Need advice on $$$

If you invest $10k into a Mark8 you're going to have a lot more car than what you are able to get for $10k. Just my opinion though. But no. It's really fact. ;)

I like the Mark, don't get me wrong! But if I had 10 grand it wouldn't go into this, or any other Mark! There is plenty of cars that would SMOKE the Mark's for 10K! Again....just my opinion! But if you wanna give me the $'s I'll show ya!

I like the Mark, don't get me wrong! But if I had 10 grand it wouldn't go into this, or any other Mark! There is plenty of cars that would SMOKE the Mark's for 10K! Again....just my opinion! But if you wanna give me the $'s I'll show ya!

I'd like to hear em Spree. ;) You obviously can't make that judgement call with an "unmolested"Mark8 like you have. I've raced $30k+ cars and beat them. Nissan 370Z, 04 turbo WRX sti with 14psi, 3-valve Mustang Gts and the list goes on including Mr. 09 Challenger who simply couldn't get enough of this luxury auto at the track. He lost pass after pass after pass. What do those cars cost? :confused: I'll lay it out for you though plain and simple. I have $5k in this car right now in modifications which is about half of Chadly's budget and that's only because I had a hack work on my car and things had to be touched twice. :)

I'd like to hear em Spree. ;) You obviously can't make that judgement call with an "unmolested"Mark8 like you have. I've raced $30k+ cars and beat them. Nissan 370Z, 04 turbo WRX sti with 14psi, 3-valve Mustang Gts and the list goes on including Mr. 09 Challenger who simply couldn't get enough of this luxury auto at the track. He lost pass after pass after pass. What do those cars cost? :confused: I'll lay it out for you though plain and simple. I have $5k in this car right now in modifications which is about half of Chadly's budget and that's only because I had a hack work on my car and things had to be touched twice. :)

But if you had 10K! What could you do with that? Know'n your knowledge and mine too? Would it be a Mark or something else??

But if you had 10K! What could you do with that? Know'n your knowledge and mine too? Would it be a Mark or something else??

I don't know Spree. I have about as much love for my Mark8s that you do though assuming that your love for these cars that I read in the "What did you do to your Mark8 today" is legit. :D. It's easy to be different but the crowd can be tough. Who the hell brings a Lincoln to the track? Someone has to. :) But it feels pretty good when I'm giving the guy in the GTO pointers on how to launch his car so he can actually beat me (another victim). :D.

Honestly though at this point the logical decision would be to invest $10k into either one of my Mark8s that are both already paid off. The bang for the buck is there and it is the cheapest option hands down. You're pushing 200k in yours Spree. What's stopping you from swapping the motor or even doing some internal work to boot? ;) I can surely say it is cheaper than a $400/mo car payment. Pick your poison. You're already here in the Mark8 gang. You can go pretty far and you won't have to be "initiated" either. :)

I don't know Spree. I have about as much love for my Mark8s that you do though assuming that your love for these cars that I read in the "What did you do to your Mark8 today" is legit. :D. It's easy to be different but the crowd can be tough. Who the hell brings a Lincoln to the track? Someone has to. :) But it feels pretty good when I'm giving the guy in the GTO pointers on how to launch his car so he can actually beat me (another victim). :D.

Honestly though at this point the logical decision would be to invest $10k into either one of my Mark8s that are both already paid off. The bang for the buck is there and it is the cheapest option hands down. You're pushing 200k in yours Spree. What's stopping you from swapping the motor or even doing some internal work to boot? ;) I can surely say it is cheaper than a $400/mo car payment. Pick your poison. You're already here in the Mark8 gang. You can go pretty far and you won't have to be "initiated" either. :)

Just my thought but...I've had this car for 14 years and put plenty of money in it just to keep it running and did a pretty good job I think, 200k+! Even if you had a Mark that is paid off and in good shape (which is hard to find) and had 10k to boot. Would it be worth it to put it into the Mark or something newer? You can get something better for 5k and 5k left over. I love this car as much as you love your's and everyone else love's there's, but when were talking about speed...the Mark has seen better day's, considering the newer (old) car's that are out there.
I wouldn't trade this one for nothing, but on he same not I wouldn't stick another 10k in her either!

You can get a Coyote for $3000 with under 20,000 miles on them all over the place.
Now you can rebuild, bore over, stroke and cam your 4.6 to 420ish N/A but thats about it. The 5.0 is making 412 STOCK. Tune, exhaust and intake and you are over 450. Plus they are really under rated cause most do 380ish to the wheels.
Very true,they are around with a boss intake and a tune its worth considering.

Turbo on a Mark is not an easy task. Thats why there are only two I know of. Both seemed to have fallen off the planet as well.

