Mounting amp/running wires

Kraze

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So.. I'm going to be hooking up my amp and sub today, and I was wondering where everybody here mounted there aftermarket amp? Also, how did everybody run there power/rca's/ground? I want to make this install look as good as possible, so I don't want any visible wires and I want to figure out a nice place to mount the amp, so I figured I'd ask how everybody else did it.

Thanks

I gutted and modified my rear tray, up under the back "shelf", located in the trunk where the mobile phone, factory amp and stuff are. I took all that out anyway.

The wires are easy to run. Open each door, on top the rocker panel edge is that long "kick plate". Its secured with one screw located near the seat belt retainer at the floor. Remove screw and pull up on that long black plastic strip. once removed, pull back the carpet, all the way. You may have to put the seats in their highest position to get some extra clearance. Once the carpet is back, you will clearly see the plastic channel to run wires. There is extra room for more.

Remove the back seat bottom and back to make it easier to get them into the trunk. Make sure you run power on one side of the car, RCAs on the other.

I would say run the power cable down the drivers side and the RCA and remote down the passenger side. Just get the door step in covers off and pull the carpet back then tuck the wires down in there. Pull the back seat and run them into the truck. As far as where to mount the amp...well its up to you alot of people just mount it on the sub box, but that is not always the best idea. Maybe try and mount it up on the bottom the rear deck like the factory amp.

I ran the power down the drivers side as well as the remote, then the rca's went right down the middle under the rug & console.

Well I think I know how I'll route the wires then, now all that's left is the location of the amp.. I'll check out the rear tray, but I'm keeping my stock amp since that will still be powering the speakers. And mounting it on the sub box wouldn't be good especially since my amp is bigger than my box. The thing is I need to be able to get to the amp easy enough for adjusting it once it's in. If anybody has any pictures of their amp mounted and everything I would appreciate it if they posted it.

Thanks for all the help so far!

I made the rear seats fold down seats for easy access to my amp.
I also have one of my 12's facing into the interior of the car. From the trunks view point I only have one sub andu cant see the amp.

100_1819.jpg

I've had 2 Marks and a '93 Cougar (same platform). For all 3, I've had good luck running the power wire as follows:

-Remove the driver-side inner fender liner.

-Remove the kick panel, carpet, and insulation in the footwell and drill a hole next to where the parking brake cable goes through the firewall.

-Install a grommet so the metal won't cut through the wire.

-Run a thin piece of wire (if you bought a wiring kit, the amp turn-on wire works well) through the hole until you can see it from outside the car.

-From inside the engine bay, you'll see a hole in the fender near the battery. Run the power wire through it.

-Tape the 2 wires together, then use the skinny wire to pull the power cable through the hole you drilled.

-Tape or zip-tie the power wire to the hood release cable (which runs through the inner fender), so it can't flop around and get damaged.

As for the audio cable... Remove the passenger-side kick panel & door sill. Then open the glove box, then press the tabs on the sides and it'll drop down all the way. From there you can run it from the head unit and across the dash.

"I'm keeping my stock amp since that will still be powering the speakers"

So you are not adding an after-market head unit? Just a sub amp? Just want o clarify. The factory amp can easily burn out with an after-market head unit that has a pre-out.

I had to remove the stock amp to make room for my sub box.
Mounted my sub amp/capacitor to the box itself.
I set up an amp to the rear speakers, and another to the front speakers; both which I mounted on the rear deck(by the rear window brake light).

Members online

No members online now.
Back