My official exhaust cut out thread with pics/video

The Hotness

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I wanted to have the best of both worlds on the exhaust with my LS. So I opted for cutouts, I got my hands on some vacuum actuated cutouts of a Saleen Mustang and the project is not quite finished. I have all the piping completed today and am hoping for stock quiet cruise with all out aggression and performance from open exhaust existing only at WOT.

BEFORE
l_561e6ca37130dadd34b15d6100ffcf93.png

AFTER
l_40832667260dc57044451cde65a07b55.png

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4762883891383389851&hl=en

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5688843428808581519&hl=en

You may praise or flame now. :D

Can you really do something like this on a car like ours? I know a simple CAI made my car run like crap until I reset the computer, I can't imagine what a sudden change in backpressure is going to tell it. Good luck, if it works well, that will be awesome.

I don't understand why you guys are hating on it some much stating that I don't gain power blah blah..

Truth is this isn't off the heads, this is after cats and it's 2" not 15" exhaust. There still is backpressure and I did notice some gains on the butt dyno.

After owning a GTO and an SRT-4, some of you guys have to be some of the blindest people in the forum community. Were here for resources and to help each other out.

My search function told me that I was one of the first to try this on an LS, and this is a concept that has been used since the 30's. Plus think about that the cutouts that I have... are factory.

I don't understand why you guys are hating on it some much stating that I don't gain power blah blah..

Truth is this isn't off the heads, this is after cats and it's 2" not 15" exhaust. There still is backpressure and I did notice some gains on the butt dyno.

After owning a GTO and an SRT-4, some of you guys have to be some of the blindest people in the forum community. Were here for resources and to help each other out.

My search function told me that I was one of the first to try this on an LS, and this is a concept that has been used since the 30's. Plus think about that the cutouts that I have... are factory.

motors from the 30s are very different than todays motors for starters.

motors from the 30s are very different than todays motors for starters.

This is a very popular mod in almost every v-8 community, this one seems to be the one that's not quite supportive of it.

If you guys want to throw some money up this way, I would be more than happy to dyno capped vs uncapped. :headbang:

This is a very popular mod in almost every v-8 community, this one seems to be the one that's not quite supportive of it.

If you guys want to throw some money up this way, I would be more than happy to dyno capped vs uncapped. :headbang:

Your peak might be higher. So in a 1/4mile run where the motor stays in the high rpm band the entire time except luanch(unless you have a stall)it may benefit ever so slightly. But for the normal driving what you lose down low will out weigh the gain on top.

Often the best time is determined by the short game.

ok... so first off. YOU are the one that said I could flame.

Secondly, Im not saying that cutouts will never do anything. On the right application there can be some good gains. Your little SRT-4 is a fine example. With that turbo, the faster you can get the exhaust out the better. Similar as well to the GTO. That is a BIG V8 and your probably going to lose a little TQ on the GTO but probably get alot HP.

Thirdly, The LS needs quiet abit of back-pressure just as the Ford modular 4.6 V8 does as well. There is a reason why the stock exhaust is so small. We have a small 4 valve v8 that needs some good backpressure.

Fourthly, There is a reason why you are the only one who did it on your LS. Most of us dont wont the sound of Satin coming from out luxury sedans There are ALOT more reason NOT to do it than TO do it. Dont tell us we are blind when you dont have the facts strait yourself.

And just for the record, SRT-4 owners are some the most blindly led car owners I have known. Most of the forums are ridiculous and tell me false information.

Were here for resources and to help each other out.

Hey, I tried to help you out and said go cancel your appointment. Thus, your statement not valid.

So you are correct, I did say that I you could flame. I am just sticking up for myself. There is a reason that I posted this thread and that was to give information out to those who may want it in the future.

There is only one reason that you listed that was not addressed earlier and that's the LS needs back pressure. We all need backpressure, think if our asses didn't have buttholes.

Ls is also a luxury car, and I am sure by changing your intake you noticed bigger than normal gains. Truth is they tuned the :q:q:q:q out of our cars to have it be very quiet.... My friend and exhaust guy Forrest told me that since these f-ing cars steps down the exhaust from big to small to smaller is just purely to reduce noise.

Sound of satin only comes at WOT.

if i had money to throw on a dyno i'd put mine on there for a custom tune :p in any event what size is the stock exhaust pipe?

LOL, based on zero facts and wonderfully personalized information.

You didn't care to ask. To each his own I guess, not worth my time to keep arguing.

