More power, better sound.....

escaladechas

New LVC Member
Reaction score

I own a 1998 Deville Concours. There's not too many go-fast goodies out there for us, so check this out if you want a better sound from under the hood, more power, and ( I suppose ) better mileage.

1. Remove the factory airbox top, and cut out all the baffles. I did this with a dremel. -Be careful of the temp. probe, just unhook it for now, and re-install later, after the chopping is done.
If you're really talented, and brave, remove the lower assembly too. ( -Be careful, the computer is in there! ) Next permanently remove the factory "snorkel/silencer". It's an oval horn shaped object that sits between the airbox assembly and the front of the car. -This also restricts airflow.
2. Install a K & N panel filter.
3. Remove the MAF ( Mass Air Flow Meter ) from the throttle body, and remove the screen. -Major air restiction! Be very careful of the electronics, you really don't want to replace them if you don't have to. To remove the screen, use needlenose pliers, and just rip the screen out.
4. Spray out throttle body with Air intake/throttle body cleaner.
5. Clean up all the parts well, and re-install.

I did this to mine, and it sounds much better, and really jumps when you hit the accelerator. These are tried and true tricks, that I did on both my 5.0 Mustangs, and just applied them to the Cadillac Motor. If done correctly, the car will perform much better, and won't throw any warning lights.

Anybody else have any performance mod's?

Screwing around with the intake system is risky. When you say MAF meter is it removed to avoid TCs? I'm curious because with your intake modd, the assemblies removed and the K&N filter aren't you worried about how much more dirt might be getting into the engine? As far as your removing the screen. There has been countless battles about the turbanator/tornado being a waste of money based on the fact that the screen straighted out the air after it passed through the turbanator/tornado. It was stated that the theory was sound even if the product wasn't. So with the screen ripped out I was also curious if your intake modd will improve with a turbanator/tornado? What do you think? I also would like to see pictures if you can post them. I have promised to post pictures and still have yet to deliver on another thread. Thanks.

Yes, the turbonator/tornado is a scam, for people that really don't know any better.
As far as modifying the intake system, the K & N picks up all the dirt and grime that is thrown at it. When you install them, or clean them, there is a pink oil you spray it with. If you think about it, an engine is really just a big air pump. More air equals more power. The factory installs those gauze airfilters, to be overly cautious, and to quiet down the motors. Just like they set the timing back to a more than safe setting. They do it because they're worried about warrenty work, that costs them money.
Your air filter intake, if it's like mine, is behind the headlight. that's pretty well buried if you ask me. What could possibly get up there, other than air?
The k & N's just flow more air, and are less restrictive. If you ask any hot-rodder, anywhere in the world, what air filter they have, 99% of them will say it's a k & N.
As far as removing the stupid little screen in the MAF, it's just another flow restriction, and cautious step on the manufacturer's part. Turbulent air? Sure, on a 1000hp supercharged indy car or something, it probably is a factor, but for a daily driver, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
My experience is from 5.0 Mustangs, and trucks. I was in a local 5.0 Mustang club for years. The very first mod any of us did, was a big K & N filter, and a bigger MAF and throttle body. The bigger, performance MAF meters, are just larger in diameter, and NONE of them ever had a screen. Take a look at the C&L performance website, and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, for Cadillacs, we are very limited, there really isn't an aftermarket to soup them up. I really wish I could get a larger one, and a throttle body to match. There are some pieces out there for the newer DeVille's, but i'm not sure if they'll match up or not.
Try also searching for aftermarket performance parts for the CTS-V, or the Escalade, and you'll see where some of these parts are available for them.
In our local Mustang club, we all did these modifications, and more, and no problems. Both of my Mustangs, and Trucks, I have driven at least 100,000 miles with the mod's. My winter ride, a ford truck, has these mod's and she's at 168,000 miles.
If your worried, or inexperienced, don't do it. Find where the hot-rodders in your town hang out, or go to a car show, and ask questions. People love to brag about their rides, and pass on advice. That's why I wrote this column. I'm probably the only person in the world without a digital camera, so when I get the pic's developed, i'll try posting them. Good Luck!
-EscaldeChas

Yes I'm also have experience with the 5.0 but it was with my 92T-bird Sport. BTW there is a larger TB available for the N* bored to 80mm I believe. I have one as well as CadillacETC1997. The questions I ask is only due to the advise of one of the engine developers as well as cadillacowners.com/forums. There has be a study on certain air filters such as K&N and the results show that the K&N filter is more restrictive and allows more dirt into the engine other than the stock AC-DELCO air filter. I will try and find the link so you can read it but mind you I just don't read anything and decide its the right thing. There is a thread in the Eldo forum called Need More Horses that you will find interesting. There is also another member rocket5979 who like you insist that the factory engineer did what they could to make a reliable vehicle that is impressive but left out a few performance modds that could have been added if they were'nt trying to build a daily driver.

k&n does SHYT for the N*, NOTHING oh yea except create a loss in low end torque. People have dynoed their cars with and without one and with one you gain 1 hp yes 1 and you lose almost 7 lbs of torque. Now is it worth it? HELL NO we drive boats especially yours, hell mines a Z and has no gov yours does so you have even less need for more top end hp. Your claims are just seat of your paint bull that you get from the LOUDER sound. Want more sound? Do this
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=770660775
I MADE THAT and guess what it dynoed in at a 10 hp increase an ACTUAL increase with sound. How much did that cost? 180 bucks and 80 of that was for the damn tips. How much did you get raped for a filter 70 no 80 (not to mention how much youll spend on a new MAF when you oil the hell outta that) and you LOST power, but hey it SOUNDS cool! The 5.0 mustang isnt even comparable to the 4.6 N*, ones pushrod others dohc. Ones rear wheel straight, the others sideways front wheel. Your compairing apples to oranges when you say, oh i did this on my 5.0 Stang and it showed improvment so it must on a Caddy as well. I have a K&N, two of them in my trans am, work for it YES the caddy NO! You really have no idea where the weak point are on the N* and taking away low end torque on a 4000 lbs car isnt gonna gain you ANYTHING

oh and last time i checked stock for stock a iroc z will spank the paints off a mustang hell even an 80s cobra....
and look at what my truly modded ETC did to a 5.7 Iroc in the 2nd race...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=854281950

so how about u get your k&n and match it againts my ETC which really opened up most of the bottle necks in the N* power and well see who knows and what does more for a N*

ALBUNDY:
That's a great thread! Rocket obviously knows cars inside and out. I agree with what he wrote, word for word!
I did see the 80mm MAF, and an 80mm Throttle body, but the ads stated that they were for the 2000 and up northstars. It looked like the MAF would bolt right up, but the t-body mounting looked different. I didn't want to just order it up, and not have it fit. Sometimes it's tricky to return auto parts. I just did my mods, that I knew would work, based on past performance. In my experience, an engine is an engine....
Thanks for sharing the thread!

escaladechas said:
ALBUNDY:
That's a great thread! Rocket obviously knows cars inside and out. I agree with what he wrote, word for word!
I did see the 80mm MAF, and an 80mm Throttle body, but the ads stated that they were for the 2000 and up northstars. It looked like the MAF would bolt right up, but the t-body mounting looked different. I didn't want to just order it up, and not have it fit. Sometimes it's tricky to return auto parts. I just did my mods, that I knew would work, based on past performance. In my experience, an engine is an engine....
Thanks for sharing the thread!

I'll pm you some info on the TB.

Members online

No members online now.
Back