My 96 mark 8 has a burnt out compressor. Its stored in my driveway coverd The frame is touching the earth so nothing can get under to lift it up excep

BILLBOATS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 96 mark 8 has a burn out compressor. Its in my yard covered. The problem is the fame is resting on the ground not allowing any thing under the frame to lift. I feel a tow truck with a wheel lift could lift it high so jackl stands can be set under the car. Its a very nice all orginal 96 mark 8 122,000 orginals. Hers a question for the board. Would keeping the air ride make the car more appealing to future buyer than converting to steel springs. ? I am ready to buy compressor and struts once its off the ground. Converting to sprins not as easy because I have to get the car out of my home to my mechanic which I can do. Mechanic charges 100 an hour. It may be more appealing to restore the air ride and hundereds less with me doing the work. I am buying off Arnott out of florida who makes all the air parts in their factory. They give detailed instructions on how to do the job with pictures too. The question is air more desireable to mark buyers and owners over spring conversioned mark 8's?I have been off the board a long time but now I look forward to chatting with you

Here's my take (I bought my '97 with the spring conversion already done):
- The spring conversion will lessen the body roll, handle tightly, and depending on the springs, can be stanced nicely.
- However, the air suspension should be smoother for cruising and is OEM for the car.

As a buyer, I think it's more appealing if the car is on air suspension, because it makes it as comfortable as the car was meant to be, and allows the buyer to have a comfortable ride while they chose the exact suspension they want (hard as a seller to guess what the buyer would want, especially if you don't know the buyer, right?).

I should say though, would you be selling to the higher end of the Mark VIII market? Since the air suspension is more suspect to failure and more costly based on others' experiences with it, someone who is tighter on money may find it more appealing to have new suspension already installed.

Thanks foir you input. Up to the time the air ride failed the car was riding well with the air ride. I M CHOOSING TO REPLACE THE COMPRESSOR 1ST ,ITS A GOOD CHANCE THE COMPRESSOR CAUSED THE FAILURE AND THE FRONT AND BACK OF THE AIR STRUTS AND REAR AIR BAGS DID NOT CAUSE THE AIR RIDE TO FAIL. bY ATTACKING THE COMPRESSOR 1ST PROVIDING ITS THE CAUSE, THE REST OF THE SYSTEM MIGHT BE USABLE FOR A FEW WEEKS OR WHO KNOWS. iN ANY CASE , SHOULD THE COMPRESSOR NOT BE THE CAUSE, i CAN RETURN THE PART . pLAN B WOLD BE TO CONVERT TO SPRINGS ALL 4 WHEELS.iF ITS THE COMPRESSOR, i PLAN TO PUT NEW AIR STRUTS AND NEW REAR AIR BAGS ALONG WITH GAS SHOCKS. iN OTHER WORDS, IT COULD BE LESS $ IF ITS ONLY THE COMPRESSOR. AND THE AIR RIDE CAN BE SAVED PROVIDED ALL ELSE IF NOT DAMAGED. aND THE CAR COULD BE DRIVEN SOONER .i HAVE A FORD SUPER STAR SCANNER MADE FOR THE AIR RIDE. ONCE SCANNED IT WILL TELL ME WHAT IS BROKEN ON THE AIR RIDE. tHANKS SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP.

Thanks foir you input. Up to the time the air ride failed the car was riding well with the air ride. I M CHOOSING TO REPLACE THE COMPRESSOR 1ST ,ITS A GOOD CHANCE THE COMPRESSOR CAUSED THE FAILURE AND THE FRONT AND BACK OF THE AIR STRUTS AND REAR AIR BAGS DID NOT CAUSE THE AIR RIDE TO FAIL. bY ATTACKING THE COMPRESSOR 1ST PROVIDING ITS THE CAUSE, THE REST OF THE SYSTEM MIGHT BE USABLE FOR A FEW WEEKS OR WHO KNOWS. iN ANY CASE , SHOULD THE COMPRESSOR NOT BE THE CAUSE, i CAN RETURN THE PART . pLAN B WOLD BE TO CONVERT TO SPRINGS ALL 4 WHEELS.iF ITS THE COMPRESSOR, i PLAN TO PUT NEW AIR STRUTS AND NEW REAR AIR BAGS ALONG WITH GAS SHOCKS. iN OTHER WORDS, IT COULD BE LESS $ IF ITS ONLY THE COMPRESSOR. AND THE AIR RIDE CAN BE SAVED PROVIDED ALL ELSE IF NOT DAMAGED. aND THE CAR COULD BE DRIVEN SOONER .i HAVE A FORD SUPER STAR SCANNER MADE FOR THE AIR RIDE. ONCE SCANNED IT WILL TELL ME WHAT IS BROKEN ON THE AIR RIDE. tHANKS SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP.
The compressor has a relay, plug in, that could cause it not to run. I think you can get to it from under the car and remove it without having to remove the compressor itself. By the way, yes, you can remove the
compressor via the right wheel skin thing, just need small hands.

Also, if the system has a leak, or had, you would of noticed the car sagging overnight. That check air ride warning comes on if the compressor runs for more than 2-3 minutes. But you will hear it running.

The relay is still available, it just plugs in and last I checked was sold via regular parts stores, autozone or whatever. There are actually three of them, that one, the a/c compressor and one inside under the steering wheel, Chrome box about the size of a box of matches. If you find the other two, you can swap it with the one for the air ride to see.

The compressor has a relay, plug in, that could cause it not to run. I think you can get to it from under the car and remove it without having to remove the compressor itself. By the way, yes, you can remove the

Also, if the system has a leak, or had, you would of noticed the car sagging overnight. That check air ride warning comes on if the compressor runs for more than 2-3 minutes. But you will hear it running.

The relay is still available, it just plugs in and last I checked was sold via regular parts stores, autozone or whatever. There are actually three of them, that one, the a/c compressor and one inside under the steering wheel, Chrome box about the size of a box of matches. If you find the other two, you can swap it with the one for the air ride to see.
Here…

That guy does the full Monty, how to test the compressor fuse, how to access the compressor from under the car and how to test the relay and a good shot of the relay itself, so you know what you are looking for.

Sincererly thanks you for a detailed saolid answers . I think I will remove the bumper cover as I have big hands. I can scope it with my super star 2 tester too before buyin parts. Good answers The air ride light was comming on and air ride was saging before iot completely failed.

Members online

Back