Positive displacement blower is the best thing for the street. No turbo lag, instant power.
They are around, you wont hear of them on the Lincoln boards not right now anyway. lots of fab work but from what I hear well worth the effort.

X100..
Ask me how I know. :eek:
No kidding you would know :)
I doubt I would even use a 4.6.

Nice to hear from you Chadly.
Stay safe.

Forgive my long post….but I think there is a lot of under estimation on the true cost of building up one of these cars to live a long and happy life when making over 500hp reliably
Forged Rotating Assembly $1650
Machine Work $1000
Oil Pump Gears $300
Timing Set $440
Gasket Kit $400
Head Studs $250
Side bolts $50
Main Bolts $110
So if you can do the work yourself you now have a built forged long block with stock heads and cams for about $4200
Lets keep going….
Cobra intake (with all required parts) $450
Kooks Headers $820
Dual Exhaust 2.5in $400
47# Injectors $250
Walbro 400lph Pump $150
SCT BA-3000 MAF $265
OK now we are at $6535 once again assuming you did all the work
Ok now we add the blower
Vortech Non-intercooled S-trim $3260
That brings the grand total up to $9795 you have 205 bucks left and still have a stock converter, driveshaft, gears, and a unturned supercharged combo…..
I know I am going to get a post about buying used parts, I can get this cheaper, you don’t need this… blah blah. This is what I would consider a minimum build and to be honest I have much more $$$ than what I listed here in my bottom end, but everyone has a different opinion of reliable. You can’t guarantee used parts will be available in the time frame this might need to be completed, and remember this is just parts if you have to pay anyone for work start stacking on the zeros. No matter how you stack it there is no low cost solution and 10k gets gone really quick.

What it ROADBOSS that spent $15,xxx on his motor biuld. Wouldn't it be wiser to hold on to the cash or if you own a house to invest it on some updates/remodels on the house. just sayinh

pr just buy complete o3/o4 cobra motor and sell your motor to get some cost back.

When I get back from this next deployment to Afghanistan I will have about $10K to spend on the mark. I thought about selling and getting something older (67 GTO) but I wanted to see what the options were for the mark. I just spent 1800 on the tranny so I would like to keep that, but the motor can go if need be. I was thinking about 2 options:

1. Rebuild the engine with a stroker kit and supercharger

2. Engine swap or crate engine with supercharger

I have no idea what would be the best option with my budget, open to any suggestions/opinions.

Thanks yall
First off, Godspeed Chadly. I know we are drawing down out there but it's still not a safe place to be. I'll admit I’m a bit jealous and wish I could hurry up and finish my upgrade training so I could go, but still be safe.

Secondly, if 10K is your max then a build is not the way to go. A drop in would be the fastest easiest way to get something out of your car. I’m biased and I say build the mark because they are different and allot more respect will come if you do something different.

If your whole goal in your automotive interest is to go fast, then sell the mark and buy a built Fox Body or an LS1 car. But I personally would keep the mark. My .02

pr just buy complete o3/o4 cobra motor and sell your motor to get some cost back.

Keep the Teksid, nobody want mark motors……………………yet…..

Thanks for all the comments. Still not sure what to do but there are a lot of good points yall brought up.

I love this car and will probably keep it forever. I dont just want a fast car, I want a fast mark.

Would I HAVE to use forged internals or would it be OK with the stock stuff? I already have cobra intake, exhaust (not headers), new trans w/JMOD, 4.10's with TL, MMX driveshaft, SCT X3, and running 14.1 @97. Would 8-10 lbs of boost get me into the 12's safely on stock internals?

It would get you there but reliability goes out the window. You could try to find used internals from an 03/04 cobra and re-gasket your motor.

Staff Sergeant, let me tell you, be conservative. Take that 10k and give the whole car a makeover. I'm pretty sure you're like most of us, and want to still get somewhat decent gas mileage. Rebuild the Mark motor. There's no need for forged internals. All the Marks on the road now are on original motors,and still going strong. Do your interior, paint, and motor. FYI, my Uncle is a retired Sergeant Major, and is a Loan Officer at Marine Federal across from the commissary.

Chadly, with a good tune you can easily run 8# of boost on the stock internals and run 12s. That should put you at about 390-400rwhp with a centrifugal style blower. Don't go past that.

Once you go fast, its never fast enough.

Think hard of you want to keep the soft bottom of b head engine.

Find a motor that's out of a Cobra, then you don't have to rebuild anything.. and its still in a Teksid block
Guys ARE buying the Mark motors like crazy for their Mustang projects.. even a Junk Mark engine is worth $250 as a core

You asked about advice on $$$ thou..
Fix your little issues that your car may have.. then go buy Gold and lock it in a safe for a few years

SAPPERS FORWARD!!!

Members online

Back