Mustang 5.0 HELP please

TDUB

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so about a week ago my Mustang 5.0 started bucking under throttle. I figured my plugs and wires needed to be changed so I went ahead and changed them out but no luck. I also ran some injector cleaner but again no cigar. Fuel filter was replaced within the last 1,000 miles. It's worse when taking off the line so I'm guessing it is something fuel related. Once it's up to speed it will still buck from time but it's a lot less severe than on initial acceleration. The harder I throttle it, the worse it is. I searched a couple Mustang forums and found a few related threads but all of them were over 5 years old and the op never got a definitive answer, so I figured I'd try LVC before making a post on a Mustang forum.

Ok so about a week ago my Mustang 5.0 started bucking under throttle. I figured my plugs and wires needed to be changed so I went ahead and changed them out but no luck. I also ran some injector cleaner but again no cigar. Fuel filter was replaced within the last 1,000 miles. It's worse when taking off the line so I'm guessing it is something fuel related. Once it's up to speed it will still buck from time but it's a lot less severe than on initial acceleration. The harder I throttle it, the worse it is. I searched a couple Mustang forums and found a few related threads but all of them were over 5 years old and the op never got a definitive answer, so I figured I'd try LVC before making a post on a Mustang forum.

Fuel pump? Mine went out when I had my car. be sure to run most of the fuel out so you dont have to fight it as much when you drop the tank. Not a bad swap if its needed.

Yeah that's honestly what I'm thinking. I guess it can't really hurt to replace it with a better one even if it's not the cause of the problem. Was yours doing the same thing?

Yeah that's honestly what I'm thinking. I guess it can't really hurt to replace it with a better one even if it's not the cause of the problem. Was yours doing the same thing?

Actually mine crapped out while I was driving it.

Good find. I was thinking MAF sensor when you said bucking under throttle. What year 5.0 you have?

It's a 92 GT. The car completely died on me before I replaced the distributor, it lost complete power in the middle of an intersection and needed to be towed home. Before it died I replaced the cap and rotor. Afterward, we replaced the distributor, ignition module, and coil. That finally gave us spark but now it's not getting fuel for some reason. I replaced the fuel pump relay but that didn't do the trick either. I honestly have no idea what it is at this point.

Whats the fuel pressure at the rail?
You need to figure out if its fuel related first.
Your new plugs wet with gas?
I kinda doubt its fuel because I am guessing it lost spark that's why you replaced the distributor, ignition module, and coil.
Double check your firing order.

Members online

No members online now.
Back