Mysterious Power Loss

CadillacViperLHS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this site, just found it while trying to get info on my problem.
Here is the scoop.
I have a 1993 STS every option available. Never had any problems other than normal wear and tear things. I have 385,000 Kms or about 250,000 miles. I commute with this car everyday highway speed for 1 hour each way. The car still looks like a 2 year old (with 2001 chrome deville rims)

Two years ago it started just ticking when you turn the key to start. Just keep trying 5 or 6 times then it will just start and may not do it again for 2 months or more. Once i just held the key turned for 3 or 4 seconds and all of a sudden the engine started. My cadillac dealer has changed out 3 starters, new ignition and new keys thinking the chip was no good. CAR STILL DOES IT.

About a month ago in town driving only, right turns mostly, under light acceleration...Trans would stop pulling the car. After comming to a stop then starting out again it would be fine. I took it to a transmission shop approved by cadillac where they changed the fluid and filter. All seemed well for about a month. Now for the last week or more in mid turn the whole car shuts off to the point i have to reset the clock!!

The dealer is stumped and i'm sick of laying out money for parts i obviously didn't need.

Any suggestions???????????????????????

check you battery check EVERY wire going to and from it. check the alt have them test it. check all the grounds and fusable links.
Eric

Well I have to give the dealer partial credit. I would not have blamed the starter but that sounds like the exact symptoms when the contacts in the ignition cylinder get worn and can't read the key.

Members online

No members online now.
Back