My '06 died yesterday

HerbieTheMisfit

LVC Member
Reaction score
Was driving home from work yesterday doing about 50mph on the highway when the car just suddenly shut off. No warnings of any kind - just cut out completely. Pulled over and tried to start it again. It starts, but runs very rough and only for about 2 seconds. :(

Called "roadside assistance" and eventually get to a human being. She tells me she can't call me a tow truck right now because of the "overwhelming volume of calls from the East coast". I tell her I'm not on the East coast - doesn't matter. Fine, just connect me with the local dealer. So much for the famed Lincoln service...

I get it towed to the dealer and they give me a Focus wagon - yipee... Waiting to hear from them today. I did a little searching and a few have had similar problems and they've either been fuel pump/filter related or something called the "Rear Electronic Module" (REM). Any other thoughts? It has been really cold here in Wisconsin the past few days (below zero) but yesterday was warmer than it has been in about a week (+10) so I don't suspect something related to the cold. I had been driving the car on the hiway for about 25 min when this happened so it was at operating temperature for a while.

Jim Steffl
'06 LS - Vived Red
'04 Escape
'95 SHO (dead)
'67 Galaxie Convert
Watertown, WI

Ouch! how many miles did you have on it? It could be that coil problem everyone talks about. Hopefully it's just that and nothing worse.

yeah, unfortuneatly the LS's have coil problems, valve cover gasket leaks, and other things everyone gets but ford neglects to put on recall.

Oh that sucks! Please keep us updated with what they find out.

Sounds like a fuel/jet pump problem. As for a recall, Ford won't issue a recall since those things mentioned are NOT safety related.

Oil dripping on to the exhaust and me breathing it in my car is not safety related? Or does the cabin air filter catch that?

I doubt it's a coil. Even if it were a coil that suddenly dropped completely dead, the other 7 coils would keep the engine running

As far as the smell of burning oil being a safety issue? In short, uh...No. Granted I'd personally love for Ford to have issued the recall, but to call it a safety issue is a stretch at best.

Thinking about it more I wonder if it is fuel related. I'm thinking either fuel filter or the pump between the tanks (jet?). It was right around a half-tank of fuel when it died.

They still haven't looked at it as of 1:00.

Talked to the stealer this morning. Apparently a fuse for the fuel system was blown. They replaced said fuse but now it is throwing a code for the fuel pump. Those were the service guy's words.

I had this exact problem happen in my first 00 LS about 6 years ago, it was freezing cold out, I filled up my car at the pump got back in to start it and nothing, ended up with a blown fuse and fuel pump replacement. Funny this hasnt been addressed over the last 6 years since the car has been out.

I'm surprised that Ford hasn't issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for it. I didn't see one listed on Alldata.com. However, if the fuel pump is bad make sure they replace both the fuel pump AND the jet pump.

Service dept says that the electronics that control the fuel pumps need to be replaced. From my searches I think that is part of the Rear Electronic Module (REM). They had to order it so it won't be until next week. They are also replacing both fuel pumps.

BTW, I'm not at all impressed with the Focus they gave me. Seems very cheap. A lot of road and wind noise. All the dash and controls look and feel chincy. Maybe I just miss my LS. On the bright side, e-brake power stands are fun...

My good buddy has an SVT Focus, it's pretty nice for a 4 cylinder. When I first started looking into a new car I almost got an SVT Contour! But I couldn't find any with low miles and I found my LS for pretty cheap with pretty decent miles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back