Must have garage tools?

Nysbadmk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
I already have Mig/tig, 2 post lift, oil drains , tranny jack, jacks of all kinds, Lots of air tools, 7.5hp 80g compressor, 1000 piece craftmans tool set, plus the tools i already have, eastwood pro powder coat system, lots of detailing tools, bench grinder, 2hp buffer, etc. etc.

What else do you think is a must have tool?

Best garage tool you can get is a fat wallet so some other person can be paid to work on your car. I'm just way past worrying about it myself anymore. I work on computers, I pay others to work on engines. :Beer

High quality torque wrenches.

Bead/Sand blaster is always handy.

So is a part degreaser/solvent station.

IR Heat gun. Point at an object, and it tells you the temp.

Engine scope. As in, it's a L O N G microscope type thing. Will easily go into spark plug holes to see piston, walls, etc. Can snake it into many places. Handy when you need it and not stupid expensive.

Absorbant matt. These can be purchased at industrial places. Can hold so many oil spills/fluid spills, and keeps the garage floor mint and fluid free.

Car casters. Put one under each wheel, and you can wheel the car around with one hand. Especially good for a car that has no engine in it, and can't otherwise be moved. Fairly cheap too.

If you get a lift that's high enough, get an oil change pan with it's own lift to reach up as high as the car's drain pan.

Fluid cans. Use the big size. Red for gasoline. Green for Coolant. Yellow for etc...etc..Keep em full and ready to go. Avoids clutter.

Fire extenguisers. The big kind with the nozzle if you have the $$$ One every few feet in the garage will help keep it safe case of fire. A big first aid kit too is needed...in case!!

Drill press.

Refrigerator stocked with your favorite beer -- you missed that very importnt piece of equipment, no garage should be without.

Nysbadmk8 said:
I already have Mig/tig, 2 post lift, oil drains , tranny jack, jacks of all kinds, Lots of air tools, 7.5hp 80g compressor, 1000 piece craftmans tool set, plus the tools i already have, eastwood pro powder coat system, lots of detailing tools, bench grinder, 2hp buffer, etc. etc.

What else do you think is a must have tool?

I wish you were close by, with all those tools you could save me thousands! But I bet you probably spent that much on all that you have.

Ron, im going to have everything there that you mentioned except the engine scope? whats the usefull purpose of that?

The lift will be a full rise unit, i already have the 18g oil drain with telescopeing funnel, the drill press will be a maybe dicision, dont know what brand to go with, i got a set of "go-jacks" so im set there, i got sk tourqe wrenchs, and i had a full foam fire retarding system installed in the whole garage, the fire sensors pick up heat over 275 degrees it blasts out 300g of fire retarding foam over 2 minutes. ( that system alone dropped my insurence bye 34%) And cost me my other arm.

Im going to have a 28g "gas caddy" for handling feuling of yard equipment, yellow cans are for diesel, i wont need those. Coolant is an issue for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

What about a Pro-Cut 9.0 brake disc lathe, fully automatic and leaves a mirror finish.

I got one in my workshop :)

Regards

Dereck

We just got this, the Hunter PC-3500-SS:

main.jpg

and this, the Hunter DSP-7701-D:

A3551T16.jpg

It mounts and balances up to 24 inch rims.

Pete,

I've used one before for looking into an engine cylinder to see if there was any damage. Nifty. Knew my cylinders were OK, and in no need of a head pull to check.

ONEBADMK8 said:
We just got this, the Hunter PC-3500-SS:

main.jpg

and this, the Hunter DSP-7701-D:

A3551T16.jpg

It mounts and balances up to 24 inch rims.

I would love to have one of those. It would save us a lot of money in the long run and headaches for jobs poorly done for mounting and/or balancing.

felo3769 said:
I would love to have one of those. It would save us a lot of money in the long run and headaches for jobs poorly done for mounting and/or balancing.

Yeah the Hunter stuff is truly amazing. We just got done our training session with it. It's unreal.

Well i really dont have a need for cutting disc brakes, or mounting and balanceing tires in my garage, But the tought has come across once in awhile. But i think ill use that money for project car parts.

always good to have extra sets of wrenchs and sockets so friends that are over helping dont have to wait for you to finish with the tool

Members online

No members online now.
Back