Multiple Amps

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to run multiple amps. It seems stupide to run a 1/0 wire with a fuse directly off the battery into a distributor block in the trunk with individual fuses for each amp. I was told that its best to have the fuses as close to the power source as possible. Well, if I split the power in the trunk that defeats the purpose. Having a fuse off the battery is stupid too because it'll be large so if one amp happens to draw more current then it should (assuming there is no fuses in the trunk for each individual amp) it'll never blow.

I think that the best way is to just have a 1/0 wire going to the trunk with a distributor block with individual fuses for each amp. But again the fuse is suppose to be as close to the source as possible. Am I making a big deal out of this, is it making any sense?

It sounds like you are making a big deal out of this, depending on the number, and size, of the amps. You better be pushing some major power to need 1 gauge wire, and you will need a bigger battery and alternator to support the power you would need to be drawing to warrant it. It is best to have a fuse close to the battery, regardless of what else you are going to do to the circuit. A distribution block near the amps is fine, and fused distribution block is even better. But like I said, all of this depends on the amount of power you plan on pushing.

JoshMcMadMac said:
It sounds like you are making a big deal out of this, depending on the number, and size, of the amps. You better be pushing some major power to need 1 gauge wire, and you will need a bigger battery and alternator to support the power you would need to be drawing to warrant it. It is best to have a fuse close to the battery, regardless of what else you are going to do to the circuit. A distribution block near the amps is fine, and fused distribution block is even better. But like I said, all of this depends on the amount of power you plan on pushing.
I'm just running two amps for a total of 1200 watts. Like I said before, say I have a 200A fuse off the battery and one 60A fuse going to each of the amplifiers. There's no sense in having the main fuse because the amplifier fuses would blow before the main did. Even if I had a 100A fuse for the main the amplifiers would have to get damn near close to 50A each before it would blow. I'm just wondering the justification for the main fuse because essentially both amps would have be drawing more than it normally would in order to blow the fuse. The chances of both acting up at the same time isn't realistic, its possible though. However fuses at both amps should suffice.

You really don't need all that heavy wire. I've got 1800watts, and it's coming off of 4 gauge. You don't need the main fuse, but it is still a good idea to have. It is easy to think that things will work one way, but electricity can do some crazy things. Just my 2¢

The justification for the main fuse is if the power cable somehow touches ground, it will weld itself to the body and start fires and melt your car. The fuse will stop that.

CaptainZilog said:
The justification for the main fuse is if the power cable somehow touches ground, it will weld itself to the body and start fires and melt your car. The fuse will stop that.
if you are looking to push 1200 or more watts run the big guage wire from battery into big fuse then out of big fuse to trunk to a capacitor(optional) then to a dist box out with fuses to your amps. this is best and safest way to run the wires. i would also run a similar setup for the ground as you do not want 1800 wats of power hunting for ground and burn up your amps. but thats just my way of doing it. the wire is cheaper than the amp is.
Eric

You must have the main fuse within 18" of any battery in car, I added a second battery for my stereo. I used circuit breakers. I needed 1 18" from the battery up front, then there is also 1 18" from the battery in back. The battery in back then has a wire ran to a fuse block that distributes power to the various amps (I use 60 and 80 amp fuses depending on the amp). I ran 0gauge wire.

The fuses that are 18" from the battery are to protect it and your electrical system in the car from a surge. Its alot of protection but if your doin it right its needed.

Members online

Back