My review of 04SSHD's HID conversion kit

Dominus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, so last night I finally installed my conversion kit that I got from him.

For those of you who are not familiar with this kit, it is a kit that completely replaces the HID system on 1997-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII cars with all new modern HID bulbs, wiring, and ballasts. The object is to escape the rapidly declining supply, and rapidly increasing price of the Sylvania HID bulb, while also giving a noticable improvement in light output.

Upon first opening the kit, I found everything well packaged and neatly organized, as well as a not including his contact info, and a link to photo installation instructions.

The kit itself is clearly one of the better aftermarket HID kits I have seen. Rather than coming with the shat knockoff ballasts I see in most HID kits (which always seem to fail), these ballasts are a familiar design that i have used before and know to be reliable. I have the same set in my old Dodge since mid 2003. The bulbs are 9006 sized D2S style bulbs with your typical aftermarket connectors on them. This is where the ease of replacement comes in. You can buy these bulbs seperately all over ebay in a wide variety of temps and styles. The bulb temp in this kit is 4300k, which is basically the same temp as what you already have. Best light output, and a white color.

The most important parts, the Mark VIII specific parts are more than adequately done. The grommet necessary to retain the proper (and watertight) use of the plastic covers that go on the back of the lights has been professionally mounted, and is of perfect size. Fits right in. The plexiglas adapters included were spot on, and definitely do the job.

The installation itself was actually very easy, despite seeming a little more difficult at first. The most difficult part of the whole thing is tapping into the stock wiring harness for the lights. Included are a set of T-taps for this purpose. I decided to forgoe this, and simply mated the wiring to my stock ballast connectors, removing the old ballasts completely. His instructions provided the perfect locations for routing of the wiring, and location of the ballasts. Be sure to keep them out of the engine bay, or they will have a very short life.

So, was there any improvement you ask? The answer is simply yes. There is not even a question. Compared to my old, but working HID-9500 bulbs, this thing blasts light like a cannon. The difference was the same as going from a halogen light to xenons in the first place.

The only change I will be making however, is the addition of a relay system to power the ballasts. A small problem I encountered (which he details in the instructions) is that on occasion, the lights may flicker upon startup, or only one may come on. This is a very familiar issue with attaching ballasts tot he stock relay system, and can easily be corrected by simply putting in a relay setup. But honestly, it is something I will be doing in my spare time, when I feel like it. Hasn't happened enough times to cause me THAT great of a concern. However, headlight relay kits are available preconfigured all over ebay, and even in your local auto parts store, and even a monkey can do a relay setup.

One other recommendation for anyone who gets this kit: Do not be concerned about the color of the light. 4300k bulbs produce a yellowish/greenish light while they are still new. Just leave your headlights on every time you take your car out for a drive, and within a few days, they should set into their true color. This is true of all 4300k bulbs, no matter the manufacturer. All HID bulbs mature in color as they burn on.

To put it simply, if you can manage an oil change, you can do this conversion, and it makes purchasing new or used HID-9500 bulbs look like a total waste. I am glad I chose this over paying basically the same price for a set of used bulbs. And speaking of used bulbs, I just sold my bulbs for more than the price of this kit, so he might as well have sent it to me for free, with cash included in the box.

I give it an A.

After a few days of driving with my lights on at all times, my bulbs have matured into a perfect white emission of light. No more green or yellow light bands.

Back up? Get rid of your HID-9500s. This is not just a replacement, it is a serious upgrade. His pics do NO JUSTICE for how much light output increases. It is massive.

I, too, must concur with Dominus' review.

I'm still amazed at how well the lights are working.

:cool:

You have a good point there... I only ownder about oncoming glare for my fellow drivers.

Worry not. One thing I forgot to mention was that for all of the "focal point" talk that was made, the OEM beam pattern has not changed. Just more light where it already shined.

I agree!

I put the kit in yesterday and I have to agree. It wasn't that difficult and the light produced is great!
Thanks for the tip on the relay kit, I'll get one this week.
Did you guys pull the old ballast out? I left mine but next time it's on the lift I'm going to take it out I think.
Anyone interested in the a good working bulb? If not it'll end up on ebay.:)

Toss it ont he bay man. People pay retarded prices for them.

I left the old ballast in, but I'll squeeze her out the next time I am under.

Hid

Yeah I'll pull the ballast out next month when I finally do the JMOD.
Also, on a different subject I have the aftermarket Springs to get rid of the air ride but the kit was for my 1995 ( now deceased) will it work on my 1997? Just thought someone might know of the top of their head. thanks

Last i checked, the Gen2 cars did not have any hard suspension parts that were any diferent. The struts were different, since the Gen2 no longer carried the electronic adjustments, but mounting points stayed the same. You should be able to just toss it right in.

Thanks for the first hand account. I know who I'll be contacting when my bulbs finally die.

Something as simple as a bulb adapter may be the single most important thing within an entire car community.

On a side note, if you think we have it bad, try getting parts for a Taurus SHO right now.... the planned obsolescences is in full effect right now.

Adaptor

I agree, the adaptor is such a great solution. And the positioning of the beam seems right on as far as I can tell.
I didn't hear about the SHO parts problem but I know the camshaft timing on the V8 SHO's are pretty much ticking time bombs.

What about the rear deck light on a 98

I got rear ended and the body shop couldn't even find a bulb on ebay or anywhere. Does anyone know of a conversion or replacement for the HID rear deck light?

Thank you for the compliments, I am glad to be able to help the Mark VIII community!

conversion kit

Where can I get the conversion kit? I have a bulb that has been out for over 6 months I am tired of driving with one head light.
I need the kit or a replacement bulb for the drivers side.
Thanks

Where can I get the conversion kit? I have a bulb that has been out for over 6 months I am tired of driving with one head light.
Thanks

Uh............oh nevermind. I'm with Frogman.

Thanks

Just order a bulb from your local Lincoln/Mercury dealer, I'm sure they will have one in stock.
:)

Not in stock

I have ordered the bulb over 6 months ago, and I have been told that it is on back order and have been for quite some time. Ford has a conversion kit that will be available in May, but I am still driving without the low beam.

Members online

No members online now.
Back