Moonroof replacement pictorial - Gen II - 1998 LSC

twinbopilot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This pictorial was created to assist the second generation (1997-1998) Mark VIII owner in replacing his or her inoperative factory installed moonroof.

Moonroof's are identical in all 1997-1998 Mark VIII and Thunderbird models. In fact the replacement moonroof assembly being installed here was pulled from a 1997 Tbird in a salvage yard for $50. Prior years will not fit!

This job involves removing and reinstalling the headliner, which is not really as hard as you think. The job can be done by one person but a helper would come in handy at various points.

For purposes of this example, the entire moonroof including rack, glass, and motor are being replaced all at one time, as one unit. They are considered to be the "moonroof assembly".

Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
10mm socket and ratchet with one extension
Battery screwdriver comes in handy but by no means required
Needle nose pliers or similar

TO BEGIN:
1. Remove the moonroof motor cover located in the center above the rear seat. It has two plastic black trim plugs that pull out downwards in the front then it pivots down from the rear for removal. Now remove the two round plastic headliner trim plugs on either side of the hole you just opened up. You may have to use the needle nose pliers to get them off. They will come off, but you have to work them back and forth as you pull down on them. If you aren't too hard on them during removal, you can get away with reinstalling them instead of putting in new ones.

Photo shows cover and trim plugs removed:
4164849641_2ccc84d0c2_b.jpg

2. Remove both driver's and passenger's plastic a-pillar covers. These run from beside the front windshield next to the dash to over the doors. Notice above each door where this trim piece goes over the rear wall trim piece and stops. This is the best place to begin popping them out. They are held only by clips that are designed to go on and off without damage so if you are reasonably careful you shouldn't have too much trouble. Note the thick rubber seal that they're tucked in behind - you'll need to be sure you tuck them back in when you re-install.
4164923339_2fbfa5631b_b.jpg

4165681832_2d76565f55_b.jpg

3. Remove the passenger side exit assist handle from the ceiling. While pulling it down, note the two plastic covers underneath where the handle is fastened to the ceiling. Pop these from the bottom, (side nearer your hand when you hold the handle). Phillips head screws underneath should remove easily.

Here's the handle being held down with the covers still on the screws:
4165659802_b61f15c619_b.jpg

4. Remove the passenger sunvisor by removing the two philips screws in its base. It will come down with a wire on a pigtail attached. Disconnect the wire and place the visor aside. Remove the plastic visor stop opposite the base that you just removed. It has an uncovered philips screw hidden on the windshield side.
4164921963_9a178275da_b.jpg

5. Remove the black face trim on the moonroof control/reading light panel to expose two phillips screws. Remove these screws and let the unit dangle. When it comes time to remove the headliner, you'll push the light through the hole.
4165680470_de7dcaa4d2_b.jpg

4165682668_a478c27185_b.jpg

6. Remove the driver's visor and visor stop as in #4 above.

7. Remove the rubber seal from the moonroof opening. Begin in one area and pull slowly. There is some glue but it will not keep you from removing the seal.
4164922947_282be15d3b_b.jpg

8. The headliner is almost ready to come out. Pull the headliner away from the body of the car around the moonroof opening where you just removed the rubber seal. There is some weak glue resisting you here, but you should be able to separate the headliner from the car without doing any damage to the headliner. The "glue" is really more like an adhesive spray.

Now the headliner can be removed from the car. Pull it down in the front, carefully feeding the moonroof control panel that you removed earlier through the its opening to free the headliner. Carefully bow the headliner in the rear to separate it from the two rear wall trim pieces, which are at this point the only things holding up the headliner. The headlliner will pull out from under these trim pieces, then you carefully remove the headliner from the car (this is one of the those points where a helper could make things easier). You basically have to "float" it above the seats, rotate it sideways with both doors open, then pull it out the door.

