muffler question/advise

ponyboy88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So i've had the car for a few weeks and well, id hate to say it but not hearing the engine is just annoying. Not looking for anything too loud, just doing mufflers right now, i know i wont see any power gains...

was wondering if anyone had tried the Loudmouth II mufflers from SLP, i hear they are much more mundane then the originals? any other suggestions?

i'm keeping away from flow master (especially with the automatic), deeper the better, quiet enough that crawling up the driveway at 1 am wont piss off the land lord

Magnaflow or Walker Dynomax, not sure where in NY you are, but if you need to have them installed contact me.

long island, and the eastern part. Bit of a drive for mufflers,

I know the standard loudmouths are loud, i heard the II's were much better, maybe i heard wrong.

I despise the day I changed my exhaust to the 2.5" and added mufflers. I like stealth better

I despise the day I changed my exhaust to the 2.5" and added mufflers. I like stealth better

yes i like sleepers too, but well...im bored with the sound already. Ive only ever driven things that i could hear the motor, and it unnerves me that i can walk up to my car and the only hint that it is running is the slight white smoke out of its tail pipes/

I like my magnaflow. Its quiet at idle and once you get on it a little it gets loud enough for everyone to hear. Not even close to as loud as my straight piped 95 though. That would piss off the land lord lol.

considering hacking off the back mufflers and seeing how it souonds, then putting on of those magnaflow tru-x mufflers in place of my x-pipe (LSC) if it is too loud for my taste.

Has anyone run something similar?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8030

I had a similar muffler with a built in x-pipe and no rear mufflers and no cats, sounded like a 69 big block Camaro, was waaaay to loud, I then put 2 rear mufflers back on and it was perfect. Remember that is with no cats though, if you keep the cats the mid muffler alone with an additional x-pipe should sound really nice.

Here are a few ways you can go;

1) Get the longest dual in/out muffler with x-pipe built in and no rear mufflers, still with cats, should sound nice, be aware may have drone, or add a second X-pipe to cut it down some

2) Get the smallest dual in/out muffler and 2 rear mufflers, should have a nice sound, a little quieter, will notice when you are getting on it.

Here is the difference in the 2 set ups in my LS, just remember that on the 4.6 it will be louder and deeper;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=NickT88LSC&search_type=&aq=f

Also this one of my car without the rear mufflers, again remember the 4.6 will be louder and deeper, I had it both ways on my 94 Mark VIII also, dont have any clips though, wich I did

YouTube- NickT 2002 LS Magnaflow exhaust

i cut my mufflers off the day after i got it. i absolutely love it. definitely noticeable but not obnoxious. when i get the cash i'm going with kooks headers and lms full exhaust. double xxpipe and dual tipped mufflers. no cats;)

As far as i know i have 1 x-pipe crossover since i have an LSC.
Would it be better to replace that x with the magnaflow OR mount the magnaflow after the factory x.

yes you have 3 cats, one on each downpipe, and a single xpipe that doubles as a catalytic converter, although some will argue that it is a resonator.

for starters i would try it with no mufflers. then if its too loud for your liking, put some magnaflows on her. then depending on how you like that sound, you can adjust it by taking that third cat out and replacing it with a normal xpipe or x-muffler (any 2in 2out muffler should work but i think you were talking about a actual xpipe that doubles as a muffler right?).

i wouldnt do the cat first because with stock mufflers it probably wont make much of a difference. i didnt try it on my mark but i know it didnt make a difference on any of my other cars. but once the mufflers are replaced with something a little more... "vocal", the cat makes more of a difference.

hey i think that you can start by replacing that third cat with a magnaflow 2 in 2 out then if is too loud add a set of mufflers of your choice to melow it down lol.

i cut my mufflers off the day after i got it. i absolutely love it. definitely noticeable but not obnoxious. when i get the cash i'm going with kooks headers and lms full exhaust. double xxpipe and dual tipped mufflers. no cats;)

Just my 2 cents but you may want to consider going another route. I have that setup on my car without the headers and I still have 2 cats. The previous owner spent a crap load of money on the exhaust and it sounds like azz. It drones like hell at the common cruise speeds 40, 65, etc. Also the "stainless steel" mufflers are already rusting out after less than 6 months on the car.

im actually going to be doing a full exhaust with loudmouths once i get some extra cash. i love the loudness and tone of them. i was also maybe considering magnapacks.

Members online

Back