My kingdom for CV boots!

Marcus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Edited to remove pointless information...

I need a pair of inner CV boots that AREN'T those sh1tty Dorman "universal" boots. Anybody got a source or would be willing to part with a set? Raybestos part# is 8168033. I'm willing to pay top dollar. Otherwise I'd be willing to take a pair of GOOD used ones off a bad shaft if anyone has them. I could always take them off my current shafts but I'd prefer not to ruin a perfectly good (but very rusty) pair of shafts.

Are the ones on your current CVs shot?

I've never seen a rear CV axle boot split, they do it all the time for front CV axles because those wheels turn in a steering manner which kinks the boots

I guess I edited out too much. Long story short, I got ahold of some NOS shafts, literally like brand new. But the inner joint (the tripod joint) has to be bought separately and comes with no boots. So I need some good boots before I can assemble them.

And if anyone has to ask, I bought these strictly for cosmetic reasons. I've become obsessed with shiny parts. It's a sickness.

Pic

0417141612.jpg

Well, some boots are still available. I'm just not sure which ones will fit, if any. The "correct" boot for Mark VIIIs are long gone. That same boot (F2SZ4K326C) was used for all V8 MN12s and Marks starting in '93, despite the fact that several different shaft/inner joint combinations were used. The only ones still available are for various combinations of the 3.8 (SC and non-SC) with either a 7.5 or 8.8 rear end. The only one I can think that might work would be the DS Super Coupe (non "thick" shaft). There are some of them still floating around.

Well, after writing that, I managed to locate a dealer in North Carolina that had the last one on earth. The guy said the box looked like it came over on the Mayflower haha.

So I still need one more. At this point I'm willing to take a used shaft with a good boot. If anybody has a bad shaft or even a good one with the original boot let me know. Would prefer not to trash a good shaft but I'll take what I can get. Maybe someone's got a crappy reman that didn't work out? I'll take it off your hands.

Was a source for inner boots ever found? I have a custom hybrid axle which uses the Mark VIII 8.8 differential and inner joints. Looking for new inner CV boots.

I wonder how well a Dorman 03680 might work?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=319277&cc=1140567&jnid=520&jpid=1

Never mind that ^^^ idea - did some more digging before posting, it wouldn't work. The "tricky" part is the tri-lobe cup. The big end of the boot needs to account for that. Only thing I can think of is cutting off the very end of the old boot to use as a spacer (the portion that seals the tri-lobe), and overlapping a new "normal" boot over it. Maybe use some rubber cement to bond the spacer to the new boot so that it's not solely held in place via pressure. But does a boot exist with a 4.100" big end, 1.16" axle, and 5.6" height???

Here's a couple that come close....
http://www.amazon.com/04427-60140-4..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439919095&sr=1-4 (2005 Toyota 4 Runner)
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/inner-drive-shaft-rubber-cv-joint-boot-dust/212917933.html (Nissan)

Never found any new. I got one from a used axle.

Okay, thanks for the response Marcus.

I see rebuilt half-shafts all over the 'net for this car and the Super coupe. Surely they must be using new boots on those. Where are they getting them from???

Members online

No members online now.
Back