My Drilled + Slotted Upgrade by Brake Motive

I would go with the flame proof coating. It's probably your best bet.

interesting,

Are you saying you in effect clear coated the outer edges, slots and holes???
anyone see any issue doing this?

More details please

yes, i clearcoated everything

some people like to mask off the contact surface, but that prevents the clear coat from going into the holes / slots, where lots of rust tend to creep up

the only reason why i said to seal the whole thing then sand down the contact surface is to prevent pad contamination and the really heart wrenching sensation of braking on clear coat; really LOUD grinding noise and loss of stopping power, but that will only last for 1-2 days of constant braking, not something you want to experience trust me lol (edit: dont worry about getting ugly sand marks on your precious new rotors lol, braking will re-polish it)

ill post some pics of what i used/did

i had much more pictures of the process for you but for some reason it gives me upload errors

but this is the product i used:
picture.php

gave it 2 light coats, then 2 medium coats and baked them for 1hr at 200degrees (stopped halfway cause the smell became unbearable and it gave me a migraine haha)

note: i just baked them to speed up the process cause i had to install them the same day (only day off), i actually followed the instructions on the label

if you do it make sure to spray several extra coats between the 2 disk sandwiches (lots of rust creeps up in there too due to no contact with the pads)

finished result:

picture.php

like i said its really up to you if you want to do it,
but I would personally highly recommend it.

zinc coating is just that, a tiny electroplated coating that's only a few microns in thickness, it just cannot resist severe weather conditions (picture how fast the gold plating on your watch fades away just by normal wear lol)

not sure how your weather is where you live, but here in montreal with rain/snow all my friends that had "super pro quality" ebay zinc coated rotors including me on my old car (the silver ones, and the gold-green-ish zinc coated too) all started rusting.

worth the 7$ and the few hrs of investment in my opinion
good luck! :Beer

Project delayed... I have to push this one back a bit more. Today I drove the car to get some food. While crusing down a street at about 25 mph, I get a warning. "Check Engine Temp"... nice

So now I have to replace the thermostat before I can buy the tools I need to replace the brakes.

I would do both thermostat and coolant bottle and a flush.

i had much more pictures of the process for you but for some reason it gives me upload errors

but this is the product i used:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/picture.php?albumid=281&pictureid=1626

gave it 2 light coats, then 2 medium coats and baked them for 1hr at 200degrees (stopped halfway cause the smell became unbearable and it gave me a migraine haha)

note: i just baked them to speed up the process cause i had to install them the same day (only day off), i actually followed the instructions on the label

if you do it make sure to spray several extra coats between the 2 disk sandwiches (lots of rust creeps up in there too due to no contact with the pads)

finished result:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/picture.php?albumid=281&pictureid=1627

like i said its really up to you if you want to do it,
but I would personally highly recommend it.

zinc coating is just that, a tiny electroplated coating that's only a few microns in thickness, it just cannot resist severe weather conditions (picture how fast the gold plating on your watch fades away just by normal wear lol)

not sure how your weather is where you live, but here in montreal with rain/snow all my friends that had "super pro quality" ebay zinc coated rotors including me on my old car (the silver ones, and the gold-green-ish zinc coated too) all started rusting.

worth the 7$ and the few hrs of investment in my opinion
good luck! :Beer

that's really neat. i used black high temp spray paint on my rotors with great success. been over a year with multiple power-washings, but this clear idea is really neat. i'll be trying this next time i need brakes. which will probably be awhile still.

Knocked them out this weekend... Turned out well, I used VHT Flame proof/ header paint and Flame proof clear coat or the calipers. they turned out ok. they really "blued" up when the clear went on. More of a battleship grey now, but still turned out well. No noticeable braking difference, but they look great.. some quick shots from saturday and this morning....

stockbrake1.jpg

stockbrake2.jpg

stockbrake3.jpg

stockbrake4.jpg

stockbrake5.jpg

stockbrake6.jpg

leftover wax from storage on the tire
stockbrake7.jpg

stockbrake8.jpg

stockbrake9.jpg

stockbrake10.jpg

Great work! I was curious about the size as well. Also, you may be the only one to list their clubs in their sig.

20" (on stock springs, i know, i know...no need to say it)

Those wheels are pretty boss I like them. What kind are they? I don't put clubs in my sig because I'm using clubs from Walmart haha

Looks good Rell. And I am gonna say it.....do not lower it. LOL.

Those wheels are pretty boss I like them. What kind are they? I don't put clubs in my sig because I'm using clubs from Walmart haha

They are Niche Game 20x8.5 IIRC. I like them....LOL, clubs are clubs. its how you use them that count...

Looks good Rell. And I am gonna say it.....do not lower it. LOL.

LOL, right on, I was going to bag it but... NM. :p

It needs to be lowered, just havent gotten around to it.. I'll do it when i do the front end kit like we talked about

I usually end up with passengers on road trips. Add luggage to that and I end up never lowering mine. LOL.

that's really neat. i used black high temp spray paint on my rotors with great success. been over a year with multiple power-washings, but this clear idea is really neat. i'll be trying this next time i need brakes. which will probably be awhile still.

do it! ;) just make sure you use A LOT of coats though, since its clear and you cant see it its harder to tell whether all the spots are covered or not

G-RELL said:
Knocked them out this weekend... Turned out well, I used VHT Flame proof/ header paint and Flame proof clear coat or the calipers. they turned out ok. they really "blued" up when the clear went on. More of a battleship grey now, but still turned out well. No noticeable braking difference, but they look great.. some quick shots from saturday and this morning....
very nice job on the calipers! damn all those pics of slotted rotors making me regret not getting slotted too lol

did you end up clearcoating your rotors?

nice wheels btw kinda different but i dig

They are Niche Game 20x8.5 IIRC. I like them....LOL, clubs are clubs. its how you use them that count...

LOL, right on, I was going to bag it but... NM. :p

It needs to be lowered, just havent gotten around to it.. I'll do it when i do the front end kit like we talked about

I've been using this set of hand me downs for years, also have an r5 I got as a hand me down but they work just fine. The best clubs in the world won't make you a better golfer, practice does.

Loving the brakes and wheels GRell

EDIT: Nevermind, I skipped over a post where it was advised to do the whole rotor and then sand the contact area. interesting idea.

some companies claim to coat them, my ebc's had a black coating but it wore off rather quick. The main problem with painting them rather than plating them is that once the pad wheres of the paint in the contact area moisture will now get under the paint on the edges. Then it will bubble and peal off.

The best thing you could do other than a good plating service such as a chrome service which chrome is actually quite durable, would be to have them anno'd

Members online

No members online now.
Back