4164932013_88e4cd0ef1_b.jpg

9. Now the moonroof unit is exposed. Disconnect the wiring pigtail in the rear (its the grey connector with the red wiring as shown below).
4164927813_05c10ecf1c_b.jpg

Remove the moonroof assembly. It is held by eight 10mm bolts. Two in the front, and three on each side. There are rubber drain hoses at each corner - be sure to pull them off before you drop the assembly! This is the other point at which a helper may be needed.
Note: The assembly I bought came with a light grey sliding sun shade. My car has a dark gray sun shade so I transferred my old darker shade to the new assembly by bowing it slightly for removal and installation.

4164927413_0c10f4620d_b.jpg

4164924989_35964ae1f9_b.jpg

4164925457_0f9a70c341_b.jpg

10. The new moonroof assembly is ready to be installed. What you remove will look exactly like this too:
4161246133_343c0159ba_b.jpg

Note the moonroof here is in the full up and closed position. As long as it works, the moonroof can be in any position for this installation. Mine fit perfectly without adjustment, but if you need to adjust the fit of the moonroof glass, its held on the track by four torx head screws. There is a plastic trim piece on the side of the track that snaps off and swivels away from the rear. This exposes the torx screws. By loosening, moving, and re-tighening you can get the roof in exactly the right height and position for when its closed.
11. Install the new assembly as the reverse of removal: (It was raining when I did this as you can see)
4165688158_611cdf4083_b.jpg

If there is anything that I could explain better, please let me know.

This job was performed alone from 11pm-1am, outside, 34 degrees, freezing fog and rain using, two large trashbags taped in the middle and draped over the top to keep the rain out, all while taking these pictures.

Now what's your excuse for not doing this job if you need to??? ;)

Best wishes enjoying your Mark VIII!

nice write up twinbopilot! more in depth than fords shop manuals. ive done many moonroofs at work

no prob, wanted to type more but i learned garlic butter plus keyboard = bad keyboard..... took it all apart and cleaned out and reassembled better but shift aint workin, ugh

Great post.
My roof started acting up over the summer, wouldn't open or close evenly.
Got it closed and pulled the fuse so I didn't accidently hit the button searching for the dome light at night. Now I know what I'm in for. Can't be any worse than doing that
blend door actuator Uhhhh.

This pictorial was created to assist the second generation (1997-1998) Mark VIII owner in replacing his or her inoperative factory installed moonroof.

Moonroof's are identical in all 1997-1998 Mark VIII and Thunderbird models. In fact the replacement moonroof assembly being installed here was pulled from a 1997 Tbird in a salvage yard for $50. Prior years will not fit!

This job involves removing and reinstalling the headliner, which is not really as hard as you think. The job can be done by one person but a helper would come in handy at various points.

For purposes of this example, the entire moonroof including rack, glass, and motor are being replaced all at one time, as one unit. They are considered to be the "moonroof assembly".

Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
10mm socket and ratchet with one extension
Battery screwdriver comes in handy but by no means required
Needle nose pliers or similar

TO BEGIN:
1. Remove the moonroof motor cover located in the center above the rear seat. It has two plastic black trim plugs that pull out downwards in the front then it pivots down from the rear for removal. Now remove the two round plastic headliner trim plugs on either side of the hole you just opened up. You may have to use the needle nose pliers to get them off. They will come off, but you have to work them back and forth as you pull down on them. If you aren't too hard on them during removal, you can get away with reinstalling them instead of putting in new ones.

Photo shows cover and trim plugs removed:
4164849641_2ccc84d0c2_b.jpg

2. Remove both driver's and passenger's plastic a-pillar covers. These run from beside the front windshield next to the dash to over the doors. Notice above each door where this trim piece goes over the rear wall trim piece and stops. This is the best place to begin popping them out. They are held only by clips that are designed to go on and off without damage so if you are reasonably careful you shouldn't have too much trouble. Note the thick rubber seal that they're tucked in behind - you'll need to be sure you tuck them back in when you re-install.
4164923339_2fbfa5631b_b.jpg

4165681832_2d76565f55_b.jpg

3. Remove the passenger side exit assist handle from the ceiling. While pulling it down, note the two plastic covers underneath where the handle is fastened to the ceiling. Pop these from the bottom, (side nearer your hand when you hold the handle). Phillips head screws underneath should remove easily.

