Navigator vs Escalde

RadioStar

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, All, just found this site while doing research on Navigators and Escalades. It's perfect!

With the incentives and awesome financing deals available on the remaining '04s right now, I'm looking to get one or the other before the end of the year.

I like the look of the Navigator better than the Escalade, but the extra horsepower in the Caddy is very tempting. Talking to some local dealers, it seems I can get a very similar deal on the two vehicles, though I'll get a better deal on the Escalade.

So, my request to the Nav lovers is, help me understand what makes the Lincoln a better choice than the Escalade! Besides just the outside appearance.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

Im not a truck guy - but it is a toss up from where I sit. The navigator would probably be my choice - but im not sure

Congrats. Now toss a Whipple on there with the money you saved over the Caddy and you will really be happy.

Just open the door. look inside and that should be enough! The Navigator is more stylish and luxurious inside than the Escalade. The Caddy looks like a Chevy Tahoe inside, including the fake cheesy wood on the dash and center console which doesnt match to the few genuine pieces on the steering wheel and the doors. The Navigator doesn't look like anything else but a Lincoln with Genuine American Walnut all over the interior.

Get The Gator

TAKE A RIDE IN BOTH LIKE I DID. TAKE THE SAME ROUTE SO YOU CAN COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES. THE GATOR CLEARLY DRIVES,RIDES,AND IS SAFER THAN THE ESCALADE.

We have an 04 Navi in the family and it has been great. I'm klinda surprised you can't get a better deal on that than the caddy though.

I personally like the look of the navi more, and you dont see as many of them. Around here the Escalades are all over the place. get tired of seeing them.

It's totally up to you though, go with what works for your budget and taste.

well,

I currently own both a navi and Escalade. I have to say that IMO the caddy rides way better and pulls harder. I have the ESV and love having the extra storage run as well. I can use both the rear seat and carry alot of stuff at the same time. The navi inside looks better, but no storage with the seat up.

Apbpetey;

You are not comparing apples with apples. The ESV is much longer than the Navigator since it is based on the Chevrolet Suburban wheelbase. The Navigator's equal in the Cadillac lineup is the regular based Escalade which uses the shorter wheelbase of the Chevrolet Tahoe and the GMC Yukon. Those two vehicles also dont have much room in the back with the third seat up. Where the Navigator beats these two is if you get the Ultimate Navigator you get the powered third row seat that folds flat to the floor. The short wheel based Escalade you have to remove the seats completely out in order to clear up the rear for carrying a larger load, not as easy and conveninant as the Navigator. If you want to compare apples with apples with your ESV for cargo space you would need to compare it to the Ford Excursion.

Aviatorguy said:
Apbpetey;

You are not comparing apples with apples. The ESV is much longer than the Navigator since it is based on the Chevrolet Suburban wheelbase. The Navigator's equal in the Cadillac lineup is the regular based Escalade which uses the shorter wheelbase of the Chevrolet Tahoe and the GMC Yukon. Those two vehicles also dont have much room in the back with the third seat up. Where the Navigator beats these two is if you get the Ultimate Navigator you get the powered third row seat that folds flat to the floor. The short wheel based Escalade you have to remove the seats completely out in order to clear up the rear for carrying a larger load, not as easy and conveninant as the Navigator. If you want to compare apples with apples with your ESV for cargo space you would need to compare it to the Ford Excursion.

Look I was just giving him another choice. The ESV isn't much more money and you get alot more storage space. The Navi just doesn't give you anything to step up to if you want storage. The auto fold seat is nice and I love it, but for the price I would recommend stepping into an ESV. Also let me tell you that I do use these both for work and play. I don't baby them and do tow with them. I also found that when I needed to move a wheel barrel I had to not only flod the seat down in the Navi, but also keep the rear glass open. I the ESV all I had to do was fold the 3rd row seat down.

edit: I just did a quick check, Ulitmate Navi starts at just over 57k the ESV starts at just over 59k. for the difference the ESV is the way to go.

escalade requires premium. @ a nice brisky 12 mpg, LOL. Im a biased source, anyway

