My 2000 LS (V8 ) wont start

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
First time this has happened. Cranks but wont fire. Parked in the garage last night and went to start today , won't fire. I have an OBD 2 scanner but I don't have any codes because it did this over night while parked. My guess is fuel pump time , or something in the FP circuit . Yes it could be ignition but my guess is fuel.
Any suggestions or common causes?
Thanks

I just noticed a thread well before mine on this. Has a lot of info. I should have searched first , sorry mods. If anyone has anything to add please do.....

Have you checked the fuel cutoff switch on the drivers side leg room on the left there is a panel with a red button

Have you done anything to confirm your guess that this is a fuel problem? Checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Tried spraying some starter fluid in the intake?

My suspicion of the pump , given its age and the fact that my Silverado had the exact same symptom , also given its age. I don't know what in the ign. system would prevent the engine firing given its coil on plug and CPS design.....anyway , after reading where Joe and one other owner smacked the pump to rattle the motor off its "dead spot", I'll be damned if that didn't get it spinning again. The pump sound is "faint" but yes you can here it momentarily before ignition. I didn't think to listen when it wouldn't fire initially , but trying again later I didn"t hear it. So after the "wack" I heard it and it fired. I'll replace the pump relay and get another pump , at least a motor anyway ( not Autozone or Advance ) but not Ford either. I have to buy the tool to remove the ring because I'm afraid given the age of all the connectors / retaining rings something might break.

Will I have to release / relieve pressure before disconnecting the lines at the pump? Still waiting on the pump so I haven't tackled this yet.....

Will I have to release / relieve pressure before disconnecting the lines at the pump? Still waiting on the pump so I haven't tackled this yet.....
I've always just thrown a rag over the connections as I am disconnecting them. That's to keep an gasoline from spraying into my eyes or onto something else that I wouldn't want it on. There won't be much gas coming out.

Alternately, you can get the inertia switch while the engine is running or pull the fuel pump fuse (official factory procedure) while the engine is running.

I've always just thrown a rag over the connections as I am disconnecting them. That's to keep an gasoline from spraying into my eyes or onto something else that I wouldn't want it on. There won't be much gas coming out.

Alternately, you can get the inertia switch while the engine is running or pull the fuel pump fuse (official factory procedure) while the engine is running.
Thanks!

I have heard to avoid Airtex for the LS fuel pump, other than that, I don't know.

I had put a delphi fuel pump in my blazer and I drove it for 3 years with no issues then I sold it.. the assembly I dont know but it should be good if the fitment is ok

I had , like an idiot , forgotten to install the new gasket on the pump top before connecting the lines. On the Delphi pump the plastic elbows WILL NOT just release their grip from the sockets on the top....even when squeezing the tabs....I had a hard time installing the larger one just getting it to seat I had to tap it with a small hammer while squeezing. Now that I needed to remove the pump to replaced the gasket I broke the plastic elbow.
Is there a repair for this and if not can I just get a new line and route it to the other side or where ever?

Last edited:
FWIW there is a special tool for those plastic fuel line elbow connectors

FWIW there is a special tool for those plastic fuel line elbow connectors
The problem is , Delphi has made the connection ports slightly smaller than Ford did....so when you install the elbows they are so tight ( in fact they had to be forced in by tapping with a hammer , not THAT hard , just enough to seat the elbow ) you KNOW its going to be damn near impossible to remove them......in fact , I'm here to confirm , you WONT. All I wanted to do was remove the lines just like I did from the original , lift the pump back out and install gasket and re-install the pump. No f'n chance....thanks to the made in China pump. It also didnt fit in the well like its supposed to. More and more its looking like time to get rid of the LS , I hate that , but this may "break the camels back".

The problem is , Delphi has made the connection ports slightly smaller than Ford did....so when you install the elbows they are so tight ( in fact they had to be forced in by tapping with a hammer , not THAT hard , just enough to seat the elbow ) you KNOW its going to be damn near impossible to remove them......in fact , I'm here to confirm , you WONT. All I wanted to do was remove the lines just like I did from the original , lift the pump back out and install gasket and re-install the pump. No f'n chance....thanks to the made in China pump. It also didnt fit in the well like its supposed to. More and more its looking like time to get rid of the LS , I hate that , but this may "break the camels back".
I guess that is always an option...but I'm sure you can solve this with some parts from a Salvaged LS

Go with a Spectra Fuel Pump assembly...never never never ever buy Delphi or Dorman ...straight garbage

Members online

No members online now.
Back