My BIG 94 sts problem.

mjretrokid23

New LVC Member
Reaction score
i hit a crazy bump in my sts and it stalled on me in the middle of the highway.
i went to the mechanic and they told me that my oilf filter crushed. he told me that i would have to buy a whole new engine for my car. so we put a new oil filter to try and see if it would work. it worked for a few but died on me again. something is wrong inside the engine and i dont know wat it is. i get a (clik clak clik clak....) when i start my my car and when its at idle and while im drivein. does anybody have any idea wat it could be.

Does it sound like an internal or external problem? If it's internal, can you tell generally where its coming from, ie, top end like the heads, of bottom like the crank or something. If the filter got crushed, (which sounds crazy to me that hitting a bump would do that), it seems that the damage would be from loss of oil pressure. Which is bad. However if the damage is top end, which is what would usually be damaged first in an instant oil loss situation, you might get away with head work, or new heads, which should be cheaper than a whole new motor. Damaged valve trains go click clack click. Bottom end damage goes knock knock knock.

Very nicely put. It's almost like a ballet.. Click clack clunk... Yeah what do you have to hit to damage the oil filter? They're not really in a vulnerable area are they?

crazyman said:
Does it sound like an internal or external problem? If it's internal, can you tell generally where its coming from, ie, top end like the heads, of bottom like the crank or something. If the filter got crushed, (which sounds crazy to me that hitting a bump would do that), it seems that the damage would be from loss of oil pressure. Which is bad. However if the damage is top end, which is what would usually be damaged first in an instant oil loss situation, you might get away with head work, or new heads, which should be cheaper than a whole new motor. Damaged valve trains go click clack click. Bottom end damage goes knock knock knock.

Just a suggestion. Could it be a defective oil pump? Not enough oil pressure might be causing the problem? Do you have any diagnostic codes?

To enter diagnostic mode:

1. Turn ignition "ON."
2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Sounds like an oil pump problem to me, The filter shouldn't be exposed. Had a cracked pump casing once and ghad to have engine pulled to replace it. If you haven't driven it for too long engine might be ok. But an oil pressure loss could caise catastopic wear on lots of stuff. Sometime a replacement engine from a wreck is cheaper than an engine rebuild. To keep driving with the noise is kinda like Russian roulette, It will only get worse.
The noise sounds like oil starved lifters to me...

Members online

No members online now.
Back