Navigation

glanga

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i searched the forums and couldn't find what i was asking, maybe it has been answered but i have an 03 withfactory nav, if i wanted to actually upgrade the software in the entire system to the software of a newer model, how? where? could i do this, is it worth it, what are the differences?...i dont mean the actual dvd for nav but...

that too, i went on navteq.com to look for a new cd to upgrade the maps and stuff and found one denso cd. this is the current Lincoln Denso DVD rel. 2007.1 .but when i searched the forums i found all sorts like 3d and 4d...what are those? what is the newest release i can get?

Ok i searched the forums and couldn't find what i was asking, maybe it has been answered but i have an 03 withfactory nav, if i wanted to actually upgrade the software in the entire system to the software of a newer model, how? where? could i do this, is it worth it, what are the differences?...i dont mean the actual dvd for nav but...

that too, i went on navteq.com to look for a new cd to upgrade the maps and stuff and found one denso cd. this is the current Lincoln Denso DVD rel. 2007.1 .but when i searched the forums i found all sorts like 3d and 4d...what are those? what is the newest release i can get?

The 2007.1 is the latest update. IIRC, it's 5d. What do you mean by software upgrade? Voice commands?

Bringing this one back up....

Is 5d still the most current? My mom wanted a new disc in her Navigator and I was looking, found some 5d but didn't know if there was anything newer...

EDIT: Just found a 6P online. Does anybody know if these are all compatible with the lincoln NAV system? I know I have swapped discs between my LS and the Navi before but not sure if the 5d or 6p would work in both

im honestly not sure if you can use another auto manufacturers cd in a lincoln or any other car. best bet is to email navteq and ask them. if you go on navteqs site you can buy newer map dvds directly from them specifically for your car. im not sure the difference between

I have a question in regard to the LS factory navigation. Does it play video DVD's or is that just asking too much from a factory system?

i honestly dont know. i will try it when i get home. the dvd thing is in the trunk, were you insert the nav dvd. so ill try taking that out and putting in a regular dvd. i really doubt it will work though. i never saw anything in the manual about that. I dont think the cd changer in the deck is a dvd system, just cd.

Playing DVD's in the front passanger area is illegal in the US. There isnt any manufacturer that has a OEM NAV with DVD players built in, in the front seat area. Many SUV's and minivans have the DVD systems for the back seats. The Pioneer AVIC-D3(aftermarket) is sold worldwide so there is a way around playing DVD's while that car is moving because it is not illegal in Europe.

Playing DVD's in the front passanger area is illegal in the US. There isnt any manufacturer that has a OEM NAV with DVD players built in, in the front seat area. Many SUV's and minivans have the DVD systems for the back seats. The Pioneer AVIC-D3(aftermarket) is sold worldwide so there is a way around playing DVD's while that car is moving because it is not illegal in Europe.

Not entirely true. The CTS-V you could play DVD's on the nav screen if you took out the Nav DVD. Once you took the parking brake off it shut off the DVD player but a little bug was found to keep the DVD playing even while driving if you held two buttons simutaneously while the Nav was firing up.

So you could watch them while parked, hold two buttons when it boots, and watch when driving.

Once again, there was a bug or work around found to allow the playing of the DVD in the front seat area. This is not allowed from the manufacturer on its own.

Once again, there was a bug or work around found to allow the playing of the DVD in the front seat area. This is not allowed from the manufacturer on its own.

I agree it is illegal to play a video in the front passenger compartment while driving... but I do it anyway.
I was just wondering if it was possible with the OEM LS Navigation system... I was unaware that the DVD navi disc was loaded in the trunk, I thought it went into the dash like the CTS-V.

edit... I am pretty sure some of the higher end Mercedes Benz autos have OEM DVD video capabilities in the front passenger compartment.... not while in motion of coarse.

Just like exceeding the posted speed limit, no manufacturer will encourage/endorse speeding but the vehicles are capable of it. I know no place in the united states where it is legal to drive anywhere near the 130+ speed limit of the LS (of coarse I have not been everywhere).

Alright so you are saying while the car is just in motion. I thought you meant when the car is parked and in motion, that it is compeltely illegal either way.

Misunderstood

My bad, in motion it is illegal but people find ways around it. Standing still its ok.

As far as I know, the stock NAV systems in the LS/Navigator/Aviator will not play movies.

I went to navteq and the disc they list says something like Denso 2008. no mention of 5d or 6p or anything. Some of the discs i've been seeing online do say FLM or Lincoln on them so I'm guessing they will work. I'll give one a shot and let you know how it works.

Members online

No members online now.
Back