Need a quick water pump answer please

Diplomat 1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well my water pump went and I believe the gasket is leaking. If I get a new gasket can I just use the old water pump or have to change pump and gasket? Also what is the proper procedure on bleeding the coolant on a 2003 LS 3.9 please and thanks

I put a pressure tester to it and it leaks right under the pump. by shaft seal u mean the oring ? How can I tell if I can reuse that? It was hard to tell but I'm 99.999% sure it wasn't the plastic parts above the pump. Thanks again joegr appreciate ur help

No, and the gen II pumps don't use an o-ring, just the gasket. There's a weep hole in the housing, under where the shaft comes one. Coolant will dribble (sometimes pour) out that hole if the shaft seal fails.
The shaft seal is often one of the first failure points if you pressurize above 20 PSI (should never go over 16 PSI).

Ohhhh I get it but all I see is under the pump where the pump meats the block I see a stream of coolant I see leaking when pressurized can't tell if it's from the weep hole.

I need both water pumps for my 02 LS. what are good brands. ACDelco? Gates?
thanks, Caryl

I need both water pumps for my 02 LS. what are good brands. ACDelco? Gates?
thanks, Caryl

Both the electric aux pump (at the radiator by the DCCV) and the water pump (front of engine)?
My experience is that you want the Motorcraft branded water pump. For the aux pump, Motorcraft or Bosch should be good.

With all the trouble you will go through to swap out the gasket you might as well change the pump, or else you will back in there to replace the pump.

With all the trouble you will go through to swap out the gasket you might as well change the pump, or else you will back in there to replace the pump.

Well, that was almost two years ago. I assume that he has already done whatever he was going to do...

Members online

Back