There is only one reason that you listed that was not addressed earlier and that's the LS needs back pressure. We all need backpressure, think if our asses didn't have buttholes.

.... Is this your understanding of backpressure??

just as a basic rule of thumb, its not always limited to your displacement, N/A OHC engines tend to need more backpressure for optimal running. pushrods with open heads tend to run a bit better. with proper tuning when you open the headers what you're going to do isn't necessarily LOSE a ton of tq but you're going to watch your tq lines shift wayyyy higher in the RPM range. however without any tune work your computer may become a bit befuddled by the sudden lack of backpressure, you'll probably start running lean due to the sudden increase in airflow. it can also throw off the valves and stroke timing in your engine, your tuned to have bad air moving out at a certain time and clean air in at a certain time... changin the rate at which air leaves the engine will change that tune..
as a former camaro owner this is a really helpful explanation of what is going on with open headers it gets a bit words so here are some key points:
http://www.fbody.com/anything/950661
When the exhaust pulse exits the cylinder and
meets a negative pressure zone, it will effectively
get sucked out (scavenged) if the timing is right.

This is why RPM is a factor because it is variable
whereas the pipe length, and valve timing is not.

In the graph below, you can see that at the point
of exhaust stroke and overlap, the pressure wave
is below 0 PSI which helps draw out the gas from
the cylinder.

Getting on the topic of backpressure. Those who
claim you need mufflers to make power often say
this because the engine feels weaker when they
remove the secondary length of pipe from their
system.

Most of the time, people will drop the exhaust
right after the collector and the bottom end
power is lost.

To justify this, they say "I've lost backpressure
and therefore my engine is weaker."

In effect, what really happened is, you have
shortened the tuned length and thrown off the
timing of the reflected pulse back to the exhaust
port.

So...instead of getting a negative peak, you
may get a positive peak when the exhaust valve
opens which prevents some of the gas from leaving
the cylinder.

What does that do? It leaves dirty exhaust gas
in the cylinder and it mixes with the intake
charge on the proceeding intake cycle.

Now instead of having nice cool, fresh air and
fuel, you also have hot, inert exhaust gas mixed
in.

This acts like "EGR" and reduces the power
potential of the power stroke.

...still wondering what stock pipe size is...

When the exhaust pulse exits the cylinder and
meets a negative pressure zone, it will effectively
get sucked out (scavenged) if the timing is right.
This is why RPM is a factor because it is variable
whereas the pipe length, and valve timing is not.
In the graph below, you can see that at the point
of exhaust stroke and overlap, the pressure wave
is below 0 PSI which helps draw out the gas from
the cylinder.
Getting on the topic of backpressure. Those who
claim you need mufflers to make power often say
this because the engine feels weaker when they
remove the secondary length of pipe from their
system.
Most of the time, people will drop the exhaust
right after the collector and the bottom end
power is lost.
To justify this, they say "I've lost backpressure
and therefore my engine is weaker."
In effect, what really happened is, you have
shortened the tuned length and thrown off the
timing of the reflected pulse back to the exhaust
port.
So...instead of getting a negative peak, you
may get a positive peak when the exhaust valve
opens which prevents some of the gas from leaving
the cylinder.
What does that do? It leaves dirty exhaust gas
in the cylinder and it mixes with the intake
charge on the proceeding intake cycle.
Now instead of having nice cool, fresh air and
fuel, you also have hot, inert exhaust gas mixed
in.
This acts like "EGR" and reduces the power
potential of the power stroke.

Very good write up! I agree with everything your saying.

Throw this into the mix, your engine runs at certain frequencies (rpm) and your exhaust is tuned to amplifiy that effect or degrade it. Just like you wrote, but that's only good for one rpm. Regardless your going to get the negative at other ends of the rpm bands. Simple physics.

Regardless, I think the exhaust will work very well when completed. Then next will be intake and then I will get dyno tuned. Anybody done cams in these things yet??

We are all on the same page I believe, and that's to make good power out of these motors..

Have you considered one of these:
cable operated exhaust cutouts

They make electric ones too, but they get pricey.

Originally I was going to go electric, because I wanted on/off functionality and then be able to have it turn on when I am full throttle only. Fortuantely my exhaust guy had some vacuum cutouts from a Saleen Mustang. Since their vacuum operated, I am expecting a progressive output. Start quiet and as I roll into the throttle it will be wide open. Saturday she should be finished and I will try to get some vids up that do it justice.

I didn't realize how cheap the cable operated ones were!

Members online

No members online now.
Back