My Valve Body looked like a carmeled apple!

Brian Williams

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I removed and cleaned the valve body today. Relatively simple just had to make sure i was organized. Once I got the pan off and removed the 14 bolts holding it in, i droped it down and the back side looked like someone had dipped it in carmel. Call Kraft!

Any way after about a gallon of solvent and good old fasioned elbo grease I removed the candied cluster and could move all the parts buy hand. Once I had that and everything else i could think of clean. I put it back together, added the fluid and some tranny stuff the guy at Orileys said to add.

Can't remember what it was but it was in a red bottle and he said that every transmission shop in america has it on the shelf...

I then turned the key and after about 10 min of working that pump and driving around the block. I popped in 3rd gear. BAM!!!!! It caught and I have my tranny back!!! WHHOOOOO HHOOOOO!

Thanks to all that helped and I now feel like i actually am worthy of being a MARK Owner and LVC Member! Special HOLLA out to Silverfox of for the VB drop and clean! GAskets and Cleaner my total Out of pocket was about 40 dollars and 4 hours 23 min...You guys rock!!

Brian Williams said:
Hey Guys! I removed and cleaned the valve body today.
Congratulations Brian!

Did you work indoors or out? On a lift or jack stands? How'd you contain dropping the fluid? How much did you put back in?

JD

Cool, If the VB did look that varnished - then you better pull the governor out and clean it as well - if you want too. If you find that it hangs up in 1st or doesn't seem to downshift when pulling up to a stop - then better clean it.

It is a little more involved than the VB, but doesn't take any more time or inteligence.

SilverFox said:
Cool, If the VB did look that varnished - then you better pull the governor out and clean it as well - if you want too. If you find that it hangs up in 1st or doesn't seem to downshift when pulling up to a stop - then better clean it.

It is a little more involved than the VB, but doesn't take any more time or inteligence.
So when are you coming to PA and give classes? I'll provide the tools and transmissions (1984-1990).

JD

BTW, congratulations on 100 posts!

ELLLO Govna!

Hey blokes! Just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate all the help and my Mark is slowwwwly getting back to the car it once was.

I do have a question though! Does the Govna have something to do with the shifting and telling the tranny to shift? Because even though I have cleaned it out it still seemes to slip (when cold). I still have to let up on the gas slightly to get her to shift... Will the Govna fix this if i rebuild/clean it?

Chip, chip my good fellass..l

American english is fine with me.....but yes, the gov does tell the tranny when to shift according to RPM - then the TV pressure system overrides it if you have enough foot peddel. When you let off, it should shift smoothly into the next gear at the proper RPM.

It is not unusualy for the gov to "hang up" in it's bore and get sitcky with debris or varnish. If stuck in a "outer orbit" the gov will tell the trans that you are hualing azz and need to shift - this when you start getting stacked shifts and when stopping won't downshift properly becuase it doesn't see that you are slowing down. If stuck at a "lower orbit", the trans won't shift out of first gear easily. Often if sticky you experince BOTH orbits due to the flyweight sticking at both ends of the gov and never being free enough to slide smoothly as intended.

Winter is the worst time for AOD Gov troubles, debris is thick and sticky in the cold.

Members online

No members online now.
Back