Moonroof Jammed

Which is better?

• Total voters

MYTAXI

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 Signature Series Moonroof is still jammed.
I can't find a schematic of the whole assembly for free anywhere.. :repost:

there is either a stretched cable or something like a "guide shim" or something with the tracks that is screwed up. I got it to work once shortly after the problem happenend the first time. Then some " :q " goes and pushes the button to open it again and I have never been able to get it to fully pop back up into the roof since. :feedback :sleep:

MYTAXI said:
...I have never been able to get it to fully pop back up into the roof since...

Most likely:

The drive motor needs to be re-synchronized. It's a very simple process for the 1996/97, I'm not sure the same process applies to 2000 but I'll gladly put it together (the 96 process) if you think it would help?

Well... Plenty of Lincoln Votes out here...
I think that is just because the subscriber base here is mostly Linc...

I picked BOTH... I know I'm a fence sitter... But Lincoln don't make my car anymore...
And frankly, Im' not too into what they've got to offer lately.

JC

Anybody?

:feedback :feedback :feedback :L :invasion:

Anybody?

MYTAXI said:
:feedback :feedback :feedback :L :invasion:

Anybody?

WTF you saying??

Did you resync the motor, or you just like to flap your lips asking questions and not take advise?

Relax TC

WTF am I saying?

I can't find a schematic of the whole assembly for free anywhere.

Now, thank You TC, that seems like sound advice.

My Town Car is my Business. Time consuming maintenance like painting, Moon Roof Repairs etc. must be done when I am not paying over $100/day just to have the car on the road working. Therefore: When I am on Holidays in August, I want to have the schematics available to do the required repairs.

In August, the car gets a Holiday too. Almost like a trip to the spa. New Paint in a couple spots, fix the dent the kids put on fender, shampoo carpets, fix Moon Roof, new windshield. She has 440,000 Km so far. :L

The Re-Synch. may not be the problem, it may be something else, so I'm exploring possibilities here. That's what the forums are for, right?

With Schematics, I can remove the headliner etc. and see if there are issues in the track assembly(Suggested by Mechanic) or if there is a loose cable etc..I have a month and a half left to try to find all the info. I need. Two shops have refused to do the work in fear of breaking something and causing a bigger problem. :soapbox: :steering

MYTAXI said:
The Re-Synch. may not be the problem, it may be something else, so I'm exploring possibilities here. That's what the forums are for, right?

Ok, Fair enough. You should do this though, on eBay you can get an official Factory Service DVD for your 2000 for less than $20. This will definately have the diagnosis processes and adjustment procedures. I have the 1996 version, covers every Ford Car in 1996, and the process is in there. Of course, that's assuming this is a factory installation.

Several others (some on this board) have had the exact problem you describe, and re-syncing the drive motor corrects it.

The motor needs to know where to stop on both ends of the travel. In your case, it dosn't know where to stop.

eBay Service Manual Search
One eBay Auction
Make sure you get the official Ford manual, like this one:
Another eBay auction

I would like those instructions please Town Car

I would like those instructions please Town Car :wrench

Right now, the car is undergoing major repairs after being smashed by Police. :Bang

Other thread is: 2000 Town Car Smashed By Police :slam
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?p=82452#post82452

So, the car is still scheduled to be off road a while in August. I am getting closer to that time now. I would like those instructions please, they may be helpful to me. The Moonroof design may have changed, but the "Re-Synch" is the only sound solution anybody has thrown up here so far.

Thanks, please see other thread for pics. :GotPics:

:mad:

mytaxi...I think he's telling you to step up to the plate and buy the DVD! You will never be sorry you did anyway, so why not get it? You could probably have it in your hands sooner than I could paste and copy everything you need off my manual. There is a LOT of stuff pertaining to the moonroof...buy the damn thing!