Here's the handle being held down with the covers still on the screws:
4165659802_b61f15c619_b.jpg

4. Remove the passenger sunvisor by removing the two philips screws in its base. It will come down with a wire on a pigtail attached. Disconnect the wire and place the visor aside. Remove the plastic visor stop opposite the base that you just removed. It has an uncovered philips screw hidden on the windshield side.
4164921963_9a178275da_b.jpg

5. Remove the black face trim on the moonroof control/reading light panel to expose two phillips screws. Remove these screws and let the unit dangle. When it comes time to remove the headliner, you'll push the light through the hole.
4165680470_de7dcaa4d2_b.jpg

4165682668_a478c27185_b.jpg

6. Remove the driver's visor and visor stop as in #4 above.

7. Remove the rubber seal from the moonroof opening. Begin in one area and pull slowly. There is some glue but it will not keep you from removing the seal.
4164922947_282be15d3b_b.jpg

8. The headliner is almost ready to come out. Pull the headliner away from the body of the car around the moonroof opening where you just removed the rubber seal. There is some weak glue resisting you here, but you should be able to separate the headliner from the car without doing any damage to the headliner. The "glue" is really more like an adhesive spray.

Now the headliner can be removed from the car. Pull it down in the front, carefully feeding the moonroof control panel that you removed earlier through the its opening to free the headliner. Carefully bow the headliner in the rear to separate it from the two rear wall trim pieces, which are at this point the only things holding up the headliner. The headlliner will pull out from under these trim pieces, then you carefully remove the headliner from the car (this is one of the those points where a helper could make things easier). You basically have to "float" it above the seats, rotate it sideways with both doors open, then pull it out the door.

4164932013_88e4cd0ef1_b.jpg

9. Now the moonroof unit is exposed. Disconnect the wiring pigtail in the rear (its the grey connector with the red wiring as shown below).
4164927813_05c10ecf1c_b.jpg

Remove the moonroof assembly. It is held by eight 10mm bolts. Two in the front, and three on each side. There are rubber drain hoses at each corner - be sure to pull them off before you drop the assembly! This is the other point at which a helper may be needed.
Note: The assembly I bought came with a light grey sliding sun shade. My car has a dark gray sun shade so I transferred my old darker shade to the new assembly by bowing it slightly for removal and installation.

4164927413_0c10f4620d_b.jpg

4164924989_35964ae1f9_b.jpg

4164925457_0f9a70c341_b.jpg

10. The new moonroof assembly is ready to be installed. What you remove will look exactly like this too:
4161246133_343c0159ba_b.jpg

Note the moonroof here is in the full up and closed position. As long as it works, the moonroof can be in any position for this installation. Mine fit perfectly without adjustment, but if you need to adjust the fit of the moonroof glass, its held on the track by four torx head screws. There is a plastic trim piece on the side of the track that snaps off and swivels away from the rear. This exposes the torx screws. By loosening, moving, and re-tighening you can get the roof in exactly the right height and position for when its closed.
11. Install the new assembly as the reverse of removal: (It was raining when I did this as you can see)
4165688158_611cdf4083_b.jpg

If there is anything that I could explain better, please let me know.

This job was performed alone from 11pm-1am, outside, 34 degrees, freezing fog and rain using, two large trashbags taped in the middle and draped over the top to keep the rain out, all while taking these pictures.

Now what's your excuse for not doing this job if you need to??? ;)

Best wishes enjoying your Mark VIII!

Good job on your instructions. I'm ready to tackle it. I just need to get the parts now.

Members online

Back