My first Lincoln LS (2003) - a few questions

bgjersey30

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased my first Lincoln LS 2003 V8.

I got this car at a public auction and it has 96k miles on it.

Since buying the car at the auction "AS-IS" I noticed that there is a very hard kick into the the second gear... so hard that the rear driver side tires spin. This must have been happening with the previous owner because that tire is considerably more worn that the others, but not too bad though.

So my questions are:

What do you suspect is the reason the car shifts so hard from 1st to second gear?

Also I changed the thermostat and housing since the car was over heating and leaking. Much to my surprise there wasnt a thermostat! The previous owner took it out and did not put one back in??? I had a coolant flush at the dealer but now I have no heat. What do you think the cause of this is?

Thanks for all your input.

Also I changed the thermostat and housing since the car was over heating and leaking. Much to my surprise there wasnt a thermostat! The previous owner took it out and did not put one back in??? I had a coolant flush at the dealer but now I have no heat. What do you think the cause of this is?

Thanks for all your input.

Most of the time, no heat problems are because of air trapped in the cooling system.

Here are the instructions to bleed it out.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

If that works, the heat will probably stop again in a day or two. You'll find that there are other cracked cooling system parts, like the degas bottle and maybe the radiator hoses.

If the previous owner ever tried any kind of stop leak in the cooling system, then heaven help you.

Most of the time, no heat problems are because of air trapped in the cooling system.

Here are the instructions to bleed it out.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

If that works, the heat will probably stop again in a day or two. You'll find that there are other cracked cooling system parts, like the degas bottle and maybe the radiator hoses.

If the previous owner ever tried any kind of stop leak in the cooling system, then heaven help you.

The flush was done at the dealership- they should have bleed the system properly, and would they have noticed any "stop leak" in the cooling system?

Also, I was thinking of replacing the degas bottle soon, but the dealer was telling me that they think that I may need to replace my egr valve... but they didnt mention that it would relate to me having NO heat?

I intially went to the dealership to get a coolant flush and to have the VGC replaced under the 10yr / 100000 mi wanrranty since I noticed they were leaking but they only did the coolant flush and informed me of the egr.

I just thought they were trying to get some additional money out of me... what are your thoughts?

Hello All,

Since buying the car at the auction "AS-IS" I noticed that there is a very hard kick into the the second gear... so hard that the rear driver side tires spin. This must have been happening with the previous owner because that tire is considerably more worn that the others, but not too bad though.

So my questions are:

What do you suspect is the reason the car shifts so hard from 1st to second gear?

My guess on this is the solenoid pack, which is a very common problem on these transmissions.

Also, you asked joegr if the dealer would have bled the system properly, and it's entirely possible they didn't. It's another common problem.

... they think that I may need to replace my egr valve... but they didnt mention that it would relate to me having NO heat?

EGR is not related to heating. You may or may not need one, but it won't have anything to do with your climate control problem(s).

where can you purchase a TRANSMISSION SOLENOID PACK for a 2003 lincoln ls....and if you have issues with hard shifting will this fix the problem....or is there more needed to replace....

Contact Maxx at fivestarford from the ad to the left or Tasca auto parts. Both of those companies are like the go-tos for LS parts. See which is priced the best but either way you go theyre both wayyyy cheaper than the dealership for OEM parts. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=80761 runs through the different symptoms of different issues with the tranny, but the solenoids are notorious for their issues in these cars and generally are the best starting point for tranny repairs after a reflash/tune.

Hey bgjersey, what price did you pick the car up for if you dont mind me asking? Congrats on purchase :)

thanks alot i just purchased mine as well but with issues on the trans.....hopefully it was a good investment considering this issue.....i bought mine for 2600 with 147k on the dash.......

Hey bgjersey, what price did you pick the car up for if you dont mind me asking? Congrats on purchase :)[/QUOTE]

I purchased the car at an auction for $2500 with 95k miles on dash... changed the solenoid but still have a harsh shift from 1-2??

Members online

No members online now.
Back