My 240MPH Speedo...

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
My car was imported from Canada, I'm guessing that's the reason for the ridiculous speed...I only drove one 99 Seville so I'm not sure if this is par for the course, or if it is because it is a Canadian car. Anyone know for sure???

240_speedo.jpg

Kale

Cubster said:
Its in Kilometers

No it's not, it is MPH, look at the needle...see where it says "MPH"???

When you press English/Metric, the needles move and the numbers stay the same. The digital readout which says "0" since the car wasn't moving in that pic does change...

Kale

If its not kilometers, someone put a Ferrari Testarossa speedometer in your car, but didn't forget to remove the horsey..........lol

My guess is that the speedo is set-up for kilometers. The US cars, run to about 160. The speedos can be switched from MPH, to Kilometers, but the face does not change. The only thing that changes, is the needle adjusts. So, the US speedo, is set-up for MPH by default, and the rest of the worlds Caddy's, are set by Kilometers, by default.

Don

So the question remains...Do all Sevilles whether US or Export models have the same speedo, or do the US models have a speedo which reads less than 240. Can someone with a US version of the 1999 Seville confirm this?

Kale

Dadillac said:
My guess is that the speedo is set-up for kilometers. The US cars, run to about 160. The speedos can be switched from MPH, to Kilometers, but the face does not change. The only thing that changes, is the needle adjusts. So, the US speedo, is set-up for MPH by default, and the rest of the worlds Caddy's, are set by Kilometers, by default.

Don

Bingo.

And the U.S. models definitely do not go up that high

djKale said:
So the question remains...Do all Sevilles whether US or Export models have the same speedo, or do the US models have a speedo which reads less than 240. Can someone with a US version of the 1999 Seville confirm this?

Kale

The US models only have the MPH setting. See pics below - thats from a 99 sts US model

This one seems to be a dual English/Metric -

To confirm its a dual English/Metric -- set it to english - and watch the speed - then set to metric and go the same speed - bet the needle is in different places --

36_4.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

Cool, I was hoping that was the case. I wonder if you can just buy the Canadian piece and install it into a US car??

Dadillac, I misunderstood your reply, for some reason I took you saying that "the US cars run to about 160" to mean that they can go ~160mph...

Kale

Dadillac said:

Don
Yup, 160 mph is about 257.5 kph. A 240 kph guage is basically a 150 mph guage.

In kph it will go to 240. In mph, I guess you would gain about 15 mph over the American 145 mph guages.

but there is no 240. it stops at 140 ( us version ). so my point is say i have it in kph mode and i am going 140 kph, and i punch it will the needle not move any more or will it go back around.

lol your still not understanding me...........ok most or all caddys like sts and eldrodos say 140 on the speedo. ( that is the most it goes) so if i was in kph mode and going 140 kph, is that the top speed of the car? my point is it must go faster than 140 KPH but there is no 160 or 180. so does the needle just keep on going passed the 140 mark?

Members online

No members online now.
Back