Moog Tie Rod End exploded in 5 miles

112 LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there some way I could have installed this incorrectly, or should I just chalk it up to a bad part?

0819180923b(1).jpg

Unless you ran a screwdriver through the inside of the boot, I'm really not sure what could have caused such a failure. I've had my fair share of mishaps with ball joint boots, but usually the failure is on the horizontal, not vertical plane; seems hard to pinch the boot vertically and for the tear to spread that fast. From the raised profile on the right side of the tear, it looks to me like this failed along the seam of the boot, which would indicate poor construction.

...or maybe you just used some sort of grease based on acetone, or something that would dissolve rubber that fast... o_O (this part is really a bad joke)

I've been reading that Moog really is slipping on the quality of their parts and aren't what they used to be. Is this true?

Per chance... when you tightened the nut down,,, did you hold the nut with a wrench and turn the hex on the stud with some sort of ratchet/socket, impact, or air ratchet?

I know since MOOG has moved most of their production out of the U.S. the quality of their products has become somewhat suspect. If nothing else they still come with a lifetime warranty last time I checked. Hopefully you saved the receipt, and it was purched locally.

Wow that sucks. Are those maybe the servicable kinds that you have to greese em? Maybe they didnt have greese in them?

They are def have the grease fittings, but I don't have a grease gun so I figured I could make it to the alignment shop and have them do it. The part was installed with hand tools, same as I did on the other side (that side is ok).

Apparently the moog sway bar link I installed at the same time is bad too? wtf?! it doesn't look damaged, nor could I move it with my hand.

I bought these off Amazon a couple years ago and just never got around to putting them in. Doubt I have any warranty chances.

0819180944.jpg

0819180922.jpg

Looks like you need some motorcraft tie rod ends and sway bar links.

I had a problem with similar sway bar links going bad in few months.

They are def have the grease fittings, but I don't have a grease gun so I figured I could make it to the alignment shop and have them do it. The part was installed with hand tools, same as I did on the other side (that side is ok).

Apparently the moog sway bar link I installed at the same time is bad too? wtf?! it doesn't look damaged, nor could I move it with my hand.

I bought these off Amazon a couple years ago and just never got around to putting them in. Doubt I have any warranty chances.

View attachment 828570304

View attachment 828570305

Got em' coming this Friday, also in the box are two rear links and alignment rods.

Another $500 into this car. Sometime I wish I had just fallen in love with a nice Honda Accord instead.

Got em' coming this Friday, also in the box are two rear links and alignment rods.

Another $500 into this car. Sometime I wish I had just fallen in love with a nice Honda Accord instead.
Eh, they are not as fun to drive. You've got a keeper.

Members online

Back