My horn is dead

V-8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
How do i fix it?

I looked under the hood, but am unsure how to find out if the relay is bad.

I was figuring a loose wire also. Where is the horn located?

Thanks

Have you checked the fuse? I don't recall if it's located in the passenger side footwell fuse block or the one under hood. Is your air bag light on and does any of your steering wheel functions work? If so, it could be your clock spring that's bad.

Yeah, the steering wheel functions work. I was using the radio buttons on the drive home from work.

No airbag light.

I checked and the horn fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. It's on the left side of the engine if you facing the front of the car. The fuse is in the #4 slot. Pull it out and check it to make sure it's not blown. If so, replace it with a 15A fuse. The relay that runs the horn is also in that fuse box. It is in Relay 06. I don't know if you'll be able to check that or not but it's more of an FYI thing.

Check the fuse first and if it's ok then move to the actual horn.

Here's a diagram of the fuse box under the hood:

horn.jpg

I'd go with fuse or relay as well. The chances of a open in a wire on a car this new are just to small. One thing I learned working on aircraft is that wires don't just break.

Both my horns went dead at the same time --

Turns out Ford mounted them skyward, they filled with water, rusted the vibrator's -- no more honk-honk :(

Replaced 'em both from the local AutoParts store -- turns out Ford and the local AP store use the same brand horns.

Mine are behind the grille, under the hood latch.

V-8 said:
How do i fix it?

I looked under the hood, but am unsure how to find out if the relay is bad.
I have this problem as well. The horn relay is in the power distribution box, which is mounted on the leading edge of the passenger-side front wheel well. It looks exactly like Ken's diagram.

I want to say the horn relay is relay 13; the easiest way to find it is to open the PBD, then start pressing the lock button on the remote repeatedly. You should be able to locate the realy fairly quickly--it'll click twice each time you push the button (after the first), since it's trying to honk twice to tell you that the hood is open.

If you futz with the relay, you'll probably get it working again, but it'll only be temporary--at least it has been for me. Mine is either a bad relay of a bad connection in the PDB, but I haven't gotten around to taking it into the dealer yet. (The warranty's a good thing, and my dealer's service shop is good, but taking it in is a pain.)

GrayGhost1 said:
I checked and the horn fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. It's on the left side of the engine if you facing the front of the car. The fuse is in the #4 slot. Pull it out and check it to make sure it's not blown. If so, replace it with a 15A fuse. The relay that runs the horn is also in that fuse box. It is in Relay 06. I don't know if you'll be able to check that or not but it's more of an FYI thing.

Check the fuse first and if it's ok then move to the actual horn.

I didnt see the fuse in the diagram. Ill take a look. Im figuring it has to be a fuse, odd for it to go out, but i have a habit of using my horn:D .

Ill check in the A.M. and get back to you guys!

Well pulled the horn Fuse, and it was still good.

Two questions:

1) How do you tell if a relay is bad?
2) Where is the horn located?

OK, weird.

My horn.......

WORKS!

Why? I dont know. Im gonna have to guess loose wire maybe. Hmm.

Its seems no cares about my horn woes.

But if someone does....

It STOPPED working again.

What a headache!

Wow! I have never seen this before. You must be first for this problem. It has to be a loose wire or connection somewhere. My only advice would be to take it into the dealer and let them trace the wire and connection.

Ken,
I do not know how to start a post, but I just wanted you and everyone else to know that LSKONCEPTS RULES! I just got my "custom painted" grille from LSKoncepts and it looks fantastic! The work was unbelievably perfect and just what I was looking for....no, it looks better than I expected. Thanks for doing such a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnb said:
Ken,
I do not know how to start a post, but I just wanted you and everyone else to know that LSKONCEPTS RULES! I just got my "custom painted" grille from LSKoncepts and it looks fantastic! The work was unbelievably perfect and just what I was looking for....no, it looks better than I expected. Thanks for doing such a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not to hijack the thread but I'm glad you liked it! Post some pics when you get a chance.

HAHA, thats awesome.

I agree with you too, i think i spent quite a bit at LSK as well....

You're not the first; I have that problem, too. It's a minor miracle if my horn works. When I get aggravated enough, I'll make the dealer fix it, and I'll let you know what they say. Like I said, I can make the horn work by playing with the horn relay, but it's just a temporary solution.

Thinking about it, I can feel the relay click, so I don't think the relay is bad, but it could be. I'm leaning towards a bad connection in the PDB. I would think it would be easy enough to test with a continuity tester running from the output leg of the relay to ground--when you honk the horn, it should light up the tester. Getting to the bottom of the PDB to make the connection is another story entirely.

From what I understand, to get to the horn(s), you have to remove the shield that goes from the bottom of the valance/bumper cover to the crossmember, but I haven't gone there...

I went to my mechanic, and the horn is still dead. They (mechanic) said the clockspring is fine, all wires are fine. They had it for three days checking all the wires. They said the car threw some codes for my headlights (aftermarket HID), which may have caused the horn to stop.
They said the lights might have burnt the computer or gauge cluster. Recommended i go to the dealer to have them take a look at it....which is going to cost alot of money..:(

Oh, they fixed the wipers though, which is a plus.

bump...bump...

anyone ever hear of this before?

Members online

Back