Love my lincolns, LOL

Pepsi2185 said:
escalade requires premium. @ a nice brisky 12 mpg, LOL. Im a biased source, anyway

Love my lincolns, LOL

you can run the cheap stuff in the escalade and by the way the navi says it requires the premium stuff. I get about the same mpg in both of them so that's not an issue

apbpetey said:
you can run the cheap stuff in the escalade and by the way the navi says it requires the premium stuff. I get about the same mpg in both of them so that's not an issue

My bad i forgot about that. Right when i sent it my gf corrected me too, LOL. In a serious manner i believe the navigator is a better truck. Since im a towncar guy, obviously motor is not important to me. And besides that i can easily fix a navigator over an escalade. I dont believe parts for a northstar motor will be that easy to get or replace. ( i love turning my own wrenches).

If the cost of gasoline is a concern, look at the 2005 Navigator. The 05 with it new 3 valves per cylinder engine allows it to run with regular unleaded fuel. Along with the new six speed transmission the new Navigator runs alot more efficient and smooth. The previous Navigators and the current Aviator and LS require premium unleaded fuel that has an octane rating of +91. As far as price I have checked with my local dealers and the 2005 Ultimate Navigators sell for around $64k and the Cadillac Escalade ESV premium model is selling for $70k, that is alot of more mulla for me to get a little extra storage space. How many thousands of dollars per cubit feet of space is that.

Aviatorguy said:
If the cost of gasoline is a concern, look at the 2005 Navigator. The 05 with it new 3 valves per cylinder engine allows it to run with regular unleaded fuel. Along with the new six speed transmission the new Navigator runs alot more efficient and smooth. The previous Navigators and the current Aviator and LS require premium unleaded fuel that has an octane rating of +91. As far as price I have checked with my local dealers and the 2005 Ultimate Navigators sell for around $64k and the Cadillac Escalade ESV premium model is selling for $70k, that is alot of more mulla for me to get a little extra storage space. How many thousands of dollars per cubit feet of space is that.

That's to much for the ESV. Mine is loaded including having the trim done in gold (dealer option), XM radio, dvd option, fully loaded and I paid $62k here in NY so your dealer is way off. I got it 8 months ago.

2005 Nav.

I purchased an '05 Nav at the beginning of November last year and have nothing but good things to say about it.

The new 6-speed transmission is AWESOME and makes the thing respond much better than one would expect. I'd like to know how the new ones compare to the old 4-speed Escalades now. With the much steeper first gear in the '05 it is like having a 4.56:1 gear compared to the gearing in the '03/04 trans. All years have used 3.73s but the trans gear spacing is really stretched in the new 6-speed box from ZF so the new NAV has dramatically improved torqe multiplication down low. I test drove a few '04s before we (wife and I) made up our minds to go with the new model and the '04s were quite slow...yet adequate for everyday driving. The '05 actually feels fairly quick in most situations.

The '05s do take premium fuel unfortunately, despite changing to the improved 3V engine. The F150 and the Expedition rate their 3V engine at exactly the same power (HP/TQ) yet Lincoln states to use premium in it. I suppose it is a marketing thing and Lincolns are "all powerful and NEED premium fuel". I doubt it, but I have done a few mileage tests and believe it or not, the thing does get better fuel economy on premium so I suppose my overall cost per mile is about the same using premium. It does run fine on either fuel and I've never heard a knock or ping when using 89 octane. Actually, I don't think I've used 87 oct. in it yet, but there does seem to be a mileage difference between 93 vs 89.

I never even considered the Cadillac when looking for a big SUV. Who cares if it can go 0-60 in a split second faster. These are 3 ton SUVs and speed should not be a factor for any sane person driving it responsibly. I too was put off by all the Escalades running around out there and I was looking for something that was a bit different. Yes, the Nav is going on its third year in production but the '05 front end and side styling I think is dramatically impoved over the previous years and I think it looks great.

Both vehicles have their good and bad points. Both suck gas like crazy, but both will haul a large trailer like it was nothing. I have a family of four so I won't be using the rear seats much. If I had a large family I would have seriously considered the longer Cad (ESV is it?) because of the increased room for luggage. The NAV is a great vehicle for a trip with up to 5 or 6 people, but if you must have both sides of the rear seat folded up there goes all your luggage room unless you can skillfully stack it vertically to the ceiling in the place behind the seats.

