Need fender wheel fell off

maybe the shop should rotate the tires and then drive the car 25 miles then retorque the lugs. maybe thats what they do to all of us who have never heard of having to get the lugs retorqued. plus how are we suppose to retorque the lugs if the damn lug wrench doesn't even fit. and i was just stating a point, i hold nothing against 60 year old men, my grandfather performs most work on his and my cars and he is well over 60.

maybe the shop should rotate the tires and then drive the car 25 miles then retorque the lugs.

Good point but realistically 25 miles could be a good amount to some people.

25 miles in the city can be a good amount of gas at least for me. 25 miles highway is one way to work.

I would rather spend that gas running errands or traveling to work than just waste it, but Like I said I just do it myself. Things can happen so I always make sure to check them even after I re-tighten them.

Like I said, rarely have I ever come across the lugs actually coming loose myself but some shops feel need to protect them self. Why should that fine margin of error cost them a huge loss of cash cause of some lawsuit?

Allot of shops do things in different ways, I was just stating how things have been done around here.

I also do agree with it being torqued right the first time. So do some of these mechanics but it is just a safety precaution to protect the customer and the shop.

maybe the shop should rotate the tires and then drive the car 25 miles then retorque the lugs. maybe thats what they do to all of us who have never heard of having to get the lugs retorqued. plus how are we suppose to retorque the lugs if the damn lug wrench doesn't even fit. and i was just stating a point, i hold nothing against 60 year old men, my grandfather performs most work on his and my cars and he is well over 60.
Steel wheels do not need to be re-torqued. But alloy wheels should always be re- torqued. See http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=107 Although they stress it on new wheels, the prudent thing to do is to re torque because of all the variables involved. I can verify that rechecking does work as despite torquing to the specified settings, I had two lug nuts go loose after installing my SSR's. Oh yea! I am 65 & do change my own wheels.

Last edited:
Dun: I never said anything about whining about lawsuits, I was simply stating that, as a person who has been to court numerous times, that a courtroom can be intimidating, and that your confidence will have a HUGE impact on how you present your case. I wasn't suggesting he take that approach, only giving advice on IF he takes that approach.

I will stand firm that there is always someone who can come to a settlement agreement. If you have to talk to the owner of the franchise location, so be it. HOpefully you don't have to get to the corporate level. That;s a whole other game...

Dun: I never said anything about whining about lawsuits, I was simply stating that, as a person who has been to court numerous times, that a courtroom can be intimidating, and that your confidence will have a HUGE impact on how you present your case. I wasn't suggesting he take that approach, only giving advice on IF he takes that approach.

I will stand firm that there is always someone who can come to a settlement agreement. If you have to talk to the owner of the franchise location, so be it. HOpefully you don't have to get to the corporate level. That;s a whole other game...

Clearly the reason why I put your name in parenthesis.:)

ive been to several different tire shops and a dealer, and ive never left without them saying to retighten the lug nuts after 25 miles. ive never had a problem with a loose lug, but i check everytime to make sure something like what happened to itsnotmydaddys doesnt happen to me. maybe with old people they tell them to come back after 25 miles to retighten them.

GWL,

"Steel wheels do not need to be re-torqued. But alloy wheels should always be re- torqued. See http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107 Although they stress it on new wheels, the prudent thing to do is to re torque because of all the variables involved. I can verify that rechecking does work as despite torquing to the specified settings, I had two lug nuts go loose after installing my SSR's. Oh yea! I am 65 & do change my own wheels."

Very cool GWL, another old(er) person with a lowered red LS!!!!!

Also, EVERYWHERE I have purchased alloy wheels, and everywhere I have gotten wheel/tire work done, when sporting alloy wheels, has told me to re-torque the wheels...everywhere!

Hmm, dealer didn't mention it the last time I was in for service and they rotated the tires! :eek:

Well whaddyaknow... it's even in the manual! :lol: :slam

manual says to retorque after 500 miles though. not 25 or 50...

BING! got another one.

You are such a funny guy, not!

But it is kinda funny how it is completely irrelevant but yet you don't let it go. Then again you did keep quiet for a bit after someone with some credentials on the site stated the same thing as myself. Yet all you have is just enough sense to mock me?

But the smartest guy here being you knows it all.:lol:

Its plain and clear, I mean they give the function of search for other post by ones name, how many of yours deal with mostly conflict?

itsnotmydaddys, have you gotten a fender yet?

and dunitrite, youre right, i'm not smart, but i also make bad decisions. put those two things together and you get something you weren't expecting.

No fender yet, car is still at carx. For the time being i found some 18" rims and tires locally that im going to buy and ut on till we work out the legal side. I will be painting on the fender WORK OF CARX to deter customers (call me ignorant or immature, its fine). I will pick the wheels up tomorrow and take pics once I get the car back.

you might want to get it looked at before you throw a new tire on and drive it around. who knows what else got messed up when your wheel feel off. if you do drive it, you may end up causing more damage than before. just my .02

Members online

Back