Money i've spent recently

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about the money i have put into my LS recently.

1)I'll start with the top expense.... new tranny, $3000 at dealer with warranty

2)Rear subs fell apart, looked for a replacement 6X9 sub and those arent easy to find. Wanted to keep it stock so i dropped $90 for two new oem subs. Direct swap and sounds good. I have no problem with the stock upgraded system.

3)New center console. Mine had some cracks where my elbow rests, bought T Money's armrest from his wrecked '06. Perfect condition. $30

4)Window regulator. Pain in a$$ but did myself. $85

5)New Brakes. Routine expense. $180

6)Headlight cleaning with 3M kit. Easy job, great results. $30

What a money trap!! LS is not for people with tight budgets. Seems way too many very common repairs that occur.

Other than the Tranny those are all reasonable, routine expenses for a car that is 7+ years old and one hundred and... how many miles on yours again? 150k?

I agree with everyone else,, your getting off easy.

I have much more invested, all for things / upgrades that I wanted. My daughters Honda has much more than you and thets with suspention, exhaust, brake and trans service all of that routine older car preventive maintence. Shee told me last week that she wants to buy a Lincoln cause the only money my car costs is to make it look better!!

You got hosed on the tranny. Everything else is routine.

No hosing done here. Trust me. I researched the hell out of all options. Sure i could have saved a little by buying the tranny myself, but then dealing with a core charge and returning the old tranny.... forget it. They didnt take my old unit out and rebuild it, they installed an oem tranny that is as new as you'll get for a '05 vehicle. Got installed by the dealer and comes with a 3 yr warranty. Parts, labor, fluid for a new tranny.... I'm perfectly happy with $3k.

Btw people....this is money spent within the last 6 months or so. Didnt bother listing every repair that has been done since i've owned the car:

On third complete set of coils
New: plugs
Degas
radiator
dccv
all coolant plastic parts
oil filter adapter
.... list goes on and on.

Compared to the 2001 Intrepid that is now gone the Lincoln has had a ton of parts replaced. As inferior as a Dodge Intrepid may be to a Lincoln i changed the oil, bought new tires and put gas in that Dodge. At the end of its life at 120K miles it did develop an a/c leak and i sold it that way. I had two different models of a Trans Am that i beat the living piss out of and never had the number of repairs that the LS has required. The guy at the dealer laughs at me when i complain about all the repairs. Tells me about how the LS had so many different mechanical aspects to it that the engineers obviously got wrong and got phased out along with the LS. The LS and T-Bird platform where a failure and thats why it got killed. Dont let anyone else fool you otherwise. Besides rwd, V8, good suspension the LS was a engineering flop.

All of that was routine maintenece except for the transmission.

Your doing fine, any car would cost to recondition to a reliable condition.

People don't think about the money loss of a new car. 1) Instant depreciation 2) Sales tax...almost $3,000 for a $40,000+ car. 2) Finance charges $8,000-9,000 extra for a 5 year loan. 3) Higher cost of insurance!!! 4) Other hidden fees...some states/cities have vehicle or personal property taxes.

Your doing fine!

Your doing fine, any car would cost to recondition to a reliable condition.

People don't think about the money loss of a new car. 1) Instant depreciation 2) Sales tax...almost $3,000 for a $40,000+ car. 2) Finance charges $8,000-9,000 extra for a 5 year loan. 3) Higher cost of insurance!!! 4) Other hidden fees...some states/cities have vehicle or personal property taxes.

Your doing fine!

At this point the LS is fullfilling my needs. Providing transportation from point A to point B in a safe and comfortable manner with no payment. As soon as safe and comfortable no longer exist neither will the LS. This coming from a guy who still uses an "older" samsung cell phone with no touch screen, no 4G, no ability to watch movies. Im a pretty basic person. At some point the LS will no longer provide those basics needs, when that time comes.... who knows?

The trans did not need to be replaced and the problems that you had with your original will return with this one. Only the solenoid problem was fixed; a $300 part. The servos and spring are just as weak as they ever were.

@Fla02LS where would I go to get the best window tint? I live in Tampa Bay area and just moved there recently. I like your wheels better than mine.

The trans did not need to be replaced and the problems that you had with your original will return with this one. Only the solenoid problem was fixed; a $300 part. The servos and spring are just as weak as they ever were.

But for the next three years he has peace of mind that he would not be liable. In the end those problems may never come to be.

Well i sure am glad you have the ability to correctly diagnose a car using the internet. The trans case had a chunck missing and the internals were trashed smart guy. Saw with my own two eyes. If the original tranny lasted 176K miles then i'll wait another 176K miles for the new one to fail.

@Fla02LS where would I go to get the best window tint? I live in Tampa Bay area and just moved there recently. I like your wheels better than mine.

I dont think the shop is as important as the type of tint used. A really good installer could use crap tint, or a crap installer could use good tint. The place i have had my last four cars done is now gone. I think my wheels are the nicest stock chrome rims to come on the LS. My opinion anyway.

Well i sure am glad you have the ability to correctly diagnose a car using the internet. The trans case had a chunck missing and the internals were trashed smart guy. Saw with my own two eyes. If the original tranny lasted 176K miles then i'll wait another 176K miles for the new one to fail.

Pics or it didn't happen.

And I've gotten to be quite good at diagnosing 5r55's over the internet; the friction lines are bullet-proof.

I have read this a few times on other threads on Lvc

176k on the original trans is not bad at all I hope mine last that long.

Members online

Back