Mobil 1 Oil Specs

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm putting up a link to the current specs of Mobil 1 oil as it appears they no longer have a SL rated oil as mentioned in the Oct 2016 post below that the 2000-2004 LS's came with from the factory, while he says the 2005-2006 came with SN rated oil. Most Mobil 1's have the SN but no SL rating now. I'm not sure how important it actually is, but here is the information if anyone would like to see it. I've been using Mobil 1 for over 30 years, I think it's great stuff.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I am not going to get into the mudslinging and name calling here, but there are a couple REAL “anal retentive engineering type” issues you should consider here and those are;

1) The tendency of Mobil 1 oil TBN values fall off slightly quicker during use than some other equivalent weight premium fully synthetic motor oils. Mobil 1 5w-20 TBN values start out with values of 2.70 to 2.75, while the values for the 5w-30 weights start out at 3.00 to 3.30. For comparison Redline SN rated 5w-20 has a TBN value of 3.00

2) The valve train design of the AJ-V8 engine uses direct contact bucket followers on camshaft lobes – that type of contact is similar to an older pushrod engine with a flat tappet camshaft. SN rated oil have reduced levels of ZDDP anti friction additives compared to the oils which were the factory fills in LS engines. The 2000-2004 LS V8 engines were factory filled with SL rated oil, while the 2005-2006 LS V8 engines were filled with SM rated oil. Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated 5w-20 and 5w-30 oil have 1000 PPM phosphorus and 1100 PPM zinc compared to the SN rated oils with 800 PPM phosphorus and 900 PPM zinc values. Simply put the SL rated oils offer greater protection against valve train wear than the SN rated oils in the AJ-V8 engine.

Because of all of this, I personally blend about equal parts of Mobil 1 High Mileage SL rated 5w-20 and 5w-30 oil (that I buy at Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs for about $26) when I change the oil in my ’04 Gen II LS V8 engine. I also use the slightly longer Gen I oil filter on my Gen II engine, even with the reduced clearance to the serpentine accessory drive belt.

As always of course, YMMV. Stepping way now to put on my flame retardant fire suit.

Yes I heard about the change a couple months ago. I went to my local Wal-Mart, searched all the shelves and found the last two or three 5-quart jugs of the older Mobil 1 SL rated 5W-20 and 5W-30 High Mileage oil. Not sure what I will do after those are gone - may have to sell the car ;)

The issue is that the LS V8 DOHC engine uses a direct action camshaft lobe on a bucket (with shim) lifter. This arrangement is very similar as far as wear characteristics to the old flat tappet lifter on camshaft lobe used in most older OHV V8 engines. The greatly decreased amount of ZDDP additive in motor oil from SL to SM and now SN ratings that has been well documented as causing wear camshaft lobe wear issues in older OHV V8 engine with flat tappet lifters, also effect our LS V8 engines.

So yes there is a very real reason to be concerned with not being able to readily find an SL rated oil for our LS V8 engines.

Diesel rated oil with zinc has been recommended for older pre-catalytic converter engines.

It would be nice if someone would post a story about oil additives that reduce wear in Lincoln LS's.
Not worried about my 2000 LS.

Members online

No members online now.
Back