My LS is acting up

PHYS Inc.

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I had a miss so I replaced all the coils (Ford coils) they car runs great now except once a day while im at idle they will drop to 400 and the car sounds like its missing. If i turn off the car and restart its fine. MAF maybe? any help. MAF was replaced by the previous owner. (170,000kms total on the car) I love this car and just want it to run properly.

So I had a miss so I replaced all the coils (Ford coils) they car runs great now except once a day while im at idle they will drop to 400 and the car sounds like its missing. If i turn off the car and restart its fine. MAF maybe? any help. MAF was replaced by the previous owner. (170,000kms total on the car) I love this car and just want it to run properly.

Believe it or not, not all years of the LS are the same, and my ESP does not always work well enough to determine which year you have, or even if you have the V8 or the V6. Without knowing year and engine, it is difficult to give good advise. For some years, I would suggest that you clean or replace the Idle Air Bypass Valve, but other years don't even have one. For the V6 I might suggest looking at the PCV valve, but the V8 doesn't have one. And so on and so on...

LS Acting Up

With regard Joe's reply and cleaning IAC Valves, on my '02 LS V-8, ALLDATA says "Do not use Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner D9AZ-19579-BA meeting Ford Specification ESR-M14P9-A or any other type of solvent as damage to the valve internal components may result." The implication is that a troublesome IAC Valve must be replaced. This bugs me since the valve is in an environment exposed to petroleum products. Anybody have success cleaning an IAC Valve? If so, what solvent did you use?

ya it was weird. stupid cop. its all good now and ford is replacing the deffective coil on tuesday. just used one of my old coils as a temp fix

With regard Joe's reply and cleaning IAC Valves, on my '02 LS V-8, ALLDATA says "Do not use Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner D9AZ-19579-BA meeting Ford Specification ESR-M14P9-A or any other type of solvent as damage to the valve internal components may result." The implication is that a troublesome IAC Valve must be replaced. This bugs me since the valve is in an environment exposed to petroleum products. Anybody have success cleaning an IAC Valve? If so, what solvent did you use?

Glad you got it fixed how much did all this cost you to replace all of them before? Also I have cleaned hundreds of IAC with carb cleaner and now I use gasket remover. I figure if it is technically junk by fords standards, what do you have to lose? Also Ford says you cannot clean a MAF sensor either or it will mess it's calibration, what a joke, I have also fixed many hundreds of cars by cleaning maf with cue-tips and brake clean.

Didnt cost me anything. Ford is replacing the coil at no charge and i have a spare motor i am rebuilding so I had the housing. 1 question though what is the best way to clean the MAF sensor it self

LS Acting Up

I agree with you guys.......disregard the "don't clean" recommendations......try cleaning before replacement.

Ford's concern is that you will clean off the coating on the inside of the throttle body. They've had lots of trouble from the quick lube places. They talk people out of money to clean the throttle body when they aren't having any problems. After the cleaning, they start to have problems because the non-stick coating is damaged.

There are cleaners now that are coating safe. Also, if you are actually having a problem, you have nothing to lose by cleaning the IAC or the throttle body. It's just something that you shouldn't do if everything is working correctly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back