My 2000 Lincoln LS, Problems Already..

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, So I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport About 2 Months ago.

Bought it for 2900$ because it needed a new torque converter.

So replaced that because had a ridiculous racket coming from the bell housing and after got it back, I noticed a taping noise coming from the drivers side top half of the engine.

Did some research found a vid on youtube about a secondary timing chain tensioner. Turns out tensioner was toast.

Bought a new tensioner from the Ford/Lincoln dealer, Replaced it.. Didnt help the noise at all..

I get codes Cyl Number 7 Misfire, Bank 1 lean bank 2 rich.. im like wth?

Replaced the COP on 7.. no luck.. Replaced spark plug.. No luck still same rough idle....

So right now symptoms are Rough idle, and Tapping noise like it is a secondary timing chain tensioner coming from drivers side top half of the engine.

There was a guy earlier on here I saw with almost the exact same problems.

Anyways.. I did a compression test, Compression is good.. I have no idea what the problem would be! My neighbor who use to be a mechanic thinks the timing would be off a tooth because of the tensioner being so bad earlier.. But i was also told timing is controlled by the PCM.
Could the Cam timing/positioning cause this problem?

If anyone has some insight let me know!
Neighbor is taking it back apart This friday to see if we can find out whats wrong with it.

Thank you all!
<3

0326011736.jpg

221705_209947072369860_100000637056408_660539_4160121_n.jpg

The computer controls ignition and fuel injector timing. Valve timing is completely up to the timing chain. If it jumped, the timing will be wrong.

Do you think my problem could be the timing chain jumping a tooth or so because of the bad secondary timing chain tensioner when I bought the car?
The tensioner was so bad that it had worn completely through the nylon and riding on the metal and made groves in the metal holding the rest of the nylon on.

Pull the valve covers and see if the cam flats line up.

you may also want to check the tensioner guide usually those wear out fast and make
that wierd sound .good luck

Alright thanks guys. Hopefully friday Ill have an answer. Hopefully the Tensioner I just replaced didnt break... But thats highly unlikely

Alrighty, So I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport About 2 Months ago.

Bought it for 2900$ because it needed a new torque converter.

So replaced that because had a ridiculous racket coming from the bell housing and after got it back, I noticed a taping noise coming from the drivers side top half of the engine.

Did some research found a vid on youtube about a secondary timing chain tensioner. Turns out tensioner was toast.

Bought a new tensioner from the Ford/Lincoln dealer, Replaced it.. Didnt help the noise at all..

I get codes Cyl Number 7 Misfire, Bank 1 lean bank 2 rich.. im like wth?

Replaced the COP on 7.. no luck.. Replaced spark plug.. No luck still same rough idle....

So right now symptoms are Rough idle, and Tapping noise like it is a secondary timing chain tensioner coming from drivers side top half of the engine.

There was a guy earlier on here I saw with almost the exact same problems.

Anyways.. I did a compression test, Compression is good.. I have no idea what the problem would be! My neighbor who use to be a mechanic thinks the timing would be off a tooth because of the tensioner being so bad earlier.. But i was also told timing is controlled by the PCM.
Could the Cam timing/positioning cause this problem?

If anyone has some insight let me know!
Neighbor is taking it back apart This friday to see if we can find out whats wrong with it.

Thank you all!
<3

Sorry about the issues but it is a nice looking car!

Since you have it open might aswell replace the tensioner of both the primary and secondary chains might as well do the chain aswell while your at it especially since your doing the work yourself.

Well secondary timing chain tensioner on passenger side is fine. Secondary on Drivers side i just replaced.. Its making a noise on the Drivers side Near the tensioner or around cyl number 6 or 7.. No idea... If I dont sell it by this friday then im going to open it back up and take a look on what it might be. And thanks for the Complement on the car..

I love the way it looks, rides.. But the engine in it really makes me very frustrated to the point where i want it to just disappear and me own my old mustang again..

The mechanic did a sh%$Ty job on it for the price he should of handed out all the tensioners if that is all you need then go for it if your doing the job yourself how much does it cost just on parts alone have you looked into that.

The mechanic did a sh%$Ty job on it for the price he should of handed out all the tensioners if that is all you need then go for it if your doing the job yourself how much does it cost just on parts alone have you looked into that.

Thing is tensioners run about 80 to 90$ on Ebay.. But the thing is. Passenger sides tensioner looks new.. So I never replaced it. Drivers side was HORRIBLE like so bad, it ate through the nylon and the chain was working its way through the Metal holding on the nylon.. SO Replaced it.. No help :/

Like i said Hopefully friday or this sat or sun.. I will have it torn apart again to take a 3rd look lol..

Update : Sometimes the Noise completely goes away.. Such as today and yesterday No Noise at all.. Couldnt make it either.. Drove it hard to see if itd do it.. Then drove it soft to see if it would make it after low load on engine.. Idk.. Its so weird.. Somedays its loud as hell.. others its so soft or no noise at all.. WHAT COULD THIS BE!

No Noise today or yesterday.. But still rough idle regardless

Update : Today took apart the engine.. Indeed the Exhaust cam was off a tooth. Lined em back up.. Rough Idle is gone!! Problem is.. Noise is back? There was no noise at the beginning of the breakdown but afterwords its back.. Maybe the oil in the Secondary timing chain tensioner had to be built up again? because in order to decompress it we had to take out the oil.. Maybe that the issue.. Hopefully in a day or so itll go away..

We will see

Check your fuel injection connectors. I had the same codes and rough idle until I found 2 connectors pulled out (barely). Not noticeable to the eye. I took a long screwdriver and carefully pushed in on the 2 cylinders (injector connections) that were throwing the codes, with the engine running and the engine smoothed right out. The tapping noise you are hearing could also be an injector. I've been told that these injectors rarely fail but on a different car a bad injector sounded just like a collapsed lifter.

The idle is fixed. Its just the noise now.

The Idle and misfire and rich and lean was due to exhaust cam timing being off a tooth.

Now the noise is back.. :/ sounds like its the tensioner. Maybe the primary chain is hitting the tensioner.. have to take it back apart tomorrow.. But on the bright side.. it runs so much better

Tensioner issues resolution?

The idle is fixed. Its just the noise now.

The Idle and misfire and rich and lean was due to exhaust cam timing being off a tooth.

Now the noise is back.. :/ sounds like its the tensioner. Maybe the primary chain is hitting the tensioner.. have to take it back apart ?tomorrow.. But on the bright side.. it runs so much better

I was wondering what ever happened with your LS? I replaced my drivers side tensioner 3 weeks ago. I got the cam timing fixed before putting it back together but it still ran rough for the first few 3-4 minutes of running for 3-4 days. Then it ran great. Thought maybe check valve on tensioner was sticking? A couple of weeks and 400-500 miles later, the passenger side failed. Replaced that one as well, fixed timing, but now 5 days later the drivers side is noisy again. Not sure what to think? Did I get a defective part? Definitely the chain slapping the valve cover, can hear it very loud with stethoscope. Going to have to tear it apart again. Did I get a bad part or do I need to replace the chain as well?

Curious as to what you found on yours.

Advice?

Travis2000LS hasn't been here since 2012.

Did you replace the timing chains? The chains were very likely stretched when the tensioners failed.

I haven't but that was my next move. Kind of think my tensioner is broken now again, chain noise is loud. Think I might take the day off tomorrow and rip into it again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back