Need all the help possible please!

JoeyLincolnMK8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Long story short sort of :p - the other day I went to start my car to leave work and the RPMs were racing and stayed steady at 2k at idle. From time to time the RPMs decreased an increased pretty much at will. I figured to see if I can ride out the problem by taking it for a spin. Much to my dismay, the car did not seem to get out of first gear but did not exceed 2k RPMs either. I pulled over and popped the hood and removed the battery terminals to see if I can reset the computer. After I did that, the issue still persisted.

The car was towed to the stealership, so that they can take a look to see if they can figure out what the problem is. When they got the car, it did not crank at all (which was not even my issue with begin with). The tech removed my sniper chip and cleaned the contacts and reinstalled into the PCM. Now, the car starts but still idles now at 1k. I explained to them over the phone to completely remove the chip and see if the issue went away.

I called them back later today and they said the problem is still there. I am going to head on over there tomorrow morning to see what the eff is going on. I need some advise as to what the issue could be. Please feel free to leave some feedback or suggestions as to WTF might cause this.

Thanks!

could be the TB or IAC. My truck use to do that when it got hot out, changed both out, no issues after that.

Those were items I thought of too, but would either one prevent the car from going into the next gear?

A bad tps can mess around with the tranny.

My truck was a stick so i'm not sure about that. I know you can test your TPS with a volt meter.

clogged cats? happened to my bonneville one time, I thought the tranny was toast turned out to be clogged cats. check the solenoids in the tranny as well

clogged cats? happened to my bonneville one time, I thought the tranny was toast turned out to be clogged cats. check the solenoids in the tranny as well

+1 I thought my tranny was cooked because it wouldn't get out of first. Turned out both of my cats had finally melted shut and she wasn't going anywhere.

Thanks everyone problem turned out to be a faulty TPS after all. The TPS was reading that the throttle was closed even when it was actually opened. Voltage was registering a 0.14 at WOT which should have been reading somewhere around 14.0-15.0 volts! I seriously appreciated all feedback, thanks again.

tps should be .9v at idle and 4.99v at wot, not 14-15volts.

Members online

Back