do i get it out of Limp Mode? DO i need to take it to a shop to do that?

What are you calling limp mode?
The LS does have FEM (failure effects management). The get out of that, the only solution is to fix the failures. There's nothing that locks it into any mode such that it needs any reset other than shutdown and restart.
The 2nd gen also has ETC failsafe, which is a few different modes that vary from nothing you really notice, to weird throttle responses, to having very little power, to no throttle response at all. With these, you also have to fix the problem to get back to normal.
There is also failsafe cooling which cuts out half the cylinders on a revolving basis. It resets as soon as the engine cools down.
What codes are you getting with Forscan?

Let me try and get it scanned. i think it might be in ETC failsafe cause of the gaskets being so bad. its throttle is little to none with very little power. like the gas pedal is very stiff and i looked it up and thats a common sign of ETC failsafe.

Let me try and get it scanned. i think it might be in ETC failsafe cause of the gaskets being so bad. its throttle is little to none with very little power. like the gas pedal is very stiff and i looked it up and thats a common sign of ETC failsafe.

Doubt it. ETC failsafe always gives a message in the message center (v8) or warning light on the V6.

Members online

No members online now.
Back