My 03 LS cooling fan not working

Oilslick00

LVC Member
Reaction score
I do not get any voltage to the main 2 large wires on the large plug. i do have voltage on the blue white signal wire on the small second plug. Fuses seem fine but if anyone tell me if the fan will just run straight from battery power just to see if fan is still functional. Also maybe I've missed a fuse or relay? before I say what fuses I've checked could someone verify for me those fuses. Or if theres a relay which one it is. It has been working till I replaced a starter and an alternator which actually were OEM. Or tell me how to verify the fan motor is actually blown. Thanking all in advance Harry.

Clearly, the fan fuse is blown if you don't have power on the big power wire. The fan fuse is under the carpet on the front passenger side at the firewall.
The fan has a failsafe mode that will trigger if you have power at the power wire and the control wire (blue/white), but the PCM is off. In failsafe, it will go to full speed.

I'm going to dig it out now. I've been round and round with this issue. Thanks Ill let you know what happens.

Clearly, the fan fuse is blown if you don't have power on the big power wire. The fan fuse is under the carpet on the front passenger side at the firewall.
The fan has a failsafe mode that will trigger if you have power at the power wire and the control wire (blue/white), but the PCM is off. In failsafe, it will go to full speed.
I've checked all fuses in the junction box on passenger side. there is a red wire that connects to the red yellow wire of the fan. the red wire does not have any power to it's connector. they 2003 service manual shows a 60 amp inline fuse but doesn't give me an exact or even close location. I opened the carpet up at the floor, and saw the fan wire connected to the solid red wire. the red wire continues into the fuse block where on of the SSP connectors is. There is located above on the firewall a 12.5 volt bolt where I thought of connecting the red yellow fan wire. the service manual shows a constant 12 volt source. I'd really like to find the 60 amp fuse fix it and be done. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

The fuse is right where I said it was. Maybe you aren't recognizing it?
Does this help?

1698072810890.png

Found it can't get it open so going to call dealer to see if they have one or can get one. However I am open to suggestions. again Thank you.

I did a quick look and I don't see it in Ford's catalog any more. Jaguar may still supply them. Otherwise, there's something like this: www.amazon.com/WindyNation-ANL-Fuse-Holder-2pcs/dp/B079ZLF1V4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=VWWEETDN05SJ&keywords=60a%2Binline%2Bfuse&qid=1698084702&sprefix=60A%2B%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-8&th=1
Looks like that's what I need. It was a bear getting it out. they had it wrapped in tape and double on the wire length. It was way down below and almost underneath the junction box. took me at least 20 minutes of grappling with it. I must be a true LS man. Cause all of the electrical issues, PCM, instrument cluster changeouts, research, and purchase all of the original shop manuals has taken me 2 years to finally get it to where I may trust it for a long ride. Anyway thanks again for your help.

I have replaced a 60 amp fuse under the carpet to get the cooling fan on. the fan now has 12+ volts to it constant. How ever it is still not coming on. As for the second connector, the small wire connector, it has 12+ volts to the red wire and 0 volts to the white blue wire. temp got to 222, fan did not come on. the fan was replaced with another fan from parts yard, it may be bad but how to check it? again any help is appreciated.

If I jumper the power wire of the small red wire to the blue white wire on the fan side it comes on, so if it's in failsafe mode how do I get it out of failsafe mode?

If I jumper the power wire of the small red wire to the blue white wire on the fan side it comes on, so if it's in failsafe mode how do I get it out of failsafe mode?
I don't see a blue/white wire. What are the four wire colors you have. Is your PCM powered when you do this test? Why isn't there power on the controller power wire if the PCM is powered? (Key in run position)

Well, I'm color blind and was guessing on the stripped wire. I have the two, two wire connection type. So, here goes, If I jumper the solid power wire of the small 2 wire connector on the PCM side, to the small striped wire on the small connector on the fan side with key off, not in run mode it doesn't come on. BUT if I turn key to run in this same configuration the fan comes on. I an even start car and fan runs, but at high speed. If it is in factory connection the red wire of the small connector does have power, 12+ volts, but no power to the striped on either the PCM side or fan side. running the car starts to go to 222 degrees and no fan comes on.

Well, I'm color blind and was guessing on the stripped wire. I have the two, two wire connection type. So, here goes, If I jumper the solid power wire of the small 2 wire connector on the PCM side, to the small striped wire on the small connector on the fan side with key off, not in run mode it doesn't come on. BUT if I turn key to run in this same configuration the fan comes on. I an even start car and fan runs, but at high speed. If it is in factory connection the red wire of the small connector does have power, 12+ volts, but no power to the striped on either the PCM side or fan side. running the car starts to go to 222 degrees and no fan comes on.
Jumping the wires seems to turn it into a type of universal fan, although it runs constantly it will cool.

The way it works is:
Power on Green/Yellow and no signal on White/Black = fail safe - full speed
Power on Green/Yellow and signal on White/Black = PCM control of fan speed, including off
No power on green/Yellow = no fan.

With the key in the run position, do you have power on the Green/Yellow wire?
If you do, and the fan is not running, the PCM is specifically telling it not to run.

The way it works is:
Power on Green/Yellow and no signal on White/Black = fail safe - full speed
Power on Green/Yellow and signal on White/Black = PCM control of fan speed, including off
No power on green/Yellow = no fan.

With the key in the run position, do you have power on the Green/Yellow wire?
If you do, and the fan is not running, the PCM is specifically telling it not to run.
I think I have more of a PCM issue. I ran a scan on it and had 16 codes. it's the original PCM and it may have just given up the ghost. I had it cloned by F! so I have an extra one I will probably put in tomorrow. I have Ford's ForScan software and that should help me get things right. By the way I did have power to the green and yellow wire with the key in the run position. Still never came on. I think basically I was just putting the power directly from the green/yellow wire to the black white wire so it would just run. Thanks for your help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back