I just went through the same process, and bought the 'Gator. The Escalade does win out in the hp department, but lacks several other Navigator features (auto-leveling, seating room, emergency fuel shutoff, etc.). I also thought that the Escalade was pretty over-priced to have no distinguishable differences between it and the Denali, besides Caddy-badged seats.

BTW, one member misquoted that only the Escalade requires premium. The Navigator requires it as well.

hard_drive_j said:
I just went through the same process, and bought the 'Gator. The Escalade does win out in the hp department, but lacks several other Navigator features (auto-leveling, seating room, emergency fuel shutoff, etc.). I also thought that the Escalade was pretty over-priced to have no distinguishable differences between it and the Denali, besides Caddy-badged seats.

BTW, one member misquoted that only the Escalade requires premium. The Navigator requires it as well.

Are you saying that the Navi seating room is better? I felt that they were pretty close in the amount of room for seating. If you look at the measured head,leg, etc. both are very close and less than an inch difference in most cases. As for features what about the stablitiy control on the Escalade? Also the Escalade has a self-leveling system as well. Day-time running lights are standard and you have side airbags on the Caddy. Day-time running lights are an option and cannot get side airbags on the Navi. Lets also look at the Navigation system, standard on Caddy, n/a on Navi. Heated front seats standard on caddy option on Navi. Higher tow capacity on the caddy, also tow package standard on the caddy. Looks to me like the Caddy has more than the navi standard unless you move to the Ultimate package on the Navi and then the diffence is the power liftgate and power rear seat on the Navi (which are nice to have).

apbpetey said:
Are you saying that the Navi seating room is better? I felt that they were pretty close in the amount of room for seating. If you look at the measured head,leg, etc. both are very close and less than an inch difference in most cases. As for features what about the stablitiy control on the Escalade? Also the Escalade has a self-leveling system as well. Day-time running lights are standard and you have side airbags on the Caddy. Day-time running lights are an option and cannot get side airbags on the Navi. Lets also look at the Navigation system, standard on Caddy, n/a on Navi. Heated front seats standard on caddy option on Navi. Higher tow capacity on the caddy, also tow package standard on the caddy. Looks to me like the Caddy has more than the navi standard unless you move to the Ultimate package on the Navi and then the diffence is the power liftgate and power rear seat on the Navi (which are nice to have).

My understanding is that the navigation is not a standard item on the shorter based Escalade, which is the Caddy model that should be compared here, not the longer wheel-based ESV. The Escalade however does have the daytime running lights, HID lights, stability control, and the Road Sensing Suspension, which I have to say does a heck of job in giving you a smooth ride even though the Escalade still has the live axle in the rear. The Navigator comes in at a lower base price but without all those features. The Navigator does not have the front side airbags because it comes with the Side Curtain Canopy for both the front and rear (second seat) passengers. Also the Navigator offers both Heated and Air Conditioned seats for the front while the Caddy only offers heated seats. Also too the Navigator has genuine American Walnut all over the interior while the Caddy has cheesy fake wood on the dash and center console.The steering wheel and the door panel strips are real Zebrano wood.To me that is inexcusable in a $50-60k SUV.

Aviatorguy said:
My understanding is that the navigation is not a standard item on the shorter based Escalade, which is the Caddy model that should be compared here, not the longer wheel-based ESV. The Escalade however does have the daytime running lights, HID lights, stability control, and the Road Sensing Suspension, which I have to say does a heck of job in giving you a smooth ride even though the Escalade still has the live axle in the rear. The Navigator comes in at a lower base price but without all those features. The Navigator does not have the front side airbags because it comes with the Side Curtain Canopy for both the front and rear (second seat) passengers. Also the Navigator offers both Heated and Air Conditioned seats for the front while the Caddy only offers heated seats. Also too the Navigator has genuine American Walnut all over the interior while the Caddy has cheesy fake wood on the dash and center console.The steering wheel and the door panel strips are real Zebrano wood.To me that is inexcusable in a $50-60k SUV.

