Most cost-effetcive thing for Gen1 light prob?

NJack2AF

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So what would you guys say the most cost effective method of fixing the lights on the gen1's is? I can't stand it anymore, I really cannot go over 30-40mph unless I'm in a lit up area, it's that bad. I cannot see 10ft in front of the car...

I'm just waiting for a deer to run out in front of me some night :eek: <-my face

Cheapest and most effective...
mounting a set of driving lights behind the grill.

but it's still not as good as real headlights.

deff, deff this stuff that comes in a bottle the more you use it the more yellow it takes of, know I admit to make a big difference you will have to rub it in for about 20 minutes
I dont remember the exact name its at discount auto parts for under 8 bucks its a white bottle with a black top the liquid inside is blue, deff. try it really worth it.

I bought brand new headlights including bulbs from my local ford dealership for $400.00. Both sides. If that's too much then I would also say the lights behind the grill. You can also try wetsanding the lenses and polishing them. That might help just a lil bit. The insides will still be burnt though.

Model cars have plastic parts in them that are chromed. I wonder if anyone in the USA does this, maybe we could get the reflectors rechromed.
Raoul

turborich said:
I bought brand new headlights including bulbs from my local ford dealership for $400.00. Both sides. If that's too much then I would also say the lights behind the grill. You can also try wetsanding the lenses and polishing them. That might help just a lil bit. The insides will still be burnt though.

really? thats badda$$ thanx for the info dude!

Marked4Life said:
Model cars have plastic parts in them that are chromed. I wonder if anyone in the USA does this, maybe we could get the reflectors rechromed.
Raoul

Well, me being a classic car owner, I have had to do plastic rechroming quite a few times, mainly for interior parts. Plastic chroming is more than possible and available, but it's quite expensive. Expect to spend as much on plastic chroming as you would on a new set of lights.

However, a new plastic chroming would not wear away like the stock chroming will. This stuff is TOUGH. I've accidentally knocked a few pieces quite hard, and nothing has come to harm from them.

turborich said:

So $400 total? That's not that bad...

Really would rather not mount lights behind the grill...

I wish you could think of what that cleaner is... Is there no way to clean the inside? It actually burns?

NJack2AF said:
So $400 total? That's not that bad...

Really would rather not mount lights behind the grill...

I wish you could think of what that cleaner is... Is there no way to clean the inside? It actually burns?

Yeah I called up Team Ford, they are one of the vendors on here plus they are local here in vegas. They were $400.00 + tax since I picked them up.
The inside plastic chrome is what burns away due to the bulbs being a high beam bulb (9005) both the lights, low and high beams use the same bulb. Just a poor design that ford should have fixed. cleaning the lense might help a bit though, you can use blue magic, wet sanding and polishing with a jewlers rouge, etc. good luck. I wanted the HID's but wasn't going to spend nearly $1,000 bucks on an older car.

I'm almost 100% against this idea, but if you MUST go with those housings, an HID kit might not be a bad idea, because HID bulbs run alot cooler.

But again, I HIGHLY recommend just getting an OEM HID kit.

Dominus said:
I'm almost 100% against this idea, but if you MUST go with those housings, an HID kit might not be a bad idea, because HID bulbs run alot cooler.

But again, I HIGHLY recommend just getting an OEM HID kit.

Got a link?

NJack2AF said:
Got a link?

Here is a quote on the Ford OEM HID for the 1995-96 models.

HID style
F6LZ-13008-AE List $829.55 Inet $617.68 LVC SPECIAL $525.00
F6LZ-13008-AD List $829.55 Inet $617.68 LVC SPECIAL $525.00

Regular style
F3LY-13008-A List $278.85 Inet $207.63
F3LY-13008-B List $278.85 Inet $207.63
If ordered as a pair, knock off $50.00 total.

FREE SHIPPING!!!!

turborich said:
Yeah I called up Team Ford, they are one of the vendors on here plus they are local here in vegas. They were $400.00 + tax since I picked them up.
The inside plastic chrome is what burns away due to the bulbs being a high beam bulb (9005) both the lights, low and high beams use the same bulb. Just a poor design that ford should have fixed. cleaning the lense might help a bit though, you can use blue magic, wet sanding and polishing with a jewlers rouge, etc. good luck. I wanted the HID's but wasn't going to spend nearly $1,000 bucks on an older car.

did you notice a huge difference in lighting quality? i mean, my lights aren't horrible, but they are pretty bad - if i am going to spend 400 dollars, I want a noticeable improvement.

67Continental said:
did you notice a huge difference in lighting quality? i mean, my lights aren't horrible, but they are pretty bad - if i am going to spend 400 dollars, I want a noticeable improvement.

Yep, The whole road lights up as it should, I keep my automatic light thingy turned off. A lot of marks will automaticly turn the lights on durring the day. This will burn them up a lot faster. The new lights work well.

no matter how much you polish the plastic you will not notice any improvement because the reflective material on the inside of the housing is burned off. If there is one thing about these cars that puts me in a fighting mood, it's the damn headlight BS, and now no replacement bulbs for the HID's.
what kind of crock of sh!t is that??????:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JC1994 said:
no matter how much you polish the plastic you will not notice any improvement because the reflective material on the inside of the housing is burned off. If there is one thing about these cars that puts me in a fighting mood, it's the damn headlight BS, and now no replacement bulbs for the HID's.
what kind of crock of sh!t is that??????:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
YEP!!! total BS! I agree!!!

TeamFord said:

HID style

Regular style

FREE SHIPPING!!!!

And this right here folks is WELL WORTH IT!

absolutely cheepest thing...drive with high beams..

hell i dont even notice i dont have crappy lights anymore. if theres anyone comming at me, its like not having them on anyways.

TeamFord said:

HID style

Regular style

FREE SHIPPING!!!!

So I can get a new set of the regulars sent to my door for 365 ish? If so I'm going to do that...

I drove with the high beams for a while which worked pretty well, people didn't even notice... Now I have no high beams because my alt burned them up when it went nutty :(

NJack2AF said:
So I can get a new set of the regulars sent to my door for 365 ish? If so I'm going to do that...

I drove with the high beams for a while which worked pretty well, people didn't even notice... Now I have no high beams because my alt burned them up when it went nutty :(

Let me make a couple of call, if things go right I will do it for $365 shipped.

i was thinking of wiring the beams, and the running lights together so all 4 bulbs would be burning at the same time. i also want to test this before anyone else does, cuz i have a parts car so when i melt either the headlight lenses, or the wiring, then i have a backup.lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back