Need Advice Opinion re: 96 Eldorado

Michelle L.

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My husband has a 96 Eldorado ETC - only had it for 2 years now and blew a head gasket. Mechanic does not touch those engines as they are aluminum. Cadillac quoted a new engine at $9,000, and mechanic said if he can locate a used engine he would install for about $3,500. There are suspension problems as well on the front end and I'm sure other problems. My husband will be looking for another vehicle. In the meantime please give me advice or opinions on this question; Should he call pick-your-part or similar to come and get the vehicle OR should we attempt to list for sale as possibly "make an offer"? Would there be people out there that work on cars themselves who may be interested in this car or should it just be junked? It's really sad too because the care only has 103,000 miles on it - he got stuck with a lemon I guess.

Oh and if he can sell it what would be a reasonable amount we could expect to get from someone for this? I mean they'd have to take care of this problem before being able to operate the vehicle.

Anyway please help. Thanks!!!

Michelle L.

UPDATE still need advice and opinions

Hello,

I just talked to the mechanic who said he obtained a "clean" engine with 75,000 miles on it. He offers a 90-day or 3000 mile warranty. He would charge $3500 to install it (including engine cost). Also there is a leak somewhere (coolant) that would need to be fixed along with anything else they might find by a pressure test. Also the mechanic said the suspension is not something that will keep us from using the car - so I guess at this point that is irrelevant.

$4k is still owed on the car loan anyway so would it be a good idea to take the gamble and go ahead and get the engine put in the car? If not we're still out the $4k we still owe on the car which would have to be absorbed into a new used car loan. What would you do?

Thank you,
Michelle L.

The mechanic doesnt touch those engines cos they are aluminum? Find a better mechanic. Alot of cars have all alloy engines. I would get several professional opinions before making a decision. Avoid main dealers!

evan if the car was running and in top condition you would be lucky to get 6k for it-you may be better off selling it for parts.you say the suspension is not working proper-well to keep it an etc you are looking at close to another 2grand, probaly around $800 for passive shocks and struts-there is a vendor on EBAY that sells N* motors or you could search the junk yards, now that the Buicks have the N* you may get lucky. I have also had problems with my used caddy .I am not impressed with American made cars,they have improved from blowing up at 60k miles to 100k.:mad: its a damn shame that Detroit is building such junk!!!!!!! I dont mean to offend anybody but lets face it a top of the line luxury car that burns oil from day one and is prone to oil leaks due to a poor design is just wrong-Ford/Lincoln is not much better with its coils and trans problems.

Hi,

What would you expect a mechanic to charge if he WOULD replace the blown headgasket? Just wondering for comparison sake regarding replacing headgasket(s) or replacing engine with used engine at $3500?

Thanks, Michelle L.

Hi Michelle sent you a pm with regard to the head gaskets.

Michelle,
If you keep this car you are going to have to find a better mechanic.
Any one can repalce a engine.
A good shop will fix your problem not just part swap.

Members online

No members online now.
Back