I hate to tell you, but the Escalade and the ESV both come with the Navigation Standard. Yes you can get the heated/cool seats in the navi, but they are not standard. Heated seats are standard on the Caddy. Yes it has the live rear axle, but you cannot really tell. Yes the base price is lower for the Navi, but when you start to add on the options (which are standard on the caddy), the price of the Navi goes up. Also I wouldn't call a Bvlgari clock a cheap interior feature. Can you all please explain where in the world you are getting that the Escalde is more than the Navi. I mean I just went to both sites and built 1 of each. I know that i paid more for my ESV than for the Navi, but pricing a fully loaded Navi Ulitmate and a fully loaded regular Escalade it get the following:

Navi fully loaded= $64,800
Escalade fully loaded= $63,300

and to top it of that is with adding the 20" rims on the caddy 9another option n/a on the Navi).

apbpetey said:

No bones to pick to here, however the Navi does have the navigation with the THX option. It is a DVD based system and performs really well.

As for stability control, the Navi's is called AdvanceTrac. As with all stabilty controls you can't get a limited slip rear end. It's no big deal but I would like to have it.

Concerning the self leveling suspension the Navi's is four wheel air bags whereas I thought the Caddy was rear only, but I could be wrong.

Really though most people (myself included) are going to get the Ultimate. I can tell you that the cooled seats are great. I too looked at the Caddys and Denali before I bought the Navi, but with the Navis independent rear suspension and side curtain airbags, plus a more modern interior, we decided to give up some power in return for more refinement. BTW I wish that I could show a picture of it but what really sold me was the availabilty of the monochrome option. We've got an all black one with chrome wheels which makes it very rare when compared to the Escalade. Besides my daily driver is a Lightning so I can get my fun anytime.

Good luck and enjoy the Caddy, they are nice.

Grey Navi said:
No bones to pick to here, however the Navi does have the navigation with the THX option. It is a DVD based system and performs really well.

As for stability control, the Navi's is called AdvanceTrac. As with all stabilty controls you can't get a limited slip rear end. It's no big deal but I would like to have it.

Concerning the self leveling suspension the Navi's is four wheel air bags whereas I thought the Caddy was rear only, but I could be wrong.

Really though most people (myself included) are going to get the Ultimate. I can tell you that the cooled seats are great. I too looked at the Caddys and Denali before I bought the Navi, but with the Navis independent rear suspension and side curtain airbags, plus a more modern interior, we decided to give up some power in return for more refinement. BTW I wish that I could show a picture of it but what really sold me was the availabilty of the monochrome option. We've got an all black one with chrome wheels which makes it very rare when compared to the Escalade. Besides my daily driver is a Lightning so I can get my fun anytime.

Good luck and enjoy the Caddy, they are nice.

I have the exact same color option as you do on my Navi. Also on my ESV I have a dealer option of a gold trim package. The emblems and a few other parts are gold plated. Kind of sets it apart from other ESV's. I love both of them and each as its strong points and bad points. Both have already been in the shop for repair work. The passager side airbag had to be replaced in the ESV and the driver seat had to replaced on the Navi. Both no charge, but also major faults in my book. I will have to try to post a pic or two of them. Maybe this weekend I will go out and take pics to post.

apbpetey said:
I have the exact same color option as you do on my Navi. Also on my ESV I have a dealer option of a gold trim package. The emblems and a few other parts are gold plated. Kind of sets it apart from other ESV's. I love both of them and each as its strong points and bad points. Both have already been in the shop for repair work. The passager side airbag had to be replaced in the ESV and the driver seat had to replaced on the Navi. Both no charge, but also major faults in my book. I will have to try to post a pic or two of them. Maybe this weekend I will go out and take pics to post.
Yeah we had the drivers power seat mechanism go too. It's now again making the clicking sound so who knows. Our main concern is the Torque Converter seems to be shuttering at around 1200rpms so who knows. It's going in this friday for service and to have the TC checked.

As you said they all have problems, but so far the dealer has treated us great. Good luck with yours.

2718-3957-91468.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back