Most miles on a gen 1 v8

westcoast90

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was curious to see what’s the most original miles anyone has seen or had on their gen 1 v8 ls. I have a 2001 v8 and I am a few clicks from the 270,000 mark. That’s more than I’ve ever heard of and, knock on wood, my baby is still running very strong. It’s got its issues and I cant wait till it’s not my daily driver so I can rebuild and restore the engine but for now I just keep it properly maintained and try to keep it on the road and strong. I love that my 3.9 with 270,000 miles is still able to smoke most every 5.0 mustang I try. Anyway, let me know what’s the most miles you guys have had or seen. Thanks

I'm sure he's talking Fox body. Ain't no way 280-300hp could touch the new 5.0.

Even the new 2.3 Ecoboost puts out 310hp... And 350 lb.- ft of torque.

Too bad that wasn't an option for the LS back on the day.

214,000 on mine... and down right now with ANOTHER coolant leak. :( :rolleyes: :mad:

So all of you guys with your high mileage LS's, what were the major repair items along the way? Mine has 150k now and I'd like to keep it going past 250k. What can I expect based on your experience? I want to at least prepare myself with the necessary tools. Thanks! Rob

So all of you guys with your high mileage LS's, what were the major repair items along the way? Mine has 150k now and I'd like to keep it going past 250k. What can I expect based on your experience? I want to at least prepare myself with the necessary tools. Thanks! Rob

2004 V8 LS: Minor oil leak from the timing cover gasket at around 200K miles. It's now at 230+ K miles and I still haven't fixed it. I did have to change the valve cover gaskets sometime before 200K miles.

2006 V8 LS: Full transmission rebuild at 190K or so miles (clutches were coming apart).

Both: All cooling system plastics replaced two or three times.

My 2002 V8 has 156k.
I have owned the car since December 2008, bought it with 78k on odometer. So far I have replaced valve cover gaskets, plugs, most of the coils, changed from 14mm to 16mm ball joint in front (complete spindle assemblies with hubs and rotors), front and rear upper and lower control arms, front 4 tie rod ends, front end links, right rear brake caliper, all four rotors, all brake pads, two window regulators, starter, drivers side inside door handle, windshield washer pump, drivers side door check, message center, right rear taillight due to crack, battery, and transmission flush at 150k. Just changed the coolant again last December. Currently gathering all the OEM coolant hoses and other parts I need to changed all of the plastic pieces out, likely due this summer.

Last edited:
00 ls V8, just about to kiss 240kms (149k miles). And I got it with 238k. Driven it lots..don't lots of work on it but none due to issues (had a bad coil or 2 and the ATS flashing when I got it) and tbh I am surprised I have not had any issues (knock on wood) seems that all the problem bits were replaced prior to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Members online

No members online now.
Back