MYTAXI said:
I would like those instructions please Town Car..
I believe 2001LS8Sport has some real good advice here. I could copy my 1996 prodedures, but they may not apply to your 2000 100% and leave you in a bad situation, and pissed at me if you choose to go for it with the 96.... :(

You can't go wrong with this CD:
$14.94 Delivered !!

Right now, the car is undergoing major repairs after being smashed by Police.

Maybe you can get the Police insurance to fix the moonroof too :)

Thank you.......

Thank you.....
I did think about the Police paying for it, but that's not possible. It is clearly not the result of the collision.

As for the DVD? Thanks again, but it was my understanding...

June 9th, 2005 02:46 PM
TownCar

"Most likely:
The drive motor needs to be re-synchronized. It's a very simple process for the 1996/97, I'm not sure the same process applies to 2000 but I'll gladly put it together (the 96 process) if you think it would help?"

:Beer :gr_hail: :slam

I am hoping to get her back this weekend.....
I miss my Town Car so much.........
:L

I used a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS for a little over a week, but I felt like I was being punished for something the whole time. It's not a Lincoln....
I miss the Leather Interior, the nice smell, how comfortable it is..... :steering

MYTAXI said:
As for the DVD? Thanks again, but it was my understanding...
June 9th, 2005 02:46 PM
TownCar
"Most likely:
The drive motor needs to be re-synchronized. It's a very simple process for the 1996/97, I'm not sure the same process applies to 2000 but I'll gladly put it together (the 96 process) if you think it would help?"

Ok, I've copied the entire 1996 Moonroof section of the manual to pdf files. They've lost their hyperlinking interactivity which is why the original CD/DVD has additional value however, I can't upload the files here due to upload size limitations, both pdf, and zip.

Funny, every post you make includes "I Love My Lincoln", I Miss My Lincoln" etc, yet you won't buy her a $15 repair manual :(

I'll take those pdf's to a web page, or email them to whomever's interested...
Maybe both as time permits.

So, give me an email address if you want a copy (.zip 1.5meg) or wait till I get a chance to post the files on a web page, I'll confirm that here when the time comes.

My profile contains contact info.

Thank you

Thank you.

I won't buy the DVD because I plan to get an Executive L Series soon if I can. I don't know if the stuff will be the same. I am also so broke right now that it's not funny. Every day off in "Taxiland" costs two or three days to get back to where you were. :bash:

I did have another car for a brief while, but my bills on the Town Car continue to climb. Therefore I am actually paying for two cars and going deeper into debt everyday. :Bang

Nobody said it would be easy......
Situations like this are why so many Caucasion people leave the Taxi Industry here. I plan to change to Limo/Sedan as soon as my client list is big enough. I have only been driving days for 14 months now, so my client list is in it's infancy.

Once again, Thank You.
:yourock:

Lifter Guide Broken

I thank you all for the input; especially Towncar for sending me the pdf files.

Yesterday(Boxing day 2006), I finally got the headliner and everything else out. When I was able to, I popped up the moon roof and after several detailed inspections determined: The "Lifter Guide"? (I think that is what it is called)is broken. It is a very small piece of metal that can not be ordered separately. Specifically: The front part of this lifter guide has broken away from the rear part. When the switch is depressed to retract the moonroof, the rear part of the lifter guide moves back but the front part does not. The pictures probably won't help. I'm not a photographer at all.

Anyways: After checking around, I find quotes between $1200 + Labour to $1600 + Labour.:mad: I don't need the whole track assembly; I just need the lifter guide!!! Sigh; I guess I will just find a way to keep it closed for now and keep my ears open for a lucky used part. The wreckers won't let me take just the piece I need and they want $1000 for the assembly. I don't have that kind of money.

640,000Km on Original Engine and Original Transmission and still going.......:D

moonroof1.jpg

moonroof2.jpg

moonroof3.jpg

If ya wait till tomorrow I have access to AllData and Mitchell. I'll grab what it says tomorrow...

Members online

No